Euro 2020 : Round of 16

BOF

55 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

I think we should revert back to a back four against Ukraine at the expense of trippier. 

Pickford

Walker.Stones.Maguire.Shaw

Phillips.Rice 

Saka.Sterling.Grealish

Kane

The biggest quandary is what to do with Rice/Phillips, both of whom are on a yellow and a booking away from missing the SF.

Could we risk dropping one for Henderson/Bellingham/Mount?

I think it'll be this team as well, though I think Grealish as 10. I'm not clear on yellows, don't they get wiped at some point?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

It's undoubtedly a minority - same with Millwall fans, West Ham fans, Blues fans, Leeds fans (actually, maybe the majority with them...), but it's completely apparent.

I don't really know what the "proper fans" who go to all home and away games are like, but there is literally always some sort of trouble involving England fans whenever we play abroad.  I can't even remember a game where this hasn't happened and fully expect there to be trouble in Rome too.  Again, it's a minority, but it's sizeable.

I think it makes sense as well in some sort of nationalist/patriotic kind of way - brings out the worst in people.

oh i agree. england in a major competition definitely brings out the clearings in the woods

Yeah tbf Villa have more than their share of morons following them.  I guess with England there's also the nationalism that comes into play which brings with it all kinds of extra unsavoury elements.

I hate those Villa fans that go to games and there's obviously some sort of.. I dunno.. Lack of self care? 

Like.. Massive Nikes with holes in them.. Grey piss-stained jogging bottoms with grub where they've been rubbing their snot on their groins.. or it's probably this mornings wank stains to be honest..  The greasy, scruffy hair.. The gob - always and forever half open to allow their putrid breath to offend anyone within the surrounding 10m of them and the droopy eyes like they've not quite shaken off the last 4 years of hang overs.

I always wished they'd not found out about villa and I mean like.. I'm talking about a good 98% of them.. Football attracts a weird crowd. 

26 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I think it'll be this team as well, though I think Grealish as 10. I'm not clear on yellows, don't they get wiped at some point?

They get wiped after the QFs

Which seems a bit stupid as it means nobody can be banned for the final (except for a sending off obviously)

Wiping them after the Round of 16 would make more sense to me

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tegis said:

Roughly translated from the Swedish ref expert yesterday:

The red card is unfortunately, completely correct.
The tackle jeopardizes the opponent's safety, even if there is no intention, or if the Ukrainian actually runs into Danielsson's outstretched legs or feet.
The intention is always a second to consequence when it comes to unfair play. What happens is more important than the player's intention.

He was also pretty adamant that England got very lucky to not get at least 1 red card, possibly 2 against Germany.

The shirt pull from Rice he thought should have been a red and the stomp by Phillips he thought was a 50%50.

And this is from a red with tons and tons of International and European cup matches. He pretty much never disagrees with the on pitch and VAR callS but he did here

9 minutes ago, sne said:

He was also pretty adamant that England got very lucky to not get at least 1 red card, possibly 2 against Germany.

The shirt pull from Rice he thought should have been a red and the stomp by Phillips he thought was a 50%50.

And this is from a red with tons and tons of International and European cup matches. He pretty much never disagrees with the on pitch and VAR callS but he did here

Yeah, I thought England were pretty lucky as well. The Rice one was pretty bad, but I guess the covering defender is right there; still seems like a denial of a clear goalscoring opportunity though. And the Phillips one was pretty similar to the one Ampadu got sent off for I thought.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, sne said:

I thought walker had the pace to cover rice

Phillips I've seen likened to ampadu, I think the difference is the contact is a result of him coming over the top of the ball, he has no control, it's nasty but it's more accidental 

Seen both given before

15 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

They get wiped after the QFs

Which seems a bit stupid as it means nobody can be banned for the final (except for a sending off obviously)

Wiping them after the Round of 16 would make more sense to me

I think that’s exactly the point, though. Missing the final on a yellow cards suspension is quite harsh. 

• Like 1

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

Yeah, I thought England were pretty lucky as well. The Rice one was pretty bad, but I guess the covering defender is right there; still seems like a denial of a clear goalscoring opportunity though. And the Phillips one was pretty similar to the one Ampadu got sent off for I thought.

They showed that incident very detailed while the ref explained the situation and you can clearly see he is through clear on goal with no one beside him or in front of him when Rice starts pulling his shirt. It should have been a red. Got very lucky there, maybe playing at home helped.

Either Rice or Philips could plausibly have been sent off. England can indeed count themselves a little lucky in that sense. 

A suspension for any one of them would be a blessing, though. I’m like a broken record here, but watching them play together is awful. 

13 minutes ago, sne said:

They showed that incident very detailed while the ref explained the situation and you can clearly see he is through clear on goal with no one beside him or in front of him when Rice starts pulling his shirt. It should have been a red. Got very lucky there, maybe playing at home helped.

I actually agree with this. I can see why it wasn't a red, but I was very worried. I was surprised the commentators weren't more concerned to be honest.

• Like 1

Rice was never a red card imo because Walker had it covered. It was a stupid foul by Rice for exactly that reason - Walker was always getting there.

Phillips one is borderline, they go either way.

Edit: but very silly from Rice to even give the ref that option, and it was really only Walker’s pace that saved him. Any other CB and Rice is clearly last man and he’s off.

Edited by KentVillan

Just now, KentVillan said:

Rice was never a red card imo because Walker had it covered. It was a stupid foul by Rice for exactly that reason - Walker was always getting there.

Phillips one is borderline, they go either way.

Not really how the rules work. As long as he is through on goal it's red. Doesn't matter if Usain Bold is thundering down behind him. When Rice pulls his shirt there is no one ahead or next to him. It's a red.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sne said:

Not really how the rules work. As long as he is through on goal it's red. Doesn't matter if Usain Bold is thundering down behind him. When Rice pulls his shirt there is no one ahead or next to him. It's a red.

Ref and VAR called it this way, so? Walker wasn’t behind him, he was running alongside to meet him, and I think the rules are much more nuanced than “last man”. Look:

DENYING A GOAL OR AN OBVIOUS GOAL-SCORING OPPORTUNITY

Where a player denies the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by a handball offence the player is sent off wherever the offence occurs.

Where a player commits an offence against an opponent within their own penalty area which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity and the referee awards a penalty kick, the offending player is cautioned if the offence was an attempt to play the ball; in all other circumstances (e.g. holding, pulling, pushing, no possibility to play the ball etc.) the offending player must be sent off.

A player, sent-off player, substitute or substituted player who enters the field of play without the required referee's permission and interferes with play or an opponent and denies the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity is guilty of a sending-off offence

The following must be considered:

• distance between the offence and the goal
  • general direction of the play
  • likelihood of keeping or gaining control of the ball
  • location and number of defenders

Clearly the ref is allowed to take Walker’s covering run into account here.

Edited by KentVillan

Just now, KentVillan said:

Ref and VAR called it this way, so? Walker wasn’t behind him, he was running alongside to meet him, and I think the rules are much more nuanced than “last man”. Look:

Clearly the ref is allowed to take Walker’s covering run into account here.

The ref Jonas Ericksson who's in the studio who has about 150 international games in the WC, Euro's, CL and so explained the situation very detailed and showed the situation from multiple angles and he thought it was a red and a mistake by the ref and VAR. He pretty much always sides with the refs and VAR, not this time.

The Phillips one he though was 50/50.

Yeah, «last man» isn’t the rule, despite it commonly being used to operationalise it. Ref was under no obligation to send Rice off, but he could have. 

Edited by El Zen

Â