Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

8 hours ago, A'Villan said:

I find it strange that we are even deliberating Coutinho's quality.

That's not because I'm still awe struck by his Inter Milan and Liverpool days.

I simply see him as having that magic and genius that few players are capable of, and while that's far from every moment he's on the ball, he's adequate, if not above average at his worst.

I'm not saying he'll be a raging success here, or that something is amiss if he isn't, because we have a squad that's quite competitive for places up front in attack. He may get overlooked, and even rightfully so.Debating whether the player is able at the level we want and need though isn't really a tough one in my book. He's class.

This. 

• Like 3

I still think technically he's the best player we have...it's whether Coutinho has the desire.

Yes, Buendia, Bailey, Traore have skills but not quite to the same level.

Emery might be the man to help Coutinho; let us not think too negatively here.

• Like 1

For me personally he has to be given a chance under Unai. If however he fails to deliver then I have no issue him being moved on. If, as has been mooted, it is the "fire in his belly" that's missing then that is totally uncoachable. I'm not entirely convinced it is that however.

9 hours ago, A'Villan said:

I find it strange that we are even deliberating Coutinho's quality.

That's not because I'm still awe struck by his Inter Milan and Liverpool days.

I simply see him as having that magic and genius that few players are capable of, and while that's far from every moment he's on the ball, he's adequate, if not above average at his worst.

I'm not saying he'll be a raging success here, or that something is amiss if he isn't, because we have a squad that's quite competitive for places up front in attack. He may get overlooked, and even rightfully so.

Debating whether the player is able at the level we want and need though isn't really a tough one in my book. He's class.

He wasnt above average at his worst, he wasnt even average at his worst. The take that hes better than most players, even at his worst, was the view that Gerrard seemingly had. 

I hope that he can improve under Emery and be useful to us but hes been a complete passenger end of last season and start of this.

Yes on his Instagram it seems PC was in Brazil for a few days but back now. Little Emi is in Dubai according to his - or maybe back now? I wonder how they get on taking their kids out of school in term time?

1 hour ago, zab6359 said:

Those not on world cup duty seem to have been given some R & R time can't see an issue with that tbh?

I can, when we have lost more than we have won this season. Plus the players at the WC aren’t getting any rest time.. should be using this time to learn and adapt to a new way of playing. 
But, two good performances before the ‘break’ may suggest we are turning things around. A chance to get away for a bit might be good for morale etc. I’m still surprised though. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Hev said:

Yes on his Instagram it seems PC was in Brazil for a few days but back now. Little Emi is in Dubai according to his - or maybe back now? I wonder how they get on taking their kids out of school in term time?

No need. The nannies take them to school.

7 minutes ago, Tayls said:

I can, when we have lost more than we have won this season. Plus the players at the WC aren’t getting any rest time.. should be using this time to learn and adapt to a new way of playing. 
But, two good performances before the ‘break’ may suggest we are turning things around. A chance to get away for a bit might be good for morale etc. I’m still surprised though. 

We don't know how long their break is, so I won't lose my shit, it might just be a few days. I'd hope it's no longer than that.We should absolutely be taking the opportunity to drill in what Emery wants into the majority of the squad and try to get the benefit of this time without matches so close to his appointment.

There's a lot of work to be getting on with.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Hev said:

Luiz was in Brazil too, Ollie is in the maldives

Archer was in the gym 💪

The game has changed somewhat hasn't it, you'd like to think they understand their health and fitness enough to know that they can take a week or two off, they can have a beer, they can go partying but the next day they need to flush it out of their system

There was a lot of players in the summer who looked like they took a PT with them on holiday including JJ and Chambers on holiday together still doing daily work outs

Â