James Ward-Prowse

dont_do_it_doug.

1 minute ago, Awol said:

Disagree, Liverpool fans have been talking about him as the successor to Henderson in their team. I agree, he’s good enough for UCL and international level. If we get him we’ll wonder how we ever got by without him. 

£40-45m is fair value, £50m would be steep. More than that I think we walk. 

JS72834296.jpg

clearly know their stuff 

• Like 1

JWP would be a great fit for us and for the next 5 years. 

For every Gordqn Cowans you need a Des Bremner. But this one gives you incredible free kicks , corners and penalties

Edited by MWARLEY2
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, MrBlack said:

No way we pay 50m for this man, when we only got twice that for the beat English player in the world. And I don't see Southampton selling for less. So not happening.

Won’t be so gloomy on the price when JWP whips it in for Ings to score in what is a well rehearsed top class premier league  partnership 

16 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

And a potential £50m JWP is the answer? I’m some how doubt that’s savvy business 

The outlay isn't important. 50m JWP on a 4 year contract gets most of the amortised cost in the next three years when we've £100m pile of Jack Grealish money that only lasts for 3 years. £30m is Ings money. 

That leaves 30m or thereabouts left for next summer when we have new sponsorship deals and the revenue they bring to add to the transfer funds.

Signing Ward Prowse for £50m this summer is far better use of our FFP headroom than signing nobody or a £10m development player. 

We just need Southampton to sell

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If we signed JWP, and considering the rest of the squad, even with worst injury bad luck we could always field a strong midfield.

If mcginn and Sanson are out we still have JWP, nakamba and Luiz. And Ramsey. And Buendia. 

Sign him.

45 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’d honestly sell all 4 if decent bids came in. I’m probably in the minority when I say that but if it meant we could sign Matar Sarr, JWP and a left sided forward then I’d be all for it. 

We’re a bit bloated in the CM department and I just don’t rate Nakamba or Luiz. AEG is mostly rubbish and Wesley wasn’t good enough before his injury. 

It might sound like I’m being overly harsh but we’re only delaying the inevitable if we don’t get rid of them now. None of them are good enough (Luiz may come good) and were all signed for fairly cheap when we got promoted. We’ve since kicked on from then and we need to go up another level. McGinn said it today in his interview, our owners are so ambitious that if the players don’t keep improving then they’ll be replaced. 

Nobody is safe. Competition is everywhere. Just the way it should be. 

Well yes but you can't rip up half your squad every season. It takes time to bed.  We should really be looking at 3-4 big signings per summer but obviously that went out of the window with Grealish going.

3 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

The outlay isn't important. 50m JWP on a 4 year contract gets most of the amortised cost in the next three years when we've £100m pile of Jack Grealish money that only lasts for 3 years. £30m is Ings money. 

That leaves 30m or thereabouts left for next summer when we have new sponsorship deals and the revenue they bring to add to the transfer funds.

Signing Ward Prowse for £50m this summer is far better use of our FFP headroom than signing nobody or a £10m development player. 

We just need Southampton to sell

Still, there’s better out there for the same price 

8 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Well yes but you can't rip up half your squad every season. It takes time to bed.  We should really be looking at 3-4 big signings per summer but obviously that went out of the window with Grealish going.

That’s my point really. I think if Grealish had stayed, we’d have signed 3 first team players at most. Now that he’s gone, I think we need to almost go a bit nuclear and really overhaul the squad with the money. 

In an ideal world I’d like to see:

OUT:
Hourihane - free
Wesley - loan (doubt anyone would buy him)
Nakamba - 12m
El Ghazi - 15m 
A. Ramsey (loan)

IN:
JWP - 40m
Doucoure - 12m
Damsgaard - 30m

Net spend (very top line maths) - 65m.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Awol said:

Fair enough, could you suggest two or three of these players, please? 

I'm not a professional scout and I'm sure others on this forum can suggest plenty. But, purely by the number of midfielders plying their trade around the world, I can guarantee that there will be a few that are equal to ward prowse and are affordable. With my limited knowledge I'll suggest two...  Anguissa (Fulham) and Ryan Gravenberch (Ajax) and leave the rest to other VT members. 

Â