Pre match thread

VillaChris

2 hours ago, robby b said:

A draw wouldn't be a bad result as Dean Smith will be out to make a point, Norwich are playing better and scoring more, we'll be knackered after the Anfield shift, we have two positive covid cases among the players now, great...we could easily lose this, I predict it will be a long night, maybe really difficult, not looking forward to this ! :s

Norwich are bottom of the league. Have our aspirations sunk so low that we would be happy with a point in this fixture! I really hope Gerrard doesn't think like you.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

My team for this match: 

Martinez

Cash Konsa Mings Targett

McGinn Luiz Ramsey

Buendia Watkins Young

Bench: Steer, Tuanzebe, Sanson, Ings, Hause, Trezeguet, Ings

Obviously twins

spacer.png

• Haha 2

Who’d of thought at the start of the season that Deano would be in an opposition dugout by Christmas? Not many of us I’m sure. For varying reasons, neither manager/coach will want to lose this one.

Apart from Nakamba, we don’t really know who’s fit to play because of the Covid issues etc. So it’s a case of picking a team and seeing what happens an hour before kick off.  I expect a tough game, as they all are but we do have the quality to hurt them and overall I expect a narrow win. UTV

Martinez

Cash             Konsa                   Mings         Targett

Luiz

Sanson                  McGinn

Buendia               Watkins               Ramsey

Subs:  Steer, Hause, Tuanzebe, Young, Carney, Trez, El Ghazi, Ings, Davis

Norwich come into this game knowing that if they win by fifteen goals then they will climb out of the bottom three, it's probably their most important game of the season so far, if you look at their fixtures until mid January, they'd probably see this as their best chance of getting three points, they will be extra fired up and it won't be easy. Any kind of a win would be a great results for us.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Norwich are quite hard to beat at home. Their problem has been scoring. Their home defensive record is pretty good for a team who are bottom. I suspect that this will be a tight match. The first goal could be very important. I am going 0-1. Buendia to score against his old club.

This might be a bit controversial but I’m still not sure about starting Sanson… he did ok when he came on the last few times and looked promising. But he did seem to be basically walking towards the end of the Liverpool game so fitness could still be an issue? 
I wouldn’t start him personally, but I trust the manager to make the right call as they get to see him every day.

Norwich don't score many goals. We kept a Liverpool side that had averaged 3 goals a game in this league down to one goal and that was a dubious penalty.

Of course I'd expect us to be a lot more attacking than against Liverpool but we really should be looking to keep a clean sheet for this one. We've only kept four clean sheets in 16 games which is poor but we've definitely improved defensively under Gerrard.

It's also about time we saw our attacking threat. Ings and Watkins are averaging a goal every 3-4 games which is below usual. Buendia only has one goal, Sanson hasn't scored for us yet (or even got an assist) despite scoring a few at Marseille, AEG has goals in him but isn't getting a look in.

Young should sit this one out for me, we need more goal threat and I wouldn't mind seeing AEG for this one either off the bench or starting. 

10 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'm actually, strangely nervous about this game.

It's one of those I feel people are taking too lightly as a " foregone conclusion ".

From what i've been seeing, Norwich have been playing well.

All the storylines here will have them well and truly fired up as well.

This one is going to be very psychological as too IMO.

As Gerrard said, Dean knows the players very well, but the players also know Deano very well.

If both teams perform to their capabilities there SHOULD only be one winner.

However for no reason, I've got dodgy decision and bad luck vibes today.

It's an important game. We really need the 3 points as it's a game where we're a much stronger team on paper - the first one we've had since Gerrard came in that people would consider a slam dunk, I suppose. But as you said, there are a lot of factors at play here and certain individuals will have their own extra incentives to win. Part of the soap opera beauty of the game.  

• Like 1

Won't be an easy game, Smith knows our team inside and out.

I'd take a draw, but realistically we need to be looking for a win here.

I can't see Norwich scoring, our defence is once again solid. 

Edited by Mic09

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Gerrard said against Norwich we will be more aggressive and front foot. 

I'm a little mind boggled by that. So we're not supposed to be aggressive against Liverpool? 

I understand you can't be as attacking against every team but that aggressiveness should always be there. 

That second half against city is the approach I want in every game. Make the opposition feel us in Gerrard's own words. I felt that was severely lacking on Saturday. Way too passive. 

Good news.

Only 9 behind the ball tonight then 😀 !!