Euro 2020 : Round of 16

BOF

6 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I thought it was harsh. The contact was very dangerous but the action leading up to it was an honest clearance, laces through the ball, and his follow through was natural.

I feel like it’s not that different from the red that was rescinded in the Chelsea game the other week.

But clearly most people see it as a nailed on straight red so maybe I don’t understand the rules properly. For me the outcome shouldn’t be part of the consideration - only the action itself. If the foot wasn’t planted it probably would have been no injury, and nobody would have particularly noticed.

Disagree on that one.

In this case he got the ball cleanly but he followed through and had a straight extended leg with the studs up and with a lot of force and momentum. He shattered the knee on his opponent due to the impact on the leg.

Not seen or read a single Swedish journalist, ex-player or spoken to anyone who didn't think it was a correct red. Was unintended but reckless IMO.

• Like 1

It wasn’t a red card for me, obvs horrific contact and I’m surprised he limped (slowly) off, I was sure it had snapped.

But it shouldn’t have been a red, the ball was there to be won, you could clearly see the Swedish player had eyes on the ball only, he’s made clear contact ahead of the opponent and after that he can’t make his foot disappear. 

I also didn’t like that when the on field ref got to the screen, the very first replay hen was shown was a super slow mo of the aftermath, the contact. Had he seen the whole action, perhaps it wouldn’t have been so hastily acted upon.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Embarrassing.

The line up. The booing.

Easy to remember why I left. (Sorry to VT'ers who are of course the best of the best.)

You left because of the lineup? 😉

Joking aside, aren’t you in the US?  Flag shagging central, not exactly a hotbed of social tolerance.

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, El Zen said:

I will never understand how anyone can see that and say it’s not a red card all day long. You’ll have more luck telling me the moon really is made of cheese. 

Yep. I'm normally one for tough play, but you can't do that.

You are in charge of your own body, you can't just hit the ball and follow through like that. It's a red any day of the week. Straight leg, studs up and follows through. It leaves the other player injured which shows was a rash challenge it was.

8 hours ago, PaulC said:

Yes he doesn't release the ball at the right time like Grealish but it was him that created the first goal with his run and pass to Kane and he continued his run and got on the end of the cross from shaw. Find it hard to understand why people are so critical of him. He had a good game today and scored a goal.  

Yes, if you go back to my original point, it was that he was crap except for the goal. 

Roughly translated from the Swedish ref expert yesterday:

The red card is unfortunately, completely correct.
The tackle jeopardizes the opponent's safety, even if there is no intention, or if the Ukrainian actually runs into Danielsson's outstretched legs or feet.
The intention is always a second to consequence when it comes to unfair play. What happens is more important than the player's intention.

Edited by Tegis
  • Like 2

Just now, Phil Silvers said:

No.

Jack kane sterling

Saka Rice Mount Trippier 

Mings Maguire Stones

Pickford 

No chance for Mings, Walker is a Southgate favourite.

I'd do that too

Apart from his role in the goals Shaw was very poor going forward, we should look for more vs Ukraine 

And saka + grealish on the left has always looked good before 

6 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

No.

Jack kane sterling

Saka Rice Mount Trippier 

Mings Maguire Stones

Pickford 

No chance for Mings, Walker is a Southgate favourite.

Walker is a cheat code with his recovery pace and has great experience. No chance he doesn't start.

How is Shaw getting hooked?

Playing your best ball playing marauding CB between two CBs. Okay 

Â