European chase 2021/22

Nigel

Cant see one started for this season.

Feels like the season is up and running after Saturdays result, which gave a bit of impetus to look at the state of the league, even at this early stage.

Good to see Leicester losing a few, which raises the point about just how high we can aim for?

Along with west ham, spurs, and obviously Everton all losing we have made up for the awful start against Watford. 

Edited by Nigel
  • Like 3

Winning the cup seems best really, but provisionally we don't have much to fear outside the top 4. Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea and Liverpool look a class apart so far in terms of strength in squad. But, we can be encouraged by how we played against Chelsea.  

Leicester will be up there, but they've had a slow start too with injuries, but after that, there's not much of a difference between spurs, west ham ( still looking good ) everton, ourselves etc. I think Leeds will drop off this season, and I would say finishing ahead of everton and arsenal are very realistic goals, and competing with spurs and west ham for 6th is within range. Brighton won't fall away either really, they may have a very good season too, now they appear to have worked out how to score goals, but I would expect us to finish above them. 

It's exciting and we're definitely in the mix, but as I say a cup win would be easier :D 

On early season form I'd say 6th ( or 5th if you want to bring Leicester into it ) is between west ham spurs and ourselves. With everton, arsenal ( i just assume they won't be shit forever ), brighton leeds in the next bracket below, not miles away but all other things being equal in terms of injuries sustained, just below us. 

6-8th is where we should definitely shoot for and can do if Bailey stays fit, and Watkins and Ings work together well. It's exciting. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Rodders said:

6-8th is where we should definitely shoot for and can do if Bailey stays fit, and Watkins and Ings work together well. It's exciting. 

This doesn't even account for Buendia starting to fire. If he can recapture his best form for us, he is our best player. 

52 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Winning the cup seems best really, but provisionally we don't have much to fear outside the top 4. Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea and Liverpool look a class apart so far in terms of strength in squad. But, we can be encouraged by how we played against Chelsea.  

This is where I am now.

After the loss of grealish I did fear we would take too long to mount any sustained challenge to the higher places. However it does seem as if we are not that far behind after all.

As you say early days but I'm more encouraged now than I was a few weeks back.

4 minutes ago, YLN said:

Do we all promise not to demand this thread be closed if we lose the next two premier league matches?

The relegation thread was started August 14th....thats some world class pessimism!

• Haha 2

As good as a cup win would be for the moment in itself, I feel that qualifying for Europe through the league better sets you up as a club to have a proper go in the competition while still being able to maintain your league form.

5 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

As good as a cup win would be for the moment in itself, I feel that qualifying for Europe through the league better sets you up as a club to have a proper go in the competition while still being able to maintain your league form.

Of course it does. Cup qualification is via the back door. Wigan won the FA Cup and were relegated. The league shows consistency and the cups allow clubs to have a good day at the office and benefit from a favourable draw

49 minutes ago, YLN said:

Do we all promise not to demand this thread be closed if we lose the next two premier league matches?

I think from day one this is optimistic and feel this thread will just be a moaning session as the season goes on when while we are doing well, people’s over optimism of where we will end up won’t be achieved.

1 hour ago, Woody1000 said:

Is it being greedy to want to qualify for Europe by league position and win a cup as a nice bonus? It has been so long since we have put any meaningful silverware in the trophy cabinet and on our roll of honour. I would love us to win a trophy at the new Wembley, preferably the FA Cup but would also be happy with a League Cup although we need to overcome the current Champions of Europe to win that trophy this season. The LC wins in the mid 90's are great memories for me, more so than the numerous 6th placed league finishes under MON and JG.

dont want to Jinx it, but considering how good a team we are looking currently, i wonder what we will be capable of when we have Buendia and Bailey fully fit and up to speed, both of whom could be classed as two of the best/better players at Villa.

Worth noting we're only 2 points off what we had after 6 games last season and that was lauded as our best start in about 15 years.

We should be finishing top half. I mean we still haven't been able still to put our best 11 from start yet we're comfortably over a point a game despite it being a tough start on paper.

• Like 1

Â