Tim Iroegbunam

useless

Probably (more than?) a bit unfair to be making direct comparisons like this but I realised earlier he's not far off two years older than Mainoo. The problem is he just hasn't played all that much football, and most of what he's played was for QPR trying to avoid relegation to League One. 

At some point, he'll need to have a performance that makes everyone sit up and go 'yes, I can see this lad having a future starting for a club with European aspirations in the Premier League', and I don't think he's got close to having a game like that yet. 

• Like 3

His contract till 2027 means if we strengthen he should definitely go on loan to a PL hunting Championship side to get his stock back up , no point selling cheap after this season, unless we really squeezing FFP wise. He's still quite young for the position he plays, sending him to Boro under Carrick could do wonders. 

Edited by Alakagom
  • Like 1

It's a colossal ask to expect someone with his experience to slot into a 2 man midfield in this day and age, and that's without considering the state of our injuries and form at the moment.

..also please keep in mind that was his EIGHTH appearance for us, and we were playing piss poor football long before he even had his socks on.

Edited by AV82
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, villan95 said:

I actually thought he helped us get a bit more control back breaking up the play and being more physical than what we had.

Yeah agreed, he seemed to do a better job than the others (all excellent and established players, just not today) who had been attempting to play central midfield. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

It's quite a situation to put him into. Not sure he is ready for it yet, doesn't mean he should be written off though.

Luiz wasn't up for it tonight so I think the sub made sense. Its either tim or chambers. I would rather see Tim get some time.

He's a 20 year old lad brought into a game we are being run ragged in for the near entirety for a supposed 100m Brazilian international who didn't want the ball.. I mean, he ain't going to run the show is he.

I thought he harassed fairly well last night....at all points except when Gallagher cuts in to shoot 😭

I've no idea why no-one pushed out to close him down.

1 hour ago, May-Z said:

I thought he harassed fairly well last night....at all points except when Gallagher cuts in to shoot 😭

I've no idea why no-one pushed out to close him down.

This was my thought, you've got to get out to Gallagher. I'm not Tim's biggest fan but he's a 5th choice centre mid, he didn't cost anything and his wages are low in comparison to others. In the world of FFP, we need people like Tim.

More game time and I suspect he improved. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I've been a bit harsh on him today, but I do wonder why we kept him around this season tbh.

He's got more than 20 minutes 3 times all season. He's 20, he'd have been better off having another season in the championship and getting some decent experience in his legs.

How about Kesler? Better off staying where he was and actually playing…

He's only played about three and half worth of games for us in total since he joined the club, and most of that has come in dribs and drabs, he's not going to look like world beater, or Champions League quality player in that small amount of game time, no young players do unless they're extreme outliers, in general if they get a run of games and don't look out of place then that's a promising sign by itself.

It would be wrong to presume just because he isn't being used much Emery doesn't rate him, could just be that he doesn't think he's ready, or that he thinks it's too much of a risk to play a youngster as a DM in the situation we're in with so much at stake, also have to remember he missed pre-season, and was hardly fit for the first half of the season, all that said I think there's a chance he could be sold with buy back in the summer, but don't be surprised if has a Philogene type season next season and people are asking for us to resign him, because he will no doubt do well at Championship level if used right and in a half decent team

The key really for whoever he's playing for is to give him a role where he has license to get forward, I watched him for QPR a lot and he was unquestionably much much better when they played him as a box-to-box midfielder, ask him to play purely as a DM and you're restricting some of his best qualities

If he has a problem as it stands it's probably in both final thirds, defensively and attacking, defensively he can be prone to giving away cheap free-kicks, his passing in general is good, but can also have the odd lapse in concentration and end up giving the ball away cheap, which again is a big problem in the defensive third, and then at the other end he's not going to score a lot of goals or get many assists, although I'm sure he can improve both,  a lot of his good play for QPR was carrying the ball forward and then giving it to someone else to something with it, he's a pretty good forward passer too

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Was better when he came on than a player who many demanded £100m for if he was to be sold not 3 months ago. 

If Emery is happy to keep him in the squad past June, so am I. 

On 27/04/2024 at 23:14, Hank Scorpio said:

It's quite a situation to put him into. Not sure he is ready for it yet, doesn't mean he should be written off though.

Agreed, and I don't think anyone is to be fair.

I think he could have a good future, but I've said for a few games now that he just doesn't look ready.

He either needs a run in the team to get upto speed, or a loan, imo. I'm not sure we can afford to give him the former

Â