• Ings
    • Watkins
    • Hause (Konsa 45)
    • Coutinho (Sanson 68)
    • Chukwuemeka (Ings 76)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/01/22 at 23:59

14 hours ago, Mic09 said:

When was the last season they didn't beat us in the league? 

Not sure if anyone answered this but it was 1996/7 when we had 0-0 draws in both games.

Better still, in 1995/6 we beat them 3-1 at our place and drew 0-0 at theirs.

Edited by briny_ear

It's funny how a 2 goal recovery for a Desmond seems better than giving up a 2 goal lead. Still ,very frustrating though when the goals are gifted. 

JJ's performance was a reflection of the whole team. Lacklustre in the first and up several gears in the second.

Buendia Man of the match. His threaded pass to put in Ramsey for the assist was sublime. Good debut by Digne & a nice performance by Sanson. Emi's mistake was a rare gaff and should be consigned to history and never spoken of again. As mentioned by many, the Ings/Watkins combo is just not working and shows no prospect of it either. Both were poor last night. Hopefully the return of SJM will give SG more options on how to address this. Just pick one and put the extra resource into other productive areas.

The wait goes on for that elusive home victory but you sense it is coming.

Somehow got through this without mentioning Coutinho, I am sure there will be many gushing words to come, the body language looks promising and just his presence seemed to give everyone a lift. I bet JJ & Chuck are pinching themselves when playing one-twos with the magician. 

The future look promising, such a shame the season is not starting now! UTV.

• Like 2

Decided to not watch the game yesterday due to having had enough of VAR, refs and Manure.

Watched it this morning instead after seeing the result and having read this thread. Honestly don't think we were THAT bad even in the first half, second half was really good.

What a comeback thou!

bowery_zpsb633ae25.gif

Edited by sne
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lochheads twin said:

It's funny how a 2 goal recovery for a Desmond seems better than giving up a 2 goal lead. Still ,very frustrating though when the goals are gifted. 

JJ's performance was a reflection of the whole team. Lacklustre in the first and up several gears in the second.

Buendia Man of the match. His threaded pass to put in Ramsey for the assist was sublime. Good debut by Digne & a nice performance by Sanson. Emi's mistake was a rare gaff and should be consigned to history and never spoken of again. As mentioned by many, the Ings/Watkins combo is just not working and shows no prospect of it either. Both were poor last night. Hopefully the return of SJM will give SG more options on how to address this. Just pick one and put the extra resource into other productive areas.

The wait goes on for that elusive home victory but you sense it is coming.

Somehow got through this without mentioning Coutinho, I am sure there will be many gushing words to come, the body language looks promising and just his presence seemed to give everyone a lift. I bet JJ & Chuck are pinching themselves when playing one-twos with the magician. 

The future look promising, such a shame the season is not starting now! UTV.

PC's pitch IQ and his reading looks top draw....I don't think he is fully fit yet, but his presence as you say is inspiring.

I thought Buendia was stating a claim too.....also, we had so many, with quick feet in the box at the end, it undone United.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Villa have upgraded their LB now the midfield needs the same. I’d sell both Luiz & Sanson and replace with Bissouma and one other. Who that other is I don’t know but Villa’s lack of consistency can be attributed to a weak midfield. When was the last time Villa strung a set of good results together? Both Sanson and Luiz are simply not good enough to push Villa where they need to be, challenging for Europe.

Concerning the game Villa were playing probably the worst Man U side I’ve seen for a very long time yet still stood off them in the first half, again in admiration. Then gifted Man U two goals with two awful mistakes. Gerrard rightly got into the players at half time with a much better second half performance.

Most on here seem happy with the result. I’m not as Man U were there for the taking. A culmination of errors and a lack of self belief denied Villa a win to end that awful record against Man U at Villa Park.

Gerrard is trying to change that mentality by bringing better players with a winners’ mentality to the club. That will also hopefully apply to Villa’s current midfield.

Edited by striker
  • Like 1

If we can stop shooting ourselves in the foot by gifting goals to the opposition and giving the ball away too often we can be a very good side.   

So many misplaced passes especially first 25 minutes when we were awful.  Some of that was due to trying to play higher risk key passes to set up attacks especially Buendia,  but some of it was just plain sloppiness.  

Much better second half and probably deserved to win it overall.

I was hoping that Villa might end their losing-streak at home to Manchester United, with an unlikely win, but it turned out to be far more dramatic, in the outcome. United had been pretty poor in their FA Cup encounter with Villa, a few days before, but they were certainly quicker out of the blocks, than a lethargic timorous-looking Villa, who were missing the dynamic John McGinn. Villa's outfield players were seemingly unable to get out of their own half, during the early stages, but it seemed that it was goalkeeper Martinez who had got out of the wrong side of bed, as he made the sort unlikely fluff, which will get him included in goalkeeping blooper reels, of the future.

Villa eventually got into the game and created their one first-half chance, which unfortunately was aimed straight at United's fine goalkeeper. Villa dominated the opening of the second-half but didn't make many opportunities. The Villa contingent were wondering when Coutinho was going to be brought on, when Villa's Sanson under-hit a back pass into the path of a United player, and Fred made it two-nil. As Coutinho entered the fray, a minute later, it looked like his much dreamed-of debut, was going to be a damp squib. Happily it turned out to be the exact opposite.

