James Ward-Prowse

dont_do_it_doug.

9 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yes, it says they are in financial trouble (bailed out by big sales) but doesn't explain WHY they're in trouble. 

Ings was their record signing at £26m and they've only signed 2 other players over £20m.

The bulk seem to be £15m odd spread over a few seasons.  They had the 10th biggest wage bill last season which may be a little overcooked but should be sustainable. 

The money is going somewhere.   There is nothing to suggest they should be in dire straits. 

I can’t see that the Money Is For Nothing. 

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yes, it says they are in financial trouble (bailed out by big sales) but doesn't explain WHY they're in trouble. 

The money is going somewhere.   There is nothing to suggest they should be in dire straits. 

China.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pissflaps said:

I can't see them selling him. It wouldn't help them stay up and that's surely what they need to do.

They might see it differently. If they can get 40m+ for him, they might think they can replace him with 3 players to actually improve the team. 

Not sure what plans the villa have for JWP and if saints will sell but something looks like it's brewing with JWP and Spurs.

Odds for villa to sign JWP are 6/5 but spurs have gone from 40/1 down to 4/1 in 2 days and now they are 5/2.

My point of view is if we want him bid our sealing bid and give them a take it or leave it. If they reject so be it we move on and look elsewhere.

Let's not sit back thinking we want him and not be brave in the bids only to regret it.

I'm happy with our business and would take JWP but if we don't get him we move on regardless.

5 hours ago, villan501 said:

Let's not sit back thinking we want him and not be brave in the bids only to regret it.

Not going to be how the club acts at all. We've been great in the market since the new owners came in, don't see us being half arsed if we really want to get something done.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Not going to be how the club acts at all. We've been great in the market since the new owners came in, don't see us being half arsed if we really want to get something done.

Exactly. We’ve not messed around with paying what’s required for key acquisitions. Also there’s a pattern to our spending since we came back up: 

Promotion window signing cost range: £0-20m + one £20-30m 

last summer: £15-30m + one £30-40m

this summer: £30-40m + one £40-50m (JWP?) 

I think we’re consistently climbing the value chain of signings to match the income of the club. 

If there is a deliberate strategy to follow this pattern…

next summer: £40-50m + one £50-60m

That would then explain Deano’s comments yesterday that we’re 18 months off European/UCL football. 

If Southampton will deal on JWP between £40-50m I reckon we’ll pay it and he’s the record breaker for this window. 

15 minutes ago, Awol said:

Exactly. We’ve not messed around with paying what’s required for key acquisitions. Also there’s a pattern to our spending since we came back up: 

I think we’re consistently climbing the value chain of signings to match the income of the club. 

That would then explain Deano’s comments yesterday that we’re 18 months off European/UCL football. 

If Southampton will deal on JWP between £40-50m I reckon we’ll pay it and he’s the record breaker for this window. 

Yeh, I think we’ll end up bidding around £45m.

Id be very surprised if they didn’t accept that. 

This is the one I would love us to get over the line now, I think it will be the signing that pushes us on a level.  Someone mentioned Des Bremner in an earlier post and I had been thinking along the same lines, this bloke is a terrier in the engine room, sets the midfield tempo and can break the lines either as a ball carrier or passing.

it is a no risk signing for me despite the price, the bloke is another leader, has premier league experience, knows Ings and Targett amongst others and will settle really easily.  Overseas targets are glamorous but risky if the player cannot get up to the pace of the league or playing in a different country, JWP could be the player we thought we were getting (and still might) with Sansom.

Finally, add the free kicks.  How many times even in this pre-season have we seen kicks in dangerous areas hit the wall or sail into the crowd.  I want defenders afraid to challenge Bailey, Ollie and Ings in and around the box due to JWP’s free kick threat.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Awol said:

This is because with financial backers we can work around the flaws of FFP which are retrospective looking at previous 3 (and now 4 with the two covid seasons merged). Also player singing fees being amortised over the term of their contracts and if we extend those contracts after 2 years like we did with Mings and Konsa it averages even further. This means we sign fewer players but higher fees as more headroom becomes available under FFP as revenue grows.

The issue we will face is wages more than anything. We need to keep the discipline on that signing players who are 24 or younger means their wage expectation is lower than a 27/28 year old with proven quality. 

I can see it making sense paying 45m + 5m in add ons for Ward Prowse this summer due to the limited time the Grealish 100m is in FFP calcs and player amortisation as front loaded as possible, so a 4 year deal plus option for 1 more year.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, villan501 said:

Not sure what plans the villa have for JWP and if saints will sell but something looks like it's brewing with JWP and Spurs.

Odds for villa to sign JWP are 6/5 but spurs have gone from 40/1 down to 4/1 in 2 days and now they are 5/2.

My point of view is if we want him bid our sealing bid and give them a take it or leave it. If they reject so be it we move on and look elsewhere.

I'm happy with our business and would take JWP but if we don't get him we move on regardless.

They must be spending the Harry Kane money. 

19 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

…The issue we will face is wages more than anything. We need to keep the discipline…

Another silver lining of you-know-who doing you-know-what. 

I genuinely think he will be a massive signing if we can manage it (I resisted saying pull it off for obvious Kenneth based reasons).

£45-50m would be fine in my opinion. Look at prices for Ben White, and even Grealish… mad money really. 

Â