Euro 2020 : Semi finals and final

BOF

18 minutes ago, maqroll said:

For some reason lately embedded YouTube videos don't play for me. Any idea on a fix?

This should work: https://youtu.be/LdgT0hX1swc?t=28

That video is my go-to example of how American conservatives must hate America. I mean, it's the 'Conservative Political Action Conference'. Imagine how many highly-armed nutcases must have been in attendance - and not one of them fired so much as a warning shot.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

That video is my go-to example of how American conservatives must hate America. I mean, it's the 'Conservative Political Action Conference'. Imagine how many highly-armed nutcases must have been in attendance - and not one of them fired so much as a warning shot.

I'm assuming she was an Antifa plant. 

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, maqroll said:

My first taste of English football yobism was in 1997 during the WCQ in Rome. I was watching it at a bar in Boston and a few English guys were yelling some really ignorant shit. Really bad impression. 

Did you encounter any Rome based hooligans?  Make English ones look like teddy bears.

7 hours ago, il_serpente said:

As a non-English person who nevertheless usually roots for England in tournaments when neither Norway nor the US is involved, I find A bigger part of it has been the boring style of play that he's set the team up formyself not particularly caring who wins the final.  Part of it is the disappointment in Southgate's team selections after being excited about the potential of seeing Jack Grealish star for England.  .  Even when Jack's played it's been boring, and it's been disappointing that he really hasn't been able to shine because of the system he's been dropped into.  In fact, none of the attacking player's bar Sterling has really lived up to my expectations, largely because of the playing style, I think.

I had to watch the 2nd half and extra time Denmark game out of my peripheral vision because I was at work and on a call, so I may have missed some things, but I wasn't particularly impressed with what I saw of Jack's display.   Mostly because England has no transition game, which is where I enjoy watching him the most for Villa.  They win the ball, pass it sideways between Phillips and Rice or back to the defenders and then try to unlock a parked bus with Jack stuck on the touchline with no room to move.  And when he does get the ball more centrally there's no room because the striker is taking up the space that the playmaker should be in.

I though the penalty was incredibly soft and probably wouldn''t/shouldn't have been awarded by VAR as a clear and obvious error if the referee had not given it.  Sterling was clearly looking for a chance to go down.  It was a poor way to get to the final.  It would have felt more deserved to me if England went through on penalties.  Given the dire football, the dive for the winning penalty, Jack's limited playing time and the inclination to back Denmark for having played some nice football in the tournament and the obvious sympathy for the Eriksen scare, I found myself feeling a little disappointed at the end even though England were the better team on the day.  

I'll watch the final and probably root for England because I'd like to see you all finally win something after the long wait.  I also would just as soon not see Italy win, as I thought Spain were the more enjoyable team to watch in the other semi and didn't foul cynically and dive quite as much as Italy, who have shithoused their way to enough trophies over the years.

TL, DR:  I'm not all that excited about the final but I suppose I want England to win.

• I guess its understandable, if you are not English or Italian.
  • I think its more a case at this level of having respect of the opposition,its the later stages of the Euro's, you have to be cautious....... it might be worth noting at club level, that the flamboyant sides like Barcelona, PSG and Real Madrid, did not win their respective leagues,and the European champions ,didn't win theirs...... you have to respect, the non attacking side of the game, for what it is.
  • The penalty, like them all are subjective, it might be described as soft, but Sterling was challenged by 2 players of which he felt bodily contact, enough to disrupt his passage of play, furthermore the defender moved in on him from the side, it was a penalty...we as Villa fans have seen them given when our player was fouled....Luiz and Fernandes, so I have seen worse.
  • I thought Denmark played very well indeed, but in many cases they clattered us as opposed to fairly tackled, so lets not paint them as angels....They were very physical, which is ok, but lets not get all critical of England in having to deal with that, it wasn't going to be a game for the fine arts...hence the style adopted.
  • England have had to wait to get a collection of players that can challenge the elite, which we finally have and playing in one of the best leagues has given us an advantage....but we have many inexperienced lads in the final, I think they deserve a bit of non partisan support.It hasn't been an easy ride for them.
  • As an English man, I am proud of the way our lads have conducted themselves during this tournamount and find nothing to nit pick against them, despite social media being a cesspit to find something.

