Tim Iroegbunam

useless

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Really?

I thought he did really well - he kept it simple and didn't stray far from his position, but he was defensively sound, neat and tidy on the ball and did the thing where he won it and played it simply for us to start counters on a lot of occasions. I thought he had a good game.

First half especially he was absolutely all over the place. There were a couple of occasions where he literally just got in the way of Dougy.

It was a really poor half of football, the game completely passed him by

• Haha 1

I probably have to add the caveat again that I really like Tim, I think he's a very promising player with a big future. 

Before people start jumping down my throat about writing a player off who's one of our own etc etc

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I probably have to add the caveat again that I really like Tim, I think he's a very promising player with a big future. 

Before people start jumping down my throat about writing a player off who's one of our own etc etc

Big fan also, but he was largely passive and the game passed him by, but considering the opposition and set up it's unfair to judge him on that

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

First half especially he was absolutely all over the place. There were a couple of occasions where he literally just got in the way of Dougy.

It was a really poor half of football, the game completely passed him by

Kind of agree with you both. I thought he did get some good tackles in and did just about protect the ball well when he had it. Positionally though he got absolutely schooled by a City side who do this to the best. For large parts of the game it looked like he was playing CB which meant Dougie was all on his own covering huge spaces.

Not an easy place to be making your first PL start in a very long time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Really?

I thought he did really well - he kept it simple and didn't stray far from his position, but he was defensively sound, neat and tidy on the ball and did the thing where he won it and played it simply for us to start counters on a lot of occasions. I thought he had a good game.

I think he did well at times and it was a very valuable experience for him. Defensively, as you say, he was good - some nice tackles, interceptions and pressure on the opponents. At other times, it was clear that he is what he is - a youngster learning and finding it difficult (but who wouldn't, right?). 

All in all, encouraging out of 10. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

He was terrible, let’s be honest. 

Very promising player and I’m looking forward to him developing, but he’s not ready yet. Thankfully McGinn is back now

Read this in a Dutch accent (Grolsch advert).

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

He was terrible, let’s be honest. 

Very promising player and I’m looking forward to him developing, but he’s not ready yet. Thankfully McGinn is back now

I don't think he was terrible, this was his first ever PL start under Emery. And it just happened to be against the best team in Europe, away.

It was almost cruel, but I though he did ok, got in some good tackles. But it shouldn't be anyway surprising if he got overrun at times. We effectively only had 2 central midfielders.

Nice steady performance,  put his foot in a few times and won the ball, couple on interceptions and picked up some lose balls as well + never gave the ball away, had a few little runs with the ball as well. Very encouraging for his first start, reckon he will be starting a few games before now and the end of the season, especially if we stay in Europe, 7/10.

We needed three centrally last night.

Bit bemused with McGinn back at the weekend and Luiz on at 8 yellows we rested Tielemans unless he was feeling under the weather but that would've given a bit more licence as him and Luiz were consistently outnumbered by City overloading centrally and that lead to us giving away two needless free kicks in dangerous areas and we were punished with the second.

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

We needed three centrally last night.

Bit bemused with McGinn back at the weekend and Luiz on at 8 yellows we rested Tielemans unless he was feeling under the weather but that would've given a bit more licence as him and Luiz were consistently outnumbered by City overloading centrally and that lead to us giving away two needless free kicks in dangerous areas and we were punished with the second.

Think we prioritized keeping the 4 available on the counter over 3 in the middle and, in fairness, would've equalized it had Luiz finished on either side of Ortega.

Tim often dropped into a back 5 - not dissimilar to what Kamara did at home and what they had Rice doing for Arsenal against City. City normally play with 5 along the forward line but as the opener showed, Rodri has been used as the cut back option.

Tim is another one who doesn’t yet know how good he is. He is feeling his way into the PL and is understandingly a bit tentative due to his inexperience. If he can get his confidence up, he could become a great player. It would be amazing to have him, JJ, Morgan and Barry playing regularly for us in the future. All local lads who have got years in the tank. You can really build on those foundations.

10 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

this is how i feel as well, if i ignore the fact that hes young and up against a strong city midfield, i just didnt think he played very well. Positioning not great and didnt think he tried to impose himself. Doesnt mean i dont want him to be a success.

I know they play different positions,  but who is the better prospect Philogene or him.  I'll take the later ?.

Edited by ozvilla28

8 hours ago, ozvilla28 said:

I know they play different positions,  but who is the better prospect Philogene or him.  I'll take the later ?.

Who knows, far too early to say, but why the question? Philogene has shown some brilliant offensive flashes at a much lower lower level so far, but you have to be a complete player and defensively/tactically disciplined to make it at this level. Both have lots to prove, both have lots of potential, and as you say, play different positions.

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 1

The city game will be good for him. The coaching staff will be able to go over his performance with him and he will learn a great deal I imagine.

Much more than a short cameo here and there. Proper game time and performance analysis will really help a young player progress.

• Like 2

Â