Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

12 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Because I can see in a player who has lost the fire in their belly.

Would love to be proven wrong and watch him return to his Liverpool days but it ain't happening sadly.

Probably Purslow's fault

Edited by sidcow

45 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

@Pinebro Just give him a fair chance and postpone your judgements til after we've seen him play for Emery. It's only fair.

Should we recall Wesley and Davis to give them a fair chance?

I'm not going to imidiately change my mind about a player because of a new manager.

My thoughts and opinions aren't unmovable and if he improves as a player so will my opinions.

All I'm saying is that I think he is done at this level. That isn't based on only the last year but many years of clear decline. 

Edited by Pinebro

2 hours ago, duke313 said:

No need to be, he gets a clean slate like everyone else.  

I was probably responding to the rumours, if we have chance to cut losses now then what do we do. Do we hope Emery gets him back to his best or trade in while we have an opportunity.

Of course I could leave all of this to Emery but I'm pretty bored and it's an internet forum designed for these types of conversations.

18 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Should we recall Wesley and Davis to give them a fair chance?

I'm not going to imidiately change my mind about a player because of a new manager.

My thoughts and opinions aren't unmovable and if he improves as a player so will my opinions.

All I'm saying is that I think he is done at this level. That isn't based on only the last year but many years of clear decline. 

Wesley, the player that got permanently injured? unfair comparison.

Davis, who has NEVER in his career hinted at being world class? also unfair comparison.

Coutinho actually did play good for us in the beginning as many have pointed out. He then regressed immensely under Gerrard, as did most if not all our players.

Since a lot of players who also regressed under Gerrard are now proving not to be utterly shite and beyond remorse, why is Coutinho viewed as a clear exception to this rule here?

I dunno, you seem so dead certain he is finished and I guess I just can't see why.

Either way we both hope he comes good since he's our player and he's still on our books so I guess we can leave it at that and wish for the best. :)

• Like 3

Just now, osmark86 said:

Wesley, the player that got permanently injured? unfair comparison.

Davis, who has NEVER in his career hinted at being world class? also unfair comparison.

Coutinho actually did play good for us in the beginning as many have pointed out. He then regressed immensely under Gerrard, as did most if not all our players.

Since a lot of players who also regressed under Gerrard are now proving not to be utterly shite and beyond remorse, why is Coutinho viewed as a clear exception to this rule here?

I dunno, you seem so dead certain he is finished and I guess I just can't see why.

Either way we both hope he comes good since he's our player and he's still on our books so I guess we can leave it at that and wish for the best. :)

Coutinho is 30 years old.

How much exactly do you expect him to develop at this rate?

I'd be delighted with just a slight improvement so we have a better chance to move him on.

If we can manage to get any sort of fee for him I'd be absolutely delighted but I think we are proper stuck with him.

5 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Coutinho is 30 years old.

How much exactly do you expect him to develop at this rate?

I'd be delighted with just a slight improvement so we have a better chance to move him on.

If we can manage to get any sort of fee for him I'd be absolutely delighted but I think we are proper stuck with him.

I don't necessarily expect him to develop. I expect to see him return to what he was previously shown to be capable to do when he first joined us. That is more undoing regression than showing progression imo.

Also, he's not exactly half-foot in the grave at the senior age of 30 in anno 2022.

Edited by osmark86
  • Like 3

And I know I am probably playing devil's advocate here but he's not showed consistency since 2018.

Other than blind hope what should make me so confident in him on current evidence? It's not like he had bad coaches at previous clubs.

4 hours ago, A'Villan said:

I find it strange that we are even deliberating Coutinho's quality.

That's not because I'm still awe struck by his Inter Milan and Liverpool days.

I simply see him as having that magic and genius that few players are capable of, and while that's far from every moment he's on the ball, he's adequate, if not above average at his worst.

I'm not saying he'll be a raging success here, or that something is amiss if he isn't, because we have a squad that's quite competitive for places up front in attack. He may get overlooked, and even rightfully so.

Debating whether the player is able at the level we want and need though isn't really a tough one in my book. He's class.

Agreed.

• Like 1

Â