Match Thread: Villa v West Brom

limpid

Just now, Demitri_C said:

I am alarmed by mcginn. He seems to be really shit recently 

He's properly awful right now, before it was questionable fitness and getting about the pitch after his injury but now it's just general basic footballing mistakes, his short range passing gas abandoned him completely 

Think the ref helped balance the game in WBA's favor tbh. some utterly bizarre decisions. however we can't let this get to us as much as it does.

we're doing ok and I think we can win this, but need to sharpen up in the second half and stop this trend towards the sloppy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

It's the usual suspects with the brain farts. At some point players have to take responsibility. 

Exactly - players, not the manager. The manager is responsible for putting them in the right places, coming up with schemes that get them the ball in space thirty yards out, if they then waft a leg at it like a tramp on spice then it's on them, not the manager.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Is it me, or even in the rarest of events in which we win an areal duel in midfield we are hopeless at directing the header to a team mate and inexorably hand it straight back to the opposition? The lack of hight in midfield is something Villa never adressed in the last 10 years and it's always a constant struggle. I can't think of any tall central/defensive midfielders we've signed in the past decade other than Sanchez, jedinak and scylla. McGinn and Luiz have got to be the shortest pairing in the league, haven't they? 

4 minutes ago, Dale said:

Really confused with some of the comments here. We've been as good as I've seen is in months. Some really slick movement, breaking down a very deep WBA side. Just need to be a bit cuter. Don't have huge amounts of complaintd

It doesn't matter. The match thread will always be a moan fest. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Exactly - players, not the manager. The manager is responsible for putting them in the right places, coming up with schemes that get them the ball in space thirty yards out, if they then waft a leg at it like a tramp on spice then it's on them, not the manager.

It's the manager's job to drill them on their mistakes (which they keep repeating), and if they're not rectifying them, he should be giving the youth a chance.

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Mate we all love McGinn, but watching this game, i'm starting to realise he is actually hindering us more than helping us.

Needs to be dropped/replaced.

A quality, strong midfielder in his place, transforms us IMO.

Once we lose control, it's like we forget how to play, and he's been guilty too many times of putting us under pressure.

He is derailing breakaways and shapes.

unfortunately this seems to be the case judging from his performances as of late. he works pretty hard and breaks up play decently, but his passing has been utterly gash for quite some time now.

• Like 1