On Sunday, may the best team win.....and I hope it is England.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Did you encounter any Rome based hooligans?  Make English ones look like teddy bears.

Yeah, I have to say there does seem to be a bit of quickly forgetting that other European countries also have hooligans, right-wing football supporters, and other assorted bellends too. I know ours are ours, so they're our problem and ours to be embarrassed by, but we're not alone in this. Maybe it's worse in scale, I dunno.

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yeah, I have to say there does seem to be a bit of quickly forgetting that other European countries also have hooligans, right-wing football supporters, and other assorted bellends too. I know ours are ours, so they're our problem and ours to be embarrassed by, but we're not alone in this. Maybe it's worse in scale, I dunno.

Of course its bad in other countries but maybe for big events they police it better, the fears from Russia 2018 and was very little trouble. its also  highlighted more now because the games are in UK and this trouble has happened to UK based Danes, the booing i think is disrespectful but harmless but violent attacks on innocent people 

I did say earlier that a section of English fans are the blues of international football when it comes to the one sided feud with Germany and this mob mentality on innocent people is what they would do

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Davkaus said:

All this pearl-clutching about booing the anthems, and pleas to not do it on Sunday have achieved one thing: Expect louder booing than ever. 

I would sum it up as just simply " Respect "......but I guess that is an old fashioned word, isn't it?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

it was in boston- game was in rome. the paul ince head wound game.

lazio fans are def some of the worst

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Lets stick to football...its more fun.

51 minutes ago, TRO said:

we have waited a long time for this and are truly thankful of reaching the Final, we have done nothing to be denied the opportunity and I think England have held a torch for all Football nations to enjoy, in the game.

A link to a story about England fans assaulting a Danish family is worth mentioning on here, probably. It's a headline in the news today. 

It doesn't seem like any begrudgement (I made this word up) is going on here. 

Obviously the vast majority of England fans are a credit to the nation, as are the players. Even Safegate. I'll be rooting for you guys, anyway!

• Thanks 1

Don't Italian hooligans have a thing where they get a backie on a scooter jump off stab the opposition fan in the bum because they know its chance of being fatal is lower then jump back on the scooter and ride off?? 

Sure several English fans playing different Italian teams have been victims of that 

They have a methodology for stabbing football fans

Edited by villa4europe

4 minutes ago, maqroll said:

A link to a story about England fans assaulting a Danish family is worth mentioning on here, probably. It's a headline in the news today. 

It doesn't seem like any begrudgement (I made this word up) is going on here. 

Obviously the vast majority of England fans are a credit to the nation, as are the players. Even Safegate. I'll be rooting for you guys, anyway!

That is despicable and would be deplored by any decent thinking football fan from where ever they come from.

but we are dealing with people here and in some cases drunks( that is not meant as an excuse)......No mitigation from me, but there is a plethora of personalities, in any nation and it would be folly to suggest that wouldn't happen anywhere else.

The media have dug that story out for a reason and I am not saying, it shouldn't have been reported, but they have an agenda, which is not necessarliy the same as the poor family......Maybe if I read they provided the family to be wined and dined with Final tickets in the corporate part of Wembley, I could understand them more....I have a very mixed view of the English press, but hey ho.

Those English fans you mention, do not represent the majority of perfectly well behaved versions our country  has in abundance.....I guess there is some equally non reported events that the press have come across, that relate to well deserved actions towards Danish Fans.

It is quite unfair to tar a nation on the actions of a bunch of morons.....as it is equally illjudged to use such a report, to decide whether to support England in the final.

I hope you see beyond a regretful event for that Danish Family and see the bigger picture.

17 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Don't Italian hooligans have a thing where they get a backie on a scooter jump off stab the opposition fan in the bum because they know its chance of being fatal is lower then jump back on the scooter and ride off?? 

Sure several English fans playing different Italian teams have been victims of that 

They have a methodology for stabbing football fans

If we start picking out the incidents of fan abuse, we will be here all night.

its like the pandemic....its everywhere, it shouldn't be, but that is like analysing the human nature of a minority.

Â