James Ward-Prowse

dont_do_it_doug.

Before the end of ast season I was trying to prove the merits in signing Ward-Prowse, I got laughed at for suggesting it would take £50 million.

I agree with others, if that's what it takes then go get him.

With his acquisition it might propel us into the top six.

• Like 2

I think JWP is a much better player than Anguissa, who for 2 seasons now (either side of a loan spell), for whatever reason wasn't relied on when the chips were down for Fulham. I don't know why, but that sets alarm bells ringing. JWP is the epitome of reliable. Still wouldn't spend 50m though, but he'd be a top notch signing. We'd be a threat from set pieces, we'd have someone very good at keeping the ball as well as in the press. I think him and Sanson could make a very dynamic duo in front of Luiz/Nakamba.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Southampton are in deep, deep trouble and were going that way even before Ings and now Vestergaard departed, and I think we'd be willing to spend an awful lot of money on JWP, but even still I'd be stunned if they were to also let him go now. Would be one of the most egregious cases of waving the white flag I can remember. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

Indeed. For far too long Villa were weighed down by riff raff who were unprofitable. 

Again fair and not even harsh on this occasion. Many livings have Ben stolen from B6 over the years. 

16 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Southampton are in deep, deep trouble and were going that way even before Ings and now Vestergaard departed, and I think we'd be willing to spend an awful lot of money on JWP, but even still I'd be stunned if they were to also let him go now. Would be one of the most egregious cases of waving the white flag I can remember. 

Why though? Have they signed lots of expensive players who have flopped? Do they overpay wages? I don't understand why are in such financial trouble? 

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Why though? Have they signed lots of expensive players who have flopped? Do they overpay wages? I don't understand why are in such financial trouble? 

Not followed closely - but it sounds like us towards the end of the Lerner years. All the better players sold - replacements arriving at half the cost. 

13 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Article from just before Covid took hold. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8088329/Southampton-sale-three-years-Gao-Jisheng-took-controlling-stake.html

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’d honestly sell all 4 if decent bids came in. I’m probably in the minority when I say that but if it meant we could sign Matar Sarr, JWP and a left sided forward then I’d be all for it. 

We’re a bit bloated in the CM department and I just don’t rate Nakamba or Luiz. AEG is mostly rubbish and Wesley wasn’t good enough before his injury. 

It might sound like I’m being overly harsh but we’re only delaying the inevitable if we don’t get rid of them now. None of them are good enough (Luiz may come good) and were all signed for fairly cheap when we got promoted. We’ve since kicked on from then and we need to go up another level. McGinn said it today in his interview, our owners are so ambitious that if the players don’t keep improving then they’ll be replaced. 

Nobody is safe. Competition is everywhere. Just the way it should be. 

Exactly, I think we will now have several players for each position, and they will need to compete, I expect the weakest to be sold next Summer. And repeat…. I also think we will sell some at their peak and bring through replacements.

Its taken a few years but following the next summer window, in 2022/23 season we should have a strong and deep squad. The headline players we will be buying will be £40-60m range, so the incremental quality will be notable.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Indigo said:

JWP might have seen Ings and Vestergaard leave and now wants to get out as well.   He might have made him views on this pretty clear to Southampton in which case they will probably sell once someone meets their valuation

13 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Yes, it says they are in financial trouble (bailed out by big sales) but doesn't explain WHY they're in trouble. 

Ings was their record signing at £26m and they've only signed 2 other players over £20m.

The bulk seem to be £15m odd spread over a few seasons.  They had the 10th biggest wage bill last season which may be a little overcooked but should be sustainable. 

The money is going somewhere.   There is nothing to suggest they should be in dire straits. 

Edited by sidcow

For a while there, Southampton looked to be a model for smaller, established PL clubs. Strong academy, good scouting, good coaching,  selling for profit. 

Sad that they are slipping back down.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Id have any of our back 4 over Utds any day of the week 

Can't tell if this is a joke. Do you mean you'd have any of our individual  back 4 players vs any of theirs? Or our total back 4 vs their total back 4?

