Euro 2020 : Round of 16

BOF

4 minutes ago, sne said:

The ref Jonas Ericksson who's in the studio who has about 150 international games in the WC, Euro's, CL and so explained the situation very detailed and showed the situation from multiple angles and he thought it was a red and a mistake by the ref and VAR. He pretty much always sides with the refs and VAR, not this time.

The Phillips one he though was 50/50.

Other experienced refs disagreed with Ericksson, so I guess all we can conclude is that it was borderline and the rules are vague enough for it to go both ways.

Personally I think it was very clear that Walker was reaching the ball, but I also agree Rice put himself in a lot of danger with that foul, and could have been sent off.

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

Other experienced refs disagreed Ericksson, so I guess all we can conclude is that it was borderline and the rules are vague enough for it to go both ways.

Personally I think it was very clear that Walker was reaching the ball, but I also agree Rice put himself in a lot of danger with that foul, and could have been sent off.

Yeah when it all comes down to it it's still subjective. Maybe playing at home at Wembley helped.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, bobzy said:

It's undoubtedly a minority - same with Millwall fans, West Ham fans, Blues fans, Leeds fans (actually, maybe the majority with them...), but it's completely apparent.

I don't really know what the "proper fans" who go to all home and away games are like, but there is literally always some sort of trouble involving England fans whenever we play abroad.  I can't even remember a game where this hasn't happened and fully expect there to be trouble in Rome too.  Again, it's a minority, but it's sizeable.

I think it makes sense as well in some sort of nationalist/patriotic kind of way - brings out the worst in people.

It's calmed down a fair bit compared to late 90s when it was full on riot for every short away day, now pockets of trouble in places like Amsterdam and there was some bother when playing Russia at euro 2016 IIRC.

England fans aren't allowed to travel to Rome, only fans who will get tickets is anyone living in Italy who is English.

BTW random thought just came to me....did Gary Neville actually get the team right then as he called for 3-4-3 and pretty sure it was all the players he was calling to start who actually did.:lol:

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

It's calmed down a fair bit compared to late 90s when it was full on riot for every short away day, now pockets of trouble in places like Amsterdam and there was some bother when playing Russia at euro 2016 IIRC.

England fans aren't allowed to travel to Rome, only fans who will get tickets is anyone living in Italy who is English.

BTW random thought just came to me....did Gary Neville actually get the team right then as he called for 3-4-3 and pretty sure it was all the players he was calling to start who actually did.:lol:

Circa 26k brits live in italy

225k Ukrainians... 

They'll have more than we will but I'd expect it'll be more neutrals and hard to know how they'll get behind 

Interesting, didn't know that many Brits present in Italy so won't be support of the rabid Brexit nature.

Actually interested how England play in Rome as surface at Olimpico is lightning quick compared to Wembley when you compare how Italy played at the two venues.

Wembley such a slow and stodgy pitch as we see from the cup finals every year.

4 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

I hate those Villa fans that go to games and there's obviously some sort of.. I dunno.. Lack of self care? 

Like.. Massive Nikes with holes in them.. Grey piss-stained jogging bottoms with grub where they've been rubbing their snot on their groins.. or it's probably this mornings wank stains to be honest..  The greasy, scruffy hair.. The gob - always and forever half open to allow their putrid breath to offend anyone within the surrounding 10m of them and the droopy eyes like they've not quite shaken off the last 4 years of hang overs.

I always wished they'd not found out about villa and I mean like.. I'm talking about a good 98% of them.. Football attracts a weird crowd. 

Have you been going to St Andrews by accident? 

6 hours ago, bobzy said:

I watch England, yeah. I don’t go to the national team games or watch England games in pubs, though. 

No neither do I. I kind of hate all the media hype around England, especially when they have a couple of results. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

You left because of the lineup? 😉

Joking aside, aren’t you in the US?  Flag shagging central, not exactly a hotbed of social tolerance.

Obvs nowhere is Utopia and there are issues everywhere. In the US it depends very much on where you are.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I think it'll be this team as well, though I think Grealish as 10. I'm not clear on yellows, don't they get wiped at some point?

Think it's after the Quarters as don't want players missing a final for two yellows which is completely understandable so yeah think one of Rice/Phillips will be taken out and Mount probably put in the two.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I thought walker had the pace to cover rice

Phillips I've seen likened to ampadu, I think the difference is the contact is a result of him coming over the top of the ball, he has no control, it's nasty but it's more accidental 

Seen both given before

Phillips was an orange card I think but was suprised ref didn't get told to go to monitor like happened in later Sweden game, Phillips would've been off if Red had been advised to have a few replays you'd suspect as he it was over the ball challenge and he obviously wasn't near the ball.

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Italy - England gonna be the final, ain't it?

I'm actually kind of hoping for a Martinez v Southgate final. That will be fun one for Zat and other fans of "managerial frauds" to do analysis on.:hooray:

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

You left because of the lineup? 😉

Joking aside, aren’t you in the US?  Flag shagging central, not exactly a hotbed of social tolerance.

Someone mentioned the 'pantomime' of football, but there are lines.

Collywobble compiled some of the real peachers.

17 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Someone mentioned the 'pantomime' of football, but there are lines.

Collywobble compiled some of the real peachers.

I'll never understand it - just a grim attitude in this country.

Â