• Ings
    • Watkins
    • Hause (Konsa 45)
    • Coutinho (Sanson 68)
    • Chukwuemeka (Ings 76)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/01/22 at 23:59

How we missed the work rate of McGinn in that first half and it seems we still have a way to go to play the intense stevie g football that we all want. Emi was at fault for the first goal but we had a silly tackle for the free kick and then we do not know how to play offside for the ball in, we have to be smarter in our play and decision making has to be far more focussed as the second goal shows. The manager got into them at half time and it was game on to show what we can be, the youngsters were a delight to see and led the way showing the energy needed at this level providing the perfect game for Coutinho to shine in front of the Holte.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I almost forgot...a special word for whoever it is that lives inside the Bella the Lioness costume. 

The piss take of Cavani when he was pretending to be injured was fantastic work - bravo!

totally forgot about that! it was brilliant! had a quick look on twitter and doesn't look like anyone got it on video

Despite the pluses (Coutinho, Ramsey, Buendía, Digne and a comeback against United) that was one of our best opportunities since the hoodoo began and we still couldn't end it. Sooo annoying. And Martínez, of all people!

As a little consolation at least it was them who blew a 2-0 lead in the fixture this time and not us! At least we pissed them off! I can remember that Andi Weimann brace in December 2012, just horrible, watching the whole game on TV. Can't remember the other one though).

Edited by robby b

On 15/01/2022 at 19:37, Mic09 said:

When was the last season they didn't beat us in the league? 

2009/2010.

Aston Villa 1-1 Man Utd (Cuellar, Collins og)
Man Utd 0-1 Aston Villa (Gabby)

They knocked us out of the Carling Cup that year too.

Before that it was the 96/97 season with two nil-all draws.

• Thanks 1

On 16/01/2022 at 12:33, striker said:

Villa have upgraded their LB now the midfield needs the same. I’d sell both Luiz & Sanson and replace with Bissouma and one other. Who that other is I don’t know but Villa’s lack of consistency can be attributed to a weak midfield. When was the last time Villa strung a set of good results together? Both Sanson and Luiz are simply not good enough to push Villa where they need to be, challenging for Europe.

Concerning the game Villa were playing probably the worst Man U side I’ve seen for a very long time yet still stood off them in the first half, again in admiration. Then gifted Man U two goals with two awful mistakes. Gerrard rightly got into the players at half time with a much better second half performance.

Most on here seem happy with the result. I’m not as Man U were there for the taking. A culmination of errors and a lack of self belief denied Villa a win to end that awful record against Man U at Villa Park.

Gerrard is trying to change that mentality by bringing better players with a winners’ mentality to the club. That will also hopefully apply to Villa’s current midfield.

Yes as poor as Villa were first half you have to give some credit to United. I think they look a better team without Ronaldo and thats certainly the best half of football they played for a while. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, TRO said:

bloke kept getting up in front of me, wasn't a regular...I guess 'cause it was Man U

I tapped him on the shoulder and said "can you sit down, we have seats for a reason"

He said "I just want to sing"....I said "Have you tried the Royal Albert Hall"?

He laughed and said " You can't sing sitting down".....I said " Val Doonican did"

I think it had the desired Affect....He sat down.

Was he old enough to remember Val Doonigan? 😁

• Haha 1

On 16/01/2022 at 08:24, Talldarkandransome said:

MOTD has been pants for ages now. Its time Linekar and his comedy moved on

The pundits are told what to do.....favour the top teams.....even Dion Dublin has been radicalised to top 6 bias.

They have ear pieces for a reason.

but I will say this......it will be an up hill struggle and we will convince no one, of our progress.....while we surround ourselves in schoolboy errors, for conceded goals.

All teams make mistakes and concede goals, ours are just..............Mehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Was he old enough to remember Val Doonigan? 😁

who cares? judging by his singing the "Royal Albert Hall" could be a stretch too.......but it might have resonated with my age and my arthritic knees.

They make a noise, like an old barn door opening, nowadays🙄

Edited by TRO
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

who cares? judging by his singing the "Royal Albert Hall" could be a stretch too.......but it might have resonated with my age and my arthritic knees.

They make a noise, like an old barn door opening, now🙄

That should have been enough for him to remain seated then 😉

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, BOF said:

2009/2010.

Aston Villa 1-1 Man Utd (Cuellar, Collins og)
Man Utd 0-1 Aston Villa (Gabby)

They knocked us out of the Carling Cup that year too.

Before that it was the 96/97 season with two nil-all draws.

Collins you fool !

😑

28 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

Don't know if this has been posted before, but well worth the 20 mins it takes to watch. So good it deserves this  Gif,

giphy.gif

Does Villa have the equivalent of these live watches? I'd  search myself, but I'm afraid I'd find something. ... Simple yes no will suffice.

6 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

Does Villa have the equivalent of these live watches? I'd  search myself, but I'm afraid I'd find something. ... Simple yes no will suffice.

Morons on youtube? No I don't think so.

On 17/01/2022 at 14:59, PaulC said:

Yes as poor as Villa were first half you have to give some credit to United. I think they look a better team without Ronaldo and thats certainly the best half of football they played for a while. 

They are similar to us in some ways.....They don't like being pressed or closed down and we accomodated them....We invited them to the initiative and they took it, they then imposed themselves on us, when we had the ball and we stood off them when they had it.

It comes back to the old adage....." you have to win the right to play football"

Steven Gerrard was right in his summing up, we was far too "passive" in the first half, showing Utd too much respect.....SG was also right in defending Martinez, when he said " It was coming"...it was and it could have happened in a different guise.

The set up for the goal in terms of defending the free kick was a joke.....hindsight is an exact science, but we let too many teams have shots in....we went back to " easy to play against " in that first half....No pitch IQ of how to defend.

Our team, hasn't got natural aggression in it, it has to be Growled/driven in to them....Mcginn was a huge miss in that respect, but we need a few more with a growl in them.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

On 15/01/2022 at 19:47, VillaChris said:

Should've won that in the end.

Still 4 points in the most jinxed fixture played in last 25 years isn't bad return.

Few points from that.

Digne is going to be such an upgrade on Targett it's untrue. Rusty for first 20 minutes but he actually has an idea what to do once he crosses the halfway line.

First time this season Buendia looked 30m + player. I've been a critic but he's been good last 3-4 matches and all our best moves came through him.

Ramsey was poor first hour and suddenly out of nowhere came into the game. That's maturity and his close control is a joy to watch.

Can we please please please stop playing Ings and Watkins together. Yet again today with just one forward on the pitch and countless midfielders we play some really good football. I expect that to be the template starting at Goodison next Saturday lunchtime.

We might not finish top 8 this season but we're going to be really fun to watch for next four months so just enjoy the show as last 15 minutes was the warm up act.

We will only start beating Man. United on regular basis when we stop gifting them ridiculous goals in each half. No issue with ref tonight but you don't half give yourself uphill battle when one of best keepers in the league chucks one in after five minutes and then Sanson plays a ridiculous ball.

Still good point in the end and Everton are very beatable. If we can schedule Burnley at home soon I fancy us to go on another decent run with what we have for next two months.

Please can we stop playing Ings

You highlighted some good points there. 

Â