Euro 2020 : Round of 16

BOF

7 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Know a couple of bluenoses who went.

Annoying they've seen Grealish live more than me in last 18 months!

I'm sure they'll get over it eventually. 

8 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I thought it was harsh. The contact was very dangerous but the action leading up to it was an honest clearance, laces through the ball, and his follow through was natural.

I feel like it’s not that different from the red that was rescinded in the Chelsea game the other week.

But clearly most people see it as a nailed on straight red so maybe I don’t understand the rules properly. For me the outcome shouldn’t be part of the consideration - only the action itself. If the foot wasn’t planted it probably would have been no injury, and nobody would have particularly noticed.

There was clearly no intent to harm the opponent but his foot was very high. Add to that the slow motion made it look horrendous. There was one in the prem just before the season end that was similar. I suppose the question is how do you stop the physics of momentum because both incidents were with the follow through. We have seen goalkeepers clear out attackers and get away with it because they save the ball first. I suppose the player should not make the challenge in the first place, and if he does he has to take responsibility if he catches the player. Anyway I'm rambling, but I have some sympathy for your point of view, but I thought it was red.

• Like 1

Every footage I've seen of fanparks has images of multiple twunts throwing pints in the air.  Puts me right off ever going to one in all honesty. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Every footage I've seen of fanparks has images of multiple twunts throwing pints in the air.  Puts me right off ever going to one in all honesty. 

Yes, for a start it is a criminal waste of beer! 

• Like 1

One of the downsides of England doing well is that we have to put up with personalities on TV and people on social media who normally don't care about football suddenly becoming experts, and then turning their disapproval on lifelong football fans for their "disgraceful" behavior. The further England go the more this will become intolerable.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

One of the downsides of England doing well is that we have to put up with personalities on TV and people on social media who normally don't care about football suddenly becoming experts, and then turning their disapproval on lifelong football fans for their "disgraceful" behavior. The further England go the more this will become intolerable.

I mean, sure, but England fans are clearings in the woods on the whole. German fans applauding the English for winning etc, English fans cheering a German girl crying on the big screen (that footage even being shown by the (presumed) English cameraman). Just different levels of class.

I actually feel pretty numb to England doing well because of the fanbase (obvs not everyone) who follow them and go to the games. It’s a lager-lout, anti-foreign filled support base - gives me almost zero pride. 

• Like 3

Thought the Sweden red card was stonewall to be honest. Makes no difference if it wasn't intentional. He's dived in, whether he's clearing the ball or not, with a high foot and his studs up. It was a leg breaker and I'd be very surprised if the Ukranian has escaped without serious knee damage

• Like 1

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Thought the Sweden red card was stonewall to be honest. Makes no difference if it wasn't intentional. He's dived in, whether he's clearing the ball or not, with a high foot and his studs up. It was a leg breaker and I'd be very surprised if the Ukranian has escaped without serious knee damage

He didn’t dive in at all. 

Just now, bobzy said:

He didn’t dive in at all. 

He did.

I know he's trying to clear it and not tackle the player, but the opponent is still coming in to challenge him and he's gone in with a high foot, studs up.

It's unfortunate. I don't think he meant it. But it's a red card every day of the week

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I mean, sure, but England fans are clearings in the woods on the whole. German fans applauding the English for winning etc, English fans cheering a German girl crying on the big screen (that footage even being shown by the (presumed) English cameraman). Just different levels of class.

I actually feel pretty numb to England doing well because of the fanbase (obvs not everyone) who follow them and go to the games. It’s a lager-lout, anti-foreign filled support base - gives me almost zero pride. 

You are absolutely entitled to your opinion. I take it from your post you don't watch England then? 

4 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

You are absolutely entitled to your opinion. I take it from your post you don't watch England then? 

I watch England, yeah. I don’t go to the national team games or watch England games in pubs, though. 

I think we should revert back to a back four against Ukraine at the expense of trippier. 

Pickford

Walker.Stones.Maguire.Shaw

Phillips.Rice 

Saka.Sterling.Grealish

Kane

The biggest quandary is what to do with Rice/Phillips, both of whom are on a yellow and a booking away from missing the SF.

Could we risk dropping one for Henderson/Bellingham/Mount? 

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I laughed my tits off when they showed the german girl crying. It was hilarious.

Kids crying is almost always funny. Little shits

I’m not ashamed to say I did too. It’s all part of the pantomime that is football. 

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

i wonder if that's the core england fanbase though, or if it's the day trippers that have just got a ticket to the odd game. i hear you though.

i watched in a pub beer garden last night and it wasn't long after the final whistle before that stupid German bombers song got started. these are just idiots in the pubs, same as those in the fanparks that happen to be english supporting the national side in a major competition.

the proper fans that go home and away every game though, are they this loutish? i'm not sure, but maybe not.

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

i wonder if that's the core england fanbase though, or if it's the day trippers that have just got a ticket to the odd game. i hear you though.

i watched in a pub beer garden last night and it wasn't long after the final whistle before that stupid German bombers song got started. these are just idiots in the pubs, same as those in the fanparks that happen to be english supporting the national side in a major competition.

the proper fans that go home and away every game though, are they this loutish? i'm not sure, but maybe not.

It's undoubtedly a minority - same with Millwall fans, West Ham fans, Blues fans, Leeds fans (actually, maybe the majority with them...), but it's completely apparent.

I don't really know what the "proper fans" who go to all home and away games are like, but there is literally always some sort of trouble involving England fans whenever we play abroad.  I can't even remember a game where this hasn't happened and fully expect there to be trouble in Rome too.  Again, it's a minority, but it's sizeable.

I think it makes sense as well in some sort of nationalist/patriotic kind of way - brings out the worst in people.

• Like 1

Â