When the Villa sold Jack Grealish to Man City, the management assured the fans, that they had recruited players, who were capable of replacing the skills which Jack brought to the team, which was a reasonable claim, but what was subsequently proven, was that, it was the absence of Jack's inspiration, which proved the stumbling-block, as the confidence of the team proved rather volatile, after the merest of set-backs. It seems from the transformation, which took place when Coutinho came onto the pitch, that Villa might have remedied that deficiency, and his equalising goal was the crowning culmination of that hope.

Brilliant Villa debuts don't always materialise into brilliant Villa careers, but there certainly looks like there are plenty of reasons to hope.

Belief seems to be nine parts, of the game!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I don't think there's a more odious character in football than this chap, he's very Portuguese.

Sorry, I usually enjoy rerading your post-match posts but this was unfortunate. 

26 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Sounds like we started playing as soon as I turned off :D

Yeah, same for me. I had to turn it off just before half time because we were having guests over for dinner (wife’s idea, I wasn’t consulted) and felt almost relieved not having to watch it.

Then checked the result and watched the rest of the game from the Coutinho substitution after the guests had left. 

It was fun, but man I wish I could have watched it live now. 

Heard Ragnick and a few Man Utd fans saying that’s there best performance since he’s been there. 

Not seen any of their other games but that is hilarious if it’s true. I thought other than first 25/30 mins they were totally pants. 

Sanson was our best player in the 1st half, Buendia was our best player for the whole 90 mins he was superb, Ramsey was outstanding, coutinho and Chukwuemeka together was amazing the link up play between a few of them at times was magical 😍, very unhappy with watkins body language reaction to both goals we scored its as if he isn’t bothered and doesn’t care, anyone else notice ? ... beautiful football played at villa park, but the record continues 27 years and counting for our first win against united at VP , what a woeful shocking record 🤦🏽‍♂️ Glad we didnt lose however. Carney has to start more if we play him and coutinho together that would be ace , competition in our squad in those areas are now frightening .

1 hour ago, striker said:

Villa have upgraded their LB now the midfield needs the same. I’d sell both Luiz & Sanson and replace with Bissouma and one other. Who that other is I don’t know but Villa’s lack of consistency can be attributed to a weak midfield. When was the last time Villa strung a set of good results together? Both Sanson and Luiz are simply not good enough to push Villa where they need to be, challenging for Europe.

Concerning the game Villa were playing probably the worst Man U side I’ve seen for a very long time yet still stood off them in the first half, again in admiration. Then gifted Man U two goals with two awful mistakes. Gerrard rightly got into the players at half time with a much better second half performance.

Most on here seem happy with the result. I’m not as Man U were there for the taking. A culmination of errors and a lack of self belief denied Villa a win to end that awful record against Man U at Villa Park.

Gerrard is trying to change that mentality by bringing better players with a winners’ mentality to the club. That will also hopefully apply to Villa’s current midfield.

Sanson was our best player in the first half 

• Like 2

Decent evening at VP in the end despite not seeming like it would be for much of the game.

Really out of character mistake by Emi for their first goal. We’d allowed ourselves to be hemmed in pretty much from the kick off and that error sort of set the tone for the first third of the game. Maybe he was unsettled by the Darren Randolph chat :trollface: in a way though it was good for the fans to let him know how much he means to us straight after and he was back to his usual commanding self for the rest of the game.

Digne was good. His positioning is such a level up on Targett. No idea why Mings was refusing to pass to him for much of the first half but hopefully that won’t continue. Annoying that the El Ghazi boo boy in front of me has seamlessly switched his ire toward Digne already (for example, on 26 minutes, “I’ve seen enough, get Targett back in the team”).

Mings had a poor game I thought. Konsa and Hause solid enough, hope it’s not a bad injury for Ez. Cash was alright, a little more composure required at times in attack but still think he’s good enough. Noticed SG in his ear a lot last night throughout the second half.

Thought Luiz was a bit off the pace last night but still want him in the team. Ramsey poor first half but excellent in the second, real credit to him and our coaches just how much he’s come on in the last 12 months. I thought Sanson was our best player until he went off too (didn’t spot at the game that his mistake had led to the second goal, still need to watch highlights back). 

Just on their second goal, well done to Fernandes for scoring it considering he was dead on the floor mere minutes before! Second time in a week I’ve had the displeasure of watching him in the flesh, nasty character!

Buendia is starting to show us why we spent the big money, very good. Another vote for Ings/Watkins doesn’t work but I don’t think we’ll see much more of that combo now we’ve got Coutinho in. Think they’ll rotate and it’ll benefit us as they should both be hungry to keep their spot!

Voted PC MOTM purely for his impact. An assist (oddly not awarded) and goal off the bench, can’t ask for much more from your sub. Thought he pressed and passed well too. Also thought Carney was excellent when he came on, sign the contract please pal!

Felt it was all quite flat in the ground until Coutinho came on, almost like everyone was just waiting for that (our players too given the first half ‘performance’ - for want of a better word). At 2-1/2 though VP was rocking for a bit- felt the Buendia injury on 90 mins took the wind out of the crowd’s sails though.

All in all, nice to do a Man United job on Man United. Decent run of fixtures now to string a few wins together. Looking forward to seeing Bailey Buendia Coutinho together!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Makes me want to see the 1-2 and 2-2 reactions. Luiz's "stamp" (/accidental tread) clearly didn't harm Bruno at all, given he then stood up and ran straight through to score.

The ire would be better directed at Bruno for being a cancer on the game with his diving and constant berating of the ref.

Â