Euro 2020 : Semi finals and final

BOF

If we win it then all those fans who constantly put photos of Nyland on social media and say that we should have been relegated will learn how annoying it is when they see fans of every other country put shots of Sterling going down and claiming that's the only reason we won the tournament.

• Like 1

A few weeks ago we went bowling for my daughter’s birthday and they had a promotion for the Euros. Each booking was allocated a random side and if that side won you get a free game of bowling.

I got Italy.

So either way on Sunday I win something :D 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, djdabush said:

If we win it then all those fans who constantly put photos of Nyland on social media and say that we should have been relegated will learn how annoying it is when they see fans of every other country put shots of Sterling going down and claiming that's the only reason we won the tournament.

I still delight in replying to each of those Nyland save posts with "great save" :) 

I enjoyed social media after the england game.

Its so fun how saying simple truths like:

"clear and obvious penalty, confirmed by VAR. Actually it is England who should be angry!! After all Denmark scored from a wrongly given free kick"

Drop that n your feed and sit back to watch the fun :)

2 hours ago, a m ole said:

These are the same people that boo the opposition national anthems and boo the knee and call young German girls nazi sluts.

there is always going to be some, who think its ok to abuse folk.....very sad.

• Like 1

As a non-English person who nevertheless usually roots for England in tournaments when neither Norway nor the US is involved, I find myself not particularly caring who wins the final.  Part of it is the disappointment in Southgate's team selections after being excited about the potential of seeing Jack Grealish star for England.  A bigger part of it has been the boring style of play that he's set the team up for.  Even when Jack's played it's been boring, and it's been disappointing that he really hasn't been able to shine because of the system he's been dropped into.  In fact, none of the attacking player's bar Sterling has really lived up to my expectations, largely because of the playing style, I think.

I had to watch the 2nd half and extra time Denmark game out of my peripheral vision because I was at work and on a call, so I may have missed some things, but I wasn't particularly impressed with what I saw of Jack's display.   Mostly because England has no transition game, which is where I enjoy watching him the most for Villa.  They win the ball, pass it sideways between Phillips and Rice or back to the defenders and then try to unlock a parked bus with Jack stuck on the touchline with no room to move.  And when he does get the ball more centrally there's no room because the striker is taking up the space that the playmaker should be in.

I though the penalty was incredibly soft and probably wouldn''t/shouldn't have been awarded by VAR as a clear and obvious error if the referee had not given it.  Sterling was clearly looking for a chance to go down.  It was a poor way to get to the final.  It would have felt more deserved to me if England went through on penalties.  Given the dire football, the dive for the winning penalty, Jack's limited playing time and the inclination to back Denmark for having played some nice football in the tournament and the obvious sympathy for the Eriksen scare, I found myself feeling a little disappointed at the end even though England were the better team on the day.  

I'll watch the final and probably root for England because I'd like to see you all finally win something after the long wait.  I also would just as soon not see Italy win, as I thought Spain were the more enjoyable team to watch in the other semi and didn't foul cynically and dive quite as much as Italy, who have shithoused their way to enough trophies over the years.

TL, DR:  I'm not all that excited about the final but I suppose I want England to win.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Zatman said:

Sky gave Pickford a 7 and Phillips an 8. Walker and Shaw got a 6 

how can these people be journalists

I've been listening to pundits, podcasts every day and its 99% utter drivel. All opinions. 

These people get paid to have them so fair play to them. 

On 07/07/2021 at 19:56, TheAuthority said:

Why have the FA nicked Sweet Caroline from us?

Every muppet club in the country will be claiming it as their anthem now ! Done our way with F the Blues is best though 

51 minutes ago, villaglint said:

I've been listening to pundits, podcasts every day and its 99% utter drivel. All opinions. 

These people get paid to have them so fair play to them. 

Shaw a 6?

That’s mental. Shaw has been fantastic so far.

I wouldn't say Sweet Caroline was ever really a Villa thing.  Yeah we adopted it towards the end of the promotion campaign but it's been a drunken sports fan anthem for a good while now.  I think it may have first surfaced in that sense at boxing.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Shaw a 6?

That’s mental. Shaw has been fantastic so far.

I agree, ridiculous to give him just a 6. Also, Pickford I thought looked poor against Denmark, Philips and Rice still looks unbalanced to me. Walker I thought was our best player against Denmark and that's not even a close call.

Edited by stewiek2
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

I wouldn't say Sweet Caroline was ever really a Villa thing.  Yeah we adopted it towards the end of the promotion campaign but it's been a drunken sports fan anthem for a good while now.  I think it may have first surfaced in that sense at boxing.

Its used at every sporting event isnt it. Cricket, football, boxing. 

13 hours ago, Zatman said:

Sky gave Pickford a 7 and Phillips an 8. Walker and Shaw got a 6 

how can these people be journalists

I thought Walker and Shaw were our best players. Pickford had a mare and I fear he could be our weak link in the team against  Italy. I think England will have to play better to beat Italy. Its a 50/50 game imo. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I thought Walker and Shaw were our best players. Pickford had a mare and I fear he could be our weak link in the team against  Italy. I think England will have to play better to beat Italy. Its a 50/50 game imo. 

In fairness he’d had a good tournament up until Denmark

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Its boxing in my head

Was already about but then Eddie Hearn used it for the Joshua fights and it took off from there 

Can't prove it or anything but I think he wanted an anthem like the darts chase the sun which I don't then know of that's some way associated with his dad, over Sunday dinner or something he's said get yourself a song and that was that 

Â