European chase 2021/22

Nigel

16 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Exactly Dave.

There is no reason why we cannot get the 3pts on Sunday.

Deano done and interview a couple of weeks back where he mentioned we now have to pass a few of the established top 8 teams. (Inc. Everton, Arsenal, Spurs)

We've done it to Everton this season and I see no reason why we also cannot do it to Spurs on Sunday.

If we are serious about finishing in the European places this season then these are the games we need to get points from and I feel we will definately get something out the game for sure.

On the current form of both teams you’d definitely fancy us. Of course we all know that anything could happen and they will be desperate to get a result at their place after the performance and result last week against Arsenal. We have the players and set up to hurt them and we won’t lack confidence. We can’t just write them off, they still have players who can do is damage too, but there seems to be something not right going on at Spurs just as there is something very right going on with us. We’ll see how it plays out on Sunday but it’s nice to go into a game like this with confidence. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DaveAV1 said:

On the current form of both teams you’d definitely fancy us. Of course we all know that anything could happen and they will be desperate to get a result at their place after the performance and result last week against Arsenal. We have the players and set up to hurt them and we won’t lack confidence. We can’t just write them off, they still have players who can do is damage too, but there seems to be something not right going on at Spurs just as there is something very right going on with us. We’ll see how it plays out on Sunday but it’s nice to go into a game like this with confidence. 

It won't be an easy game Dave.

I think if we can frustrate them and get their crowd restless it will be a good advantage to begin with.

Hopefully we have Bailey back too, to sprinkle a bit of magic in the game. That in itself could be the difference in seeing us picking up 3pts rather than 1. It will be a very good game regardless.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

It won't be an easy game Dave.

I think if we can frustrate them and get their crowd restless it will be a good advantage to begin with.

Hopefully we have Bailey back too, to sprinkle a bit of magic in the game. That in itself could be the difference in seeing us picking up 3pts rather than 1. It will be a very good game regardless.

I agree Andy, I think we’ll go at them early on to knock their already fragile confidence and get the crowd on their backs. Tough game but winnable. 

I think Deano said Bailey wouldn’t be back until after the internationals. That would be a nice bonus though. 

• Like 1

Seen the word confidence used a couple of times above, familiarity and a few results will breed confidence, we know what a Smith team can do when they are on a roll.

I think the top 4 is set in stone, it's the same in all the leagues and will be in the champs league but we shoud not fear anyone and we have as much chance and the right to be the ones that grab one of the next few spots in the table.

Would love us to do well, just to hear the closet fans of other clubs masquerading as villa fans on here squirming. 

Edited by Phil Silvers

They have more than just Son. Even if Kane is still throwing a hissyfit.

Moura, Alli, Bergwijn and Lo Celso may not be the players Spurs thought they were getting when they signed them but they are more than capable of pulling something out of the bag and causing us problems. Bergwijn's speed in particular bugs me on the break (Son too)

Hopefully they drop Ndombele inexplicably again. Guy is top class and as much as our midfield has improved, Hojberg-Ndombele has enough steel in it to keep McGinn, Dougie and Ramsey at bay for sure.

On paper, our form should give us a very good crack at 3 points - certainly one of the best chances we've had against them going into the game in a good few years but it'll be a very tough game.

2 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

They have more than just Son. Even if Kane is still throwing a hissyfit.

Moura, Alli, Bergwijn and Lo Celso may not be the players Spurs thought they were getting when they signed them but they are more than capable of pulling something out of the bag and causing us problems. Bergwijn's speed in particular bugs me on the break (Son too)

Hopefully they drop Ndombele inexplicably again. Guy is top class and as much as our midfield has improved, Hojberg-Ndombele has enough steel in it to keep McGinn, Dougie and Ramsey at bay for sure.

On paper, our form should give us a very good crack at 3 points - certainly one of the best chances we've had against them going into the game in a good few years but it'll be a very tough game.

Ndombele is really unfit. He's got so much ability and class but after 20 minutes he's dead. Very similar to McGinn really, except better at passing in close quarters 

6 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Few big games coming up in this race, Spurs (a), Arsenal (a) and West Ham (h). Two Draws and a win would be great return as it denies rivals as much as good for us. 

Strange days when rhe West Ham result seems the most important of the three. I want to destroy them.

42 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Ndombele is really unfit. He's got so much ability and class but after 20 minutes he's dead. Very similar to McGinn really, except better at passing in close quarters 

Interesting to contrast Spurs recruitment to West Ham. Night and day.

