Match Thread: Villa v West Brom

limpid

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

McGinn has been the main initiator of breaking down a multitude of moves and giving it away.

Not for the first time, his giveaways have put us under pressure or seen us concede.

How has he been so poor for so long?

And why? He was way better than this when we only survived by the skin of our teeth. I don't understand what's happened to him. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, allani said:

To be fair I think people are justified in being frustrated that we are second best to a team that are 10 points off safety.

Fair enough.  I’m frustrated that we are not winning as well.  
But at least I can see that we are playing better than our last few matches, the score is finely balanced at 1-1, and we’ve shown enough glimmers of good attacking that a goal could come for us at any minute.

Just now, sheepyvillian said:

Douglas Luiz must be high up in the stats for midfielders who have give away free - kicks on the edge of the six yard box. " Goal side, my son, goal side ".

Been excellent so far though, the best of our midfield three - although with McGinn playing like he's got a blindfold on that's not tricky.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Its been like this for weeks not a one off. It is on smith as much as the players i thjnk OBE

What can he change though? 

McGinn can't pass a ball 5 yards, who does he play instead? A not fully fit Ramsey? Nakamba? 

Our squad is looking really poor right now, too many underperforming players not enough options to replace them 

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

McGinn has been the main initiator of breaking down a multitude of moves and giving it away.

Not for the first time, his giveaways have put us under pressure or seen us concede.

How has he been so poor for so long?

Very much this. I’m a big SJM fan but won’t complain if he gets yeeted for Ramsey in the 2nd half. Poor today. 

Edit: also, despite cursing AEG almost constantly, he’s playing well today. 

Edited by Awol

Really confused with some of the comments here. We've been as good as I've seen is in months. Some really slick movement, breaking down a very deep WBA side. Just need to be a bit cuter. Don't have huge amounts of complaintd

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

This isn't on the manager - the plan is good, it's the passing that's bad.

Not watching, but I'm intrigued. What's the plan? I'm just asking cause since Grealish got injured we haven't had a plan. 

We have been passing and passing, mostly backwards. Clueless as how to create. Added to this we manage to play with wingers who prefers to cut inside, which means we are stupidly predictable and lack crosses into the box of sufficient quality. 

Just now, Robtaylor200 said:

So what would you do second half and wonder if we all have the same thoughts :)

Get Ramsey on 

Possibly.  I’d give the same team the first 10 mins of the second half.  Then change it if nothing happens.

• Like 1