Euro 2020 : Round of 16

BOF

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

It's like overhead kicks. They're allowed, but if you kick a player in the head, you're going off, even if you connect with the ball. All players have a responsibility to consider the welfare of others on the pitch. If the other player isn't in the way, it's a great clearance. I don't doubt for a moment it was unintentional, but it's dangerous.

I don't think you do get sent off for that, just like a keeper never gets sent off for missing the ball and punching an attacker in the head.  I think it was a horrendous bit of timing for both players, though obviously worse for the Ukrainian and it had to be a red card.  This is the reason such high tackles are banned even if the consequences are unintentional.

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

The movement? You mean the movement of his leg when he chooses to be off the ground, studs up?

He was stationary, stood up, took two steps and side footed the ball directly upwards while the Ukrainian player was sprinting in at full speed.

• Like 1

I will never understand how anyone can see that and say it’s not a red card all day long. You’ll have more luck telling me the moon really is made of cheese. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

The movement? You mean the movement of his leg when he chooses to be off the ground, studs up?

He’s off the ground for an absolute split second whilst stretching for a ball, which he achieves. Very unfortunate that a Ukrainian player has run into his studs, but he hasn’t launched himself in at all.

1 minute ago, a m ole said:

He was stationary, stood up, took two steps and side footed the ball directly upwards while the Ukrainian player was sprinting in at full speed.

I dunno man. For your leg to end up horizontal at knee level, it's never something that's happened to me when I've cleared a ball 

9 minutes ago, bobzy said:

He quite literally is looking at the ball, kicks the ball and then a player runs into his studs.

It looks horrible but is clearly completely accidental. He hasn’t caught a player, a player has run into him. 

It doesn't happen often ;) but I agree with you.

Not a red, total accident. Went for the ball, got it, player ran into his outstretched foot

• Like 3

People are just looking at what happened to the Ukraine player and not the whole incident, it was more a freak accident than dangerous play. Swedish player stretched for the ball which he had the right to do and the Ukraine player ran into him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

She may have predicted the score but that doesn’t mean she should start the next game though. 
Your wife needs to bide her time on the bench like everyone else. 

You don't half talk some shite in Bumpkinsville ;)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, useless said:

People are just looking at what happened to the Ukraine player and not the whole incident, it was more a freak accident than dangerous play. Swedish player stretched for the ball which he had the right to do and the Ukraine player ran into him.

Yes, absolutely. 

A still image or the slo mo makes it look awful, but it just wasn’t dangerous play at all IMO. 

Edited by bobzy

I don't know what it is with football and showing horrific injuries. Rugby is generally pretty good at not showing you in excruciating detail exactly what happened to the poor bastard who is rolling around on the floor screaming in agony (though I guess rugby players don't generally go down unless they're actually hurt).

I still remember seeing all the pictures of Eduardo's shin wrapped around another player's leg and that was about 20 years ago now. Ugh. So unnecessary.

1 minute ago, useless said:

It was an accident, we agree on that much. Did he have the right to do in studs up with a high boot? I'd say absolutely not. 9/10 times he gets away with it, but that's the reason these rules exist. The players don't exist in a vacuum and they have to play knowing that their opponents will do unpredictable things around them

• Like 1

I don’t think he meant to do it. But if you’re going to put yourself in a position where you end up planting your studs into someone’s knee I’m not sure how anybody can say that it isn’t reckless. He’s clearly not in control of that challenge and he’s potentially ended another players career.

Just now, Davkaus said:

It was an accident, we agree on that much. Did he have the right to do in studs up with a high boot? I'd say absolutely not. 9/10 times he gets away with it, but that's the reason these rules exist. The players don't exist in a vacuum and they have to play knowing that their opponents will do unpredictable things around them

He’s stretching to try and control a ball, it’s not even a challenge. He hasn’t “gone in” at all - the opponent has run into him. 

I think the last few pages go some ways to demonstrating that VAR eliminating mistakes is an impossibility. Even with something I see as an absolutely obvious red card with little arguement the other way, we can discuss until the cows come home.

• Like 1

Â