European chase 2021/22

Nigel

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

...the top 4 being a closed shop, but perhaps sometime in the not too distant future, that closed shop can be broken

Yeah - Not so long ago it was a top 6. Spurs and Arsenal both look upper mid-table at best these days. Chelsea had a wobble, but Tuchel has really sorted them out. Man U is still the one that could implode - a couple more bad results, whiny bitch OGS out on his ear and get the next manager wrong and who knows...

5th to around 12th is going to be pretty tight I reckon, but we have as good a chance as any. Keep the progression going and kids coming through and breaking into the top 4 in the next couple of years could happen.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, useless said:

Wish we could win more games, get into Europe, but it's tough, and some games are harder than they look.

The league is tough no question but I think we are moving faster then those between 19/20 Villa and the top 4, still think spam are over achieving and we are now more or less on a par with the rest bar possibly Leics still, arsanal and spurs are doable, we should gear no one tbh.

4 hours ago, Czarnikjak said:

I would have Ndombele over JJ or Dougie -100%

Moura is a tricky one, you are correct.

If we play Son on the left, and it's between Moura and Bailey on the right, it's 50/50. I haven't seen enough of Bailey yet to say he will be definetly better than Moura. 

Yes so essentially it comes down to Spurs having two world class forwards who'd get in our team and then rest of their side is much of a muchness.

Will agree to disagree on Ndombele. He has been there over two years ago so can't play the settling into the league card anymore and three managers haven't rated him much at all. Considering what we needed in the summer Hojiberg would arguably get in our first 11 but again I don't rate him as highly as some and would take Luiz every time.

No one in defence I'd take. Konsa  v Sanchez is no contest and even with Mings making a mistake a game a month his level is still far higher than Eric Dier these days and for now that remains the regular Spurs combo. We have the better keeper now and seems Regullion has regressed after his decent start.

So overall can make a good argument for 7 of our options being better than ours. Considering they finished 7th last season that's a pretty good place for us. I'd also rather have likes of Traore or AEG coming off the bench instead of Bergjwin so we're also stronger in depth in some areas than Spurs aswell.

Edited by VillaChris

Spurs haven't finished outside the top eight in the last twelve years, in half of those twelve seasons they finished in the Champions League places, whilst we haven't finished in the top half of the Premier League in ten or eleven years. They will be expecting to, and probably will finish above us once again, and truth be told will probably beat us at the weekend, a win is possible for us, but you will see a reaction from them after the Arsenal result and will probably be a case of us being brought back down to earth from our celestial delight after the Man Utd win.

I would be quite happy with a draw against Tottenham and a top half finish this season.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, useless said:

Spurs haven't finished outside the top eight in the last twelve years, in half of those twelve seasons they finished in the Champions League places, whilst we haven't finished in the top half of the Premier League in ten or eleven years. They will be expecting to, and probably will finish above us once again, and truth be told will probably beat us at the weekend, a win is possible for us, but you will see a reaction from them after the Arsenal result and will probably be a case of us being brought back down to earth from our celestial delight after the Man Utd win.

I would be quite happy with a draw against Tottenham and a top half finish this season.

I can't even work out how you managed to do this... 🙂

• Like 1

I think it’s a game by game situation. We’ll need to win points, keep improving and look at other teams results. We’ll see where that takes us. 
We only need to focus on Spurs game now. Once we finish we then think of Arsenal...etc.

Spurs, Arsenal, Wolves and West Ham are all rivals and will probably be around us. But we can only think about next game.

The best thing for me is that we've been able to play some quality football and pick up some decent results without 2 of our 3 big signings really having a lot of gametime at all. 

Doing well in a league as tough as the PL is all about having a squad, and we've shown that we have plenty of players who can come in and do a job. We have players who can come off the bench and change games. It's a nice position to be in, and we're certainly a decent chance for a European place if we can avoid a big lull. 

• Like 1

Â