Match Thread: Villa v West Brom

limpid

Just now, VillaAlex said:

Midfield letting us down again. Has to be first priority in the summer, especially in the centre. 

Midfield is where we lose so many matches when Grealish isn’t there as an outlet for them. Luiz and McGinn are decent squad players, but if we had Bissouma and another similar quality CM we would be so much more resilient. We just keep getting bullied at the moment.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

It doesn't matter. The match thread will always be a moan fest. 

West Brom are rubbish and I would generally say they are dragging us down to there level, but this year, we have been there level.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Mate we all love McGinn, but watching this game, i'm starting to realise he is actually hindering us more than helping us.

Needs to be dropped/replaced.

A quality, strong midfielder in his place, transforms us IMO.

Once we lose control, it's like we forget how to play, and he's been guilty too many times of putting us under pressure.

He is derailing breakaways and shapes.

Well obviously not speaking just from this game, a multitude of games, but it's easier to spot when the lads around him are playing well enough. Than when they are all shite.

For most of this season and last I have been saying just that.

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Exactly - players, not the manager. The manager is responsible for putting them in the right places, coming up with schemes that get them the ball in space thirty yards out, if they then waft a leg at it like a tramp on spice then it's on them, not the manager.

Well Mcginn has been a culprit of misplaced passes ? - does the head coach not have power to remove poor performers ? ( Preferably before 67 mins)

No way will Smith continue to get a free ride much beyond the start of next season.

1 minute ago, est1874 said:

It's the manager's job to drill them on their mistakes (which they keep repeating), and if they're not rectifying them, he should be giving the youth a chance.

He's not there to teach an international footballer how to pass the ball 5 yards 

• Like 1

Not great but not awful either. If they hadn’t got such a soft penalty we would probably have been cruising. Mind you our penalty was soft too.

Very much in the balance this one. They do seem to be a bit more up for it. Think it will end up 2-3 based upon very little. Let’s hope I am wrong! UTV

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I actually think Sanson would have been good in a game like this.

Anyway i'm encouraged by some of the good play, hopefully they regroup and come out, as they started.

I think we were a bit tilted by the ref and lost some focus. hopefully we come in with clearer heads and a feeling that we can beat these bastards.

• Like 1

Just now, hippo said:

Well Mcginn has been a culprit of misplaced passes ? - does the head coach not have power to remove poor performers ? ( Preferably before 67 mins)

No way will Smith continue to get a free ride much beyond the start of next season.

For who? 

A defensive midfielder vs West brom or a not fully fit teenager? 

McGinn has been shit but our options are not much better 

13 minutes ago, hippo said:

Hes the head coach. He coaches the players. 

Apparently it's on Smith when we play well and it's on the players when we play bad

Smith can do no wrong

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Mate we all love McGinn, but watching this game, i'm starting to realise he is actually hindering us more than helping us.

Needs to be dropped/replaced.

A quality, strong midfielder in his place, transforms us IMO.

Once we lose control, it's like we forget how to play, and he's been guilty too many times of putting us under pressure.

He is derailing breakaways and shapes.

Well obviously not speaking just from this game, a multitude of games, but it's easier to spot when the lads around him are playing well enough. Than when they are all shite.

I love McGinn myself but to be honest have always seen his ceiling as a mid-table PL player at best. The thing with him is that he's also a complete statistical anomaly and even at his best attempts and completes very few short passes, which is going to be expected more from you the better the team you play for as you naturally have more possession. Think he's suffered most from how much we've progressed and what is expected of a midfielder playing for us in our current iteration.