3 hours ago, Czarnikjak said:

Kane, Son, Romero, Ndombele, Moura,Regulion...that's about it,probably, atm. 

Moura's a decent player when on form (usually v us) but would you really have him ahead of Bailey?

Would rather have McGinn as box to box midfielder than Ndombele who's performances have generally been well below par since joining Spurs bar the odd goal.

Romero very good in Italy and for Argentina but still settling in. Rest of Spurs backline is terrible, Hause is better than Dier for example and dosen't start much for us.

23 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

Maybe it’s just usual negative thinking on my part, but I’m quite nervous about Sunday.

Perhaps it’s because I feel like if we can get 3 more points then a top 6 finish becomes a real possibility.

I understand. When we get too excited we normally get a reality check fairly quickly. Like Leeds and Southampton defeats last season after winning 4 in a row.

I do think we are a better team now though. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

46 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Strange days when rhe West Ham result seems the most important of the three. I want to destroy them.

Agreed, a measure of revenge. They got 6 off us last season. I am sure they will lose form come end of the season when we're peaking. They don't have the squad depth for Europe and a top 6 challenge.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Moura's a decent player when on form (usually v us) but would you really have him ahead of Bailey?

Would rather have McGinn as box to box midfielder than Ndombele who's performances have generally been well below par since joining Spurs bar the odd goal.

Romero very good in Italy and for Argentina but still settling in. Rest of Spurs backline is terrible, Hause is better than Dier for example and dosen't start much for us.

I would have Ndombele over JJ or Dougie -100%

Moura is a tricky one, you are correct.

If we play Son on the left, and it's between Moura and Bailey on the right, it's 50/50. I haven't seen enough of Bailey yet to say he will be definetly better than Moura. 

Martinez

Konsa Romero Mings

Cash  Ndombele Hojberg Reguilon

Bailey.                Son

Kane

Would Probably be my combined XI although on form Watkins or Ings probably replaces Kane. Maybe you take out Romero and go 4231 with Bergwijn or Buendia coming into one of the slots behind the striker.

Suppose McGinn, Luiz and Ramsey are outperforming the Spurs midfield on form but think that two is a higher talent midfield than ours even if they aren't quite at it at the moment.

Anyway. Onto Sunday and 3 points hopefully!

4 hours ago, Czarnikjak said:

Kane, Son, Romero, Ndombele, Moura,Regulion...that's about it,probably, atm. 

I don’t disagree on the individual ability of those players but at the moment as a collective they aren’t playing to the best of their individual abilities. Conversely our players are all playing, on the whole, above their individual abilities. 

That doesn’t mean that the level at which they are playing isn’t sustainable. Most, if not all of our players, are upping their game and progressing as individual players as well as how they’re playing as a team. That’s massive credit to Dean and his coaching team. 

I understand what @Phil Silverssays about the top 4 being a closed shop, but perhaps sometime in the not too distant future, that closed shop can be broken. If we continue progressing, on and off the pitch, the sky is the limit. Who else could go from near bankruptcy under the ownership of a skint chancer, to hammering the champions 7-2 and owned by two astute and progressive thinking billionaire businessmen. Maybe the same gloriously baffling club that came from the third division to European Champions in 10 years. Anyone want to bet against us?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I don’t disagree on the individual ability of those players but at the moment as a collective they aren’t playing to the best of their individual abilities. Conversely our players are all playing, on the whole, above their individual abilities. 

That doesn’t mean that the level at which they are playing isn’t sustainable. Most, if not all of our players, are upping their game and progressing as individual players as well as how they’re playing as a team. That’s massive credit to Dean and his coaching team. 

I understand what @Phil Silverssays about the top 4 being a closed shop, but perhaps sometime in the not too distant future, that closed shop can be broken. If we continue progressing, on and off the pitch, the sky is the limit. Who else could go from near bankruptcy under the ownership of a skint chancer, to hammering the champions 7-2 and owned by two astute and progressive thinking billionaire businessmen. Maybe the same gloriously baffling club that came from the third division to European Champions in 10 years. Anyone want to bet against us?

Feel sorry for the younger gen on here who have no idea how great this club is, ups and downs, this and that, whatever, form is temporary but class is forever, Aston Villa is and always will be one of the greatest clubs in world football. I really hope Dean guides us to a trophy, just so the young'uns get to feel.what it's like.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Â