Euro 2020 : Semi finals and final

BOF

6 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Everyone complaining about the dive, Denmark should never have had the free kick they scored from either. 

I remember Vestegaard crumpling into a heap at the slightest contact to his face from Sterling too. Let’s not pretend Denmark are some footballing purity and above the antics. 

England deserved to win (as expected). Denmark just don’t have the strength in depth England have. They’ve done well to get this far, fair play to them. Their subs were always significant downgrades (Jensen on for Delaney, Norgaard on for Dalberg, etc) and England just looked fresher. England’s depth has allowed them to rotate more throughout the tournament. We still had two subs we could use - just didn’t need to.

4 minutes ago, bobzy said:

From memory, Shaw(?) was pulling someone’s shirt in a tussle. Seemed like a free kick at the time. 

It was Shaw but it wasn’t a shirt pull. His arm connected with Dolberg’s face when he was jostling for the ball.

The ref was giving them all game tbf. Yes a bit soft and Dolberg milked it - but not surprised it was given.

5 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I really struggle with the idea that Sterling was brilliant. He's brainless. He was one of the better forward players on the pitch which is a sad indictment of the rest of them, but he's so wasteful, and just wants to do it all himself no matter how many options he has. I lost count of the number of times he had players available for progressive passes and instead tried and failed to take on his man.

Yeah, it worked for the penalty, but a less selfish player (not that I have a specific individual in mind ;)), in those positions would have been much more effective.

You can look at the key stats of the tournament and much like them making Pickford look brilliant, they'd make Sterling look like he's been phenomenal throughout the tournament. It certainly isn't what I see on the pitch though.

I know what you mean - I think brilliant is a stretch. However, he was the only player taking the ball and running at the defence; much like in the Germany game.

He makes things happen even if his general play isn’t great, and that’s a very good asset - particularly in knockout football. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cizzler said:

It was Shaw but it wasn’t a shirt pull. His arm connected with Dolberg’s face when he was jostling for the ball.

The ref was giving them all game tbf. Yes a bit soft and Dolberg milked it - but not surprised it was given.

Think that was Mount before hand? That free kick was soft - Mount vaguely steps across his man

Edit: I didn’t realise that free kick was directly before the other one 😳

Edited by bobzy

On balance England did deserve to win. Kane dived all night and Sterling dived for the penalty. Am I happy with the win? Of course. Do I blindly ignore the issues? No, especially with two balls on the pitch. Southgate got it wrong with how he used a majority of his subs in extra time. You don’t sub a sub unless of injury. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I really struggle with the idea that Sterling was brilliant. He's brainless. He was one of the better forward players on the pitch which is a sad indictment of the rest of them, but he's so wasteful, and just wants to do it all himself no matter how many options he has. I lost count of the number of times he had players available for progressive passes and instead tried and failed to take on his man.

Yeah, it worked for the penalty, but a less selfish player (not that I have a specific individual in mind ;)), in those positions would have been much more effective.

You can look at the key stats of the tournament and much like them making Pickford look brilliant, they'd make Sterling look like he's been phenomenal throughout the tournament. It certainly isn't what I see on the pitch though.

Sterling looked good with his pace because the Danes were shattered and he was still running at the end. He had a hand in both goals but he missed a great chance before the own goal and his touch and control were poor all night

1 hour ago, Taxahunter said:

I don't understand the decision. Denmark played with 10 men whole 2nd half of extra time...

Then surely you should be more pissed off that your Manager f***** up by making too many changes too early. The Pen was harsh but Denmark were poor and mismanaged during the most critical period of the game. 

To have used all your substitutions in a semi final with extra time and no cover for injuries, when you are allowed 5 subs is just stupid

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

The irony of people saying they’ll support Italy because of England’s “gamesmanship” is delicious

I hate spaghetti me. Come on you Three Lions👍

The thought of Phillips starting against Italy scares me. He had a good first game against Croatia but every game since he's either been anonymous or, as per last night, an obvious weakness.

I get that he's a decent player with a lot of potential but there's no way he should be starting for England. He'll end up being sent off v Italy

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Then surely you should be more pissed off that your Manager f***** up by making too many changes too early. The Pen was harsh but Denmark were poor and mismanaged during the most critical period of the game. 

To have used all your substitutions in a semi final with extra time and no cover for injuries, when you are allowed 5 subs is just stupid

They got pretty unlucky to be fair. Brought on an attacker after England’s goal to go for it and lost another player almost immediately afterwards. You can’t really plan for that. 

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Think that was Mount before hand? That free kick was soft - Mount vaguely steps across his man.

You’re right, apologies! Just watched it back. Mount fouls Dolberg and then from that free kick Shaw is penalised for grappling with Christensen.

Both soft - but the ref was pretty consistent giving them all game to Kane/Sterling too.

Do you think VAR overturns the pen in the PL?

2 minutes ago, Cizzler said:

You’re right, apologies! Just watched it back. Mount fouls Dolberg and then from that free kick Shaw is penalised for grappling with Christensen.

Both soft - but the ref was pretty consistent giving them all game to Kane/Sterling too.

Do you think VAR overturns the pen in the PL?

Maybe. But VAR in the prem gives the Kane one 100%

They got pretty unlucky to be fair. Brought on an attacker after England’s goal to go for it and lost another player almost immediately afterwards. You can’t really plan for that. 

Their triple sub at 1-1 was a bit strange. I do feel like they lost all their momentum at that point and England bossed the game from there on.

With 6 subs allowed, you shouldn’t really be playing with 10 men due to an injury. 

Well you should plan for it. Luck doesn't cut it when it's a managerial decision and not enforced. 5 subs and you still end up last 15 min down to 10 men. It's an idiot move, not unlucky, any manager worth their salt wouldn't have wasted all resources like that. 

Â