European chase 2021/22

Nigel

Today’s result makes a world of difference in confidence. We are 7th, and you can see that we are going to be in a hunt for 5th place if we keep this up.

With Bailey, Buendia and Sanson coming back, and Watkins & Ings growing their familiarity surely it only gets better? We still have an improved Traore knocking at the door too. I would say we are a match for anyone this season on the evidence so far, in fact kicking ourselves about the Watford result and injuries vs Brentford, we could be right up there this afternoon.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Today’s result makes a world of difference in confidence. We are 7th, and you can see that we are going to be in a hunt for 5th place if we keep this up.

With Bailey, Buendia and Sanson coming back, and Watkins & Ings growing their familiarity surely it only gets better? We still have an improved Traore knocking at the door too. I would say we are a match for anyone this season on the evidence so far, in fact kicking ourselves about the Watford result and injuries vs Brentford, we could be right up there this afternoon.

Think we need to solve the Watkins / Ings conondrum.

Watkins gets the chances but misses them and misses them badly.

Ings is making a contribution - but doesn't look like scoring. 

I think one of the two and bailey looks the best bet right now.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, hippo said:

This is how I see it, Leon +1 of them leading the line and emi I assume will displace one of the midfield 3 and play where he did today when he came on. Potentially frightening

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, hippo said:

I think against the better teams 3 at the back, and countering should probably be our style. But against guys like Norwich we need to go 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 for some extra creativity. 

Its not only our results that are encouraging but the results of Leicester. Having them down the table really does open up another place.

They should be streets ahead of us....but it doesn't look that way currently. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hippo said:

The thing is that both of them press so **** well. The only reason we were able to push Man Utd right back today is because Watkins AND Ings were up top. 

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m excited but I also know it will be a long hard season. Things change so quickly in football enjoying today and can’t wait for Spurs but also grounded. 

Wise words 😊

Everybody has the tendency to get too high after victories and too low after defeats. 

Any talk of Europe is premature. Let's wait and see if we are anywhere near 6th position after Christmas.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

The thing is that both of them press so **** well. The only reason we were able to push Man Utd right back today is because Watkins AND Ings were up top. 

Watched the full 90 minutes on Sky tonight and completely agree. Whilst the partnership still hasn’t really clicked yet, the work the two of them put in was phenomenal. Must be absolutely horrible to defend against. Such intensity and work rate across the team - it’s great to see.

1 hour ago, Czarnikjak said:

Wise words 😊

Everybody has the tendency to get too high after victories and too low after defeats. 

Any talk of Europe is premature. Let's wait and see if we are anywhere near 6th position after Christmas.

This is sensible...but factor in the missing record signing, the injured world class winger, and the fact we have effective replacements for nearly all positions means we're in a much better place than this time last year.

Also our fixture list has been a fairly reflective mixed bag so far, so to be 7th is a very good sign!

At some stage we will need Bailey, Buendia, Traore and probably El Ghazi to play more than a bit part role from the bench.

But while we play this 3-5-2, if we can get Watkins and / or Ings scoring regularly, we might have a chance of a really special season. 

8 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Why are people still trying to make out that this is a problem?

Have people seen the last 3 games? The football we've played has been sensational. The front two are vital to it.

Absolutely. Ride the wave while it works so well until we get an injury. Other players will have to wait. 

I hope we learn to swap players in and out before injury demands this season, I'd like to see everyone kept fresh.

Hopefully we will see the change in formation (and thus players) after spurs.

Edited by Nigel

Â