European chase 2021/22

Nigel

58 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Not small club mentality at all. Teams just don’t often lose 4 on the bounce unless they are a Norwich. 

They can struggle a 1-0 win in the European Conference thingy on Thursday if it makes you feel better. Then on Sunday they can get back to the serious business of getting stuffed in the PL by the mighty Villa. 

Edited by DaveAV1
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think we’ll draw personally. Everyone getting too excited. 

I actually think we can beat them, but as you say, people always go overboard after good wins and bad defeats.

Seeing people on social media laugh and claim we are miles ahead of Spurs and Arsenal etc is a bit cringe.

We end up getting too cocky and could look stupid.

We need to stay level headed and take it as it comes.

We have definitely started to look like a quality side, but these are teams which have spent hundreds of millions for years before us.

I do remember Deano saying in one interview though, our aim was to spend better than some of those clubs to bridge the gap, as some of them have squandered money etc.

Leapfrogging is not impossible right now, but we must stay level headed, or we set ourselves up for disappointment.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Teams just don’t often lose 4 on the bounce unless they are a Norwich. 

We have a better team though imo.

Kane's head is absolutely gone. Son is their only danger man in my view.

If we play to our best we should beat them.

Edited by villalad21

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Of course we can beat them but even a point at their place is a decent result. Let’s not forget not long ago they beat city and were top of the league after 3 games. 

Either way I can’t wait until next Sunday.

Regardless of everything else this is what I feel, I can’t wait to see us play again, not had that feeling for donkeys, Long may it continue

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Of course we can beat them but even a point at their place is a decent result. Let’s not forget not long ago they beat city and were top of the league after 3 games. 

Either way I can’t wait until next Sunday.

Our team right now is so, so exciting to watch, especially knowing that our presumably best 11 hasn't really been given a chance to gel yet. We've played some great and entertaining football, but results are what really matters. If we manage to beat spurs in a rather convincing way on top of this weekend's result...then I'm ready to Believe.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

They do but can’t see them losing 4 in a row.  We’ll get chances against them though that’s for sure. I still don’t get how Dier plays for them. What are the managers seeing? 

Could you see them conceding 3 goals, 3 games in a row? Probably not, right? Villa will fancy their chances. Kane just isn't up for it and it's affecting their dressing room, you can see it. They'd have been better off selling him. But, with him in the doldrums we will hopefully play well and take advantage of some slack defending. 

Last few games against them (,Spuds) we've played well but haven't got what we should have due to silly mistakes and not putting our chances away.

The game end of last season we didn't make mistakes and we took our chances.

Tough game but they're slow in defence in terms of making decisions and passing the ball out from the back (Sanchez and Romero are very fast runners) .

We can stifle and suck the life out of them. We can play on the counter against them as they don't chase back. Games like this will be the difference between finishing 6-8th and 10th.

Edited by Sulberto21

On 25/09/2021 at 21:02, Tommo_b said:

I love having the Two up top, we have had some memorable partnerships with two up top.

I quite like the way we are not following the norm. 2 up top is unusual currently, but that means opposition are not so set up for it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

Spurs are dreadful which helps us in terms of Europe. In terms of next week… as someone else said, rare anyone loses four in a row in this league.

But far rarer that Villa beat Man Utd so we're all for bucking trends at the mo.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Enda said:

I don’t think we’re as good as Leicester or Spurs.

But Arsenal? Everton? West Ham?

On paper, we shouldn't be, but they aren't in form and who knows how long that lasts. I think Leicester will reclaim it and have a surge around Christmas and be back up there.

Spurs since Kane came back into the side have been shite. If it carries on, he could really ruin them. Losing mentality sits in, he leaves in the summer and they spend a (very slightly) reduced fee on 5-6 players a la Bale and speeds up their decline. I think we could catch Spurs up for the long term all being well.

If we could push Arsenal into the bottom half this year, we could see a similar thing with them. Could really do with somebody getting Smith-Rowe and Saka out of them to really derail them

Â