Either way, I think Maguire for Mings and Shaw for Targett would improve us (despite how good Mings/Targett are). It'd be a toss up between Wan Bissaka and Cash (the former edges it defensively but the latter attack wise). I'd undoubtedly take Konsa over Lindelof but it'll be Varane this year who will surely improve them. The best composite 4 would likely be: Shaw, Maguire, Konsa, Cash so not obvious either way

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I think JWP is a much better player than Anguissa, who for 2 seasons now (either side of a loan spell), for whatever reason wasn't relied on when the chips were down for Fulham. I don't know why, but that sets alarm bells ringing. JWP is the epitome of reliable. Still wouldn't spend 50m though, but he'd be a top notch signing. We'd be a threat from set pieces, we'd have someone very good at keeping the ball as well as in the press. I think him and Sanson could make a very dynamic duo in front of Luiz/Nakamba.

He’d be a great signing but I don’t think we are planning to spend £50m. I think that’s a fanciful, plucked out of the air figure. If what has been reported is right, who knows, then we opened the bidding at £25m? Now I’m sure we didn’t expect a straight yes, but equally we’re not expecting to pay double that amount either. I hear all the comments along the lines that Southampton won’t want to sell, he’s got 4 years left on his contract etc, but this is a hostile bid. I don’t mean we’re being nasty, but I mean they don’t welcome it, on the surface anyway. However if stories are right that they are in the financial mire, then they may have little choice.

Add to that, the sales of other top players is hardly likely to breed confidence in the remaining players. What are the chances that a player from a struggling, or even relegated club gets to make the WC squad? We were desperate to keep our top player, a lifelong fan apparently, and we were on an upward curve, trying to surround him with quality players but still he left. So looking at it from JWP’s point of view, it’s hardly a stretch to think he might fancy a move. None of us really know what’s going on, but Southampton now has a real feeling of us in 2015/16 about it. Which is a shame because they are a likeable club, but I don’t suppose there was a great deal of sympathy for us when we went down either. 

We probably want JWP, it is likely that he wants a move, we have financial clout, ambition and are upwardly mobile, which all adds up to this being very doable. It may not happen for any number of reasons but I think as things are at the moment, it is more likely to happen than not. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, JPJCB said:

Can't tell if this is a joke. Do you mean you'd have any of our individual  back 4 players vs any of theirs? Or our total back 4 vs their total back 4?

Either way, I think Maguire for Mings and Shaw for Targett would improve us (despite how good Mings/Targett are). It'd be a toss up between Wan Bissaka and Cash (the former edges it defensively but the latter attack wise). I'd undoubtedly take Konsa over Lindelof but it'll be Varane this year who will surely improve them. The best composite 4 would likely be: Shaw, Maguire, Konsa, Cash so not obvious either way

As a unit, but also konsa is better than lindelof and cash is better than bissaka.  Our back 4 isnt far away from top 4.  I do agree that Mings isnt a top 4 CB.

1 minute ago, DaveAV1 said:

He’d be a great signing but I don’t think we are planning to spend £50m. I think that’s a fanciful, plucked out of the air figure. If what has been reported is right, who knows, then we opened the bidding at £25m? Now I’m sure we didn’t expect a straight yes, but equally we’re not expecting to pay double that amount either. I hear all the comments along the lines that Southampton won’t want to sell, he’s got 4 years left on his contract etc, but this is a hostile bid. I don’t mean we’re being nasty, but I mean they don’t welcome it, on the surface anyway. However if stories are right that they are in the financial mire, then they may have little choice.

Add to that, the sales of other top players is hardly likely to breed confidence in the remaining players. What are the chances that a player from a struggling, or even relegated club gets to make the WC squad? We were desperate to keep our top player, a lifelong fan apparently, and we were on an upward curve, trying to surround him with quality players but still he left. So looking at it from JWP’s point of view, it’s hardly a stretch to think he might fancy a move. None of us really know what’s going on, but Southampton now has a real feeling of us in 2015/16 about it. Which is a shame because they are a likeable club, but I don’t suppose there was a great deal of sympathy for us when we went down either. 

We probably want JWP, it is likely that he wants a move, we have financial clout, ambition and are upwardly mobile, which all adds up to this being very doable. It may not happen for any number of reasons but I think as things are at the moment, it is more likely to happen than not. 

Great post, spot on. 

I see a lot of Southampton fans on Twitter sounding a lot like us Villa fans two weeks ago..

’He loves the club’,
’Been here since he was a kid’
’Just signed a new deal’

etc. etc.

I want to just tell them, none of this matters. Now we might not end up signing JWP, but I would bet my bottom dollar that if we don’t, it won’t be because JWP doesn’t want to come here (as arrogant as that sounds). 

Money/ambition talks. We had to find out the hard way and Southampton might too. 

• Thanks 1

Â