Match Thread: Villa v West Brom

limpid

Swap McGinn for Bassouma and i reckon that would be a big step forward for our midfield. Appreciate all he has done for us but should be on bench fighting for a place now, not an automatic starter. We need better, and with better i think Luis will shine more. Think he gets pelters on here, but is often hung out to dry by McGinns sloppiness.

Edited by honest_bertie
  • Like 1

Good game so far on balance. Don't actually think we've played too badly either ("if I'm allowed to say that") but McGinn is having a howler and so many semi encouraging moves have bizarrely broken down with him. We've otherwise been alternating between good build up with a disappointing delivery or in some cases a good delivery with nobody attacking it.

Game is more than there to be won anyway.

Edited by Indigo
  • Like 1

Just now, Dale said:

Really confused with some of the comments here. We've been as good as I've seen is in months. Some really slick movement, breaking down a very deep WBA side. Just need to be a bit cuter. Don't have huge amounts of complaintd

Yep agree 👍

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

He doesn't teach them to make daft unforced errors - that's not coaching.

It's the usual suspects with the brain farts. At some point players have to take responsibility. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Watkins looks totally disinterested

He's been absolutely battered by them, the number of sly digs is incredible 

Disappointing that there's been a few half decent balls played in that he hasn't gambled on or even made any kind of attack 

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

He doesn't teach them to make daft unforced errors - that's not coaching.

He puts systems inplace to minimise mistakes. Sure he can't be responsible for the odd stray pass - but if it keeps happening then the head coach should be addressing it.

Bigger problem (or maybe part of the same) we look half assed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

McGinn has been the main initiator of breaking down a multitude of moves and giving it away.

Not for the first time, his giveaways have put us under pressure or seen us concede.

How has he been so poor for so long?

Right on the money. However, he's also made quite a few well timed interceptions too. He's been all over the place. Hopefully he settles down in the second half. 

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

What can he change though? 

McGinn can't pass a ball 5 yards, who does he play instead? A not fully fit Ramsey? Nakamba? 

Our squad is looking really poor right now, too many underperforming players not enough options to replace them 

I am alarmed by mcginn. He seems to be really shit recently 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

To me we are marginally better than a soon to be relegated side assembled on a fraction of our budget.

Good job we splashed the cash then otherwise we would be like them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dale said:

Really confused with some of the comments here. We've been as good as I've seen is in months. Some really slick movement, breaking down a very deep WBA side. Just need to be a bit cuter. Don't have huge amounts of complaintd

What game are you watching?

• Like 2

Absolutely terrible, no fight, no urgency, can’t keep the ball, can’t create chances and getting bossed at the back. Smith out.

Not really, we’re playing ok. Barkley good in patches. Cut out errors and concentrate, we get 2 more.

Just now, Demitri_C said:

I am alarmed by mcginn. He seems to be really shit recently 

He’s not good enough for the top half of the premier league. I think we’ve seen enough of him now to know that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, honest_bertie said:

Swap McGinn for Bassouma and i reckon that would be a big step forward for our midfield. Appreciate all he has done for us but should be on bench fighting for a place now, not an automatic starter. We need better, and with better i think Luis will shine more. Think he gets pelters on her but is often hung out to dry by McGinns sloppiness.

Bissouma is quality! Him in our midfield would be a huge improvement 

• Like 2