Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

To be fair, this might see Deano change the system, it's hard to blame him for sticking with a system which has worked quite well for us so far.

However, I'm pretty sure he will change it now.

I'm slightly worried about us wasting Ings.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

If we absolutely must have three central midfielders, you can still do so in a 4-3-3. 

I still suspect that the primary driver for it is being able to cram Ings and Watkins into the same team up top

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I still suspect that the primary driver for it is being able to cram Ings and Watkins into the same team up top

Or that Bailey has been injured seems closer to the mark.

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Yep.

Ings a great player but just don't understand the signing. If we swap formation he has to bench one of them (No, Watkins can't play out wide).

8 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Yes, I agree, but I would try something different even if one of them has to stay on the bench.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

To be fair, this might see Deano change the system, it's hard to blame him for sticking with a system which has worked quite well for us so far.

However, I'm pretty sure he will change it now.

I'm slightly worried about us wasting Ings.

I really hope it doesn't.

This system has seen us play really well against Chelsea, Everton and Man Utd.  Just because we lose one game, we shouldn't go changing up how we're playing.

It's this reactionary stuff that really annoys me about our fan base (not aimed at you, just general).

• Like 3

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

This system has seen us play really well against Chelsea, Everton and Man Utd.  Just because we lose one game, we shouldn't go changing up how we're playing.

It's this reactionary stuff that really annoys me about our fan base (not aimed at you, just general).

Your right, it should be changed in game if it's not working, to adjust to a particular system the other team is playing.

1 minute ago, leemond2008 said:

No problem with the starting 11, it would have been very difficult to change it after the Man Utd game.

The problem comes with the changes, it was clear that it wasn't working from 10 minutes into the game, we keep hearing about how much better the squad depth is, make a change at half time and change the system.

The other thing (and this probably isn't for the Dean Smith thread but he is the manager so ultimately the tactics side of thing does relate to him, why oh why did we resort to getting Cash to take a long throw in at every single possible opportunity? keep them guessing, have someone come short every now and again so they can whip an actual cross in, the long throws are great every now and again when they are working but Cash isn't Delap and we aren't Stoke, we don't need to do it every single time.

Spot on hear mate, also the other teams know we will change it up at 70+ too, as this happens 95% of our games. I also really don't agree with bringing players on at 85+ either when we are losing, as they are hardly going to have a impact on the game.

Buendia needs to start games too and stop playing CAM.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Also fair mate. Personally, I've always said I like the formation.

Might just need a tweak, or slight personell rearrangement?

Either way, was an off day for us, when 1 or 2 of our players, especially in midfield, have an off day, the whole team seems to disintegrate.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I get your point, but Dean now has the squad to change things up and try different things against different teams. If this formation is right for Wolves so be it, but I hope he changes things, doesn't mean we can't go back to the system we are playing now, I just don't think it works against every team and the talent we have signed need games if fit.

1 hour ago, Condimentalist said:

Time to go back to 4 at the back with wingers - which sadly probably means Ings on the bench, but we can't start them all. Hopefully Bailey is back but even if he isn't I'd still go 433/4231.

I agree that switch to 4-3-3 is needed. I'm just worried that our LW options are not good enough if Bailey is still not fit to start. It would mean El Ghazi starting, I am not a big fan of that.

Axel and Buendia will both start v Wolves imo so that would be example of keeping same formation but tweaking it slightly with different skillsets.

I'd also make a case for putting Bailey into the front two instead of Ings but don't think we'd see that for a few more weeks.

46 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I don't think it's the best formation against teams that sit back. It definitely has a role for us this season but against Wolves we should go back to 4 at the back. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

I agree that switch to 4-3-3 is needed. I'm just worried that our LW options are not good enough if Bailey is still not fit to start. It would mean El Ghazi starting, I am not a big fan of that.

Maybe. You could also play Buendia there. Bidace is pushing hard for more involvement too. 

Hopefully Bailey makes it but I just don't think 352 works against teams that sit and counter, our full backs get caught too high too often and we lack real creativity.

19 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

I'm not a fan of AEG either.  But I don't know if it's just me not being knowledgeable of the modern game, but it boggles my mind that we have a decent left footed player in Traore who either can't play or wont play on the left wing. 

I also would have thought Buendia would have enough fitness now to start games.  If he doesn't start, he's not going to get up to full match fitness.  We could theoretically be playing Buendia and Traore as wingers.

The 3-5-2 formation change surprises me a bit, although I can't complain if it bring in results like at man u.  I can't see it being used long term though.  Would Bailey be good enough as a wing back?

Still not convinced about the middle 3 (mcginn, luiz & ramsey) unless there is more creativity from the wings. 

12 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

I also would have thought Buendia would have enough fitness now to start games.  If he doesn't start, he's not going to get up to full match fitness.  We could theoretically be playing Buendia and Traore as wingers.

Neither Buendia nor Traore ever in their careers played on the left wing. Not sure why.

It's really down to El Ghazi or Young ( having watched JPB in last U23 game, he is defo not ready to start PL game) on LW if Bailey is not fit. I don't fancy any of these 2 options.

Â