Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

15 hours ago, villalad21 said:

No one could foresee Ramsey's massive strides. 

Fixed our midfield issues. 

Tbh a few of us were impressed with him last season and had to constantly jump to his thread to defend him

• Like 3

1 minute ago, gwi1890 said:

Tbh a few of us were impressed with him last season and had to constantly jump to his thread to defend him

I even was questioned when I said he'll be one of our most important players.

Who's laughing now bit cheese???

16 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

To be fair mate, I think it's a combination of the points.

Ramsey replacing Barkley and exceling, allows the midfielders to play their games and offers them alot more protection.

Also shows what an overall waste and detriment Barkley was, despite some outstanding moments.

Some were rightly worried about the midfield, and i'd like to point out that, it's not only Villa fans on this forum who were concerned.

Fair play to everyone involved though, they've been great.

I think it was fair to have some concerns, because it's the area we didn't address. But it really did go over the top from some. 

6 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

I even was questioned when I said he'll be one of our most important players.

Who's laughing now bit cheese???

Me to apparently he was definitely out on loan this season and Chuckwemeka was going to get a chance , Chuckwemka gets his full debut and they are like “ needs a loan”  🤷🏿‍♂️ 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Agreed, not that he necessarily did anything outstanding, but you could just see that, with some confidence and development, he could go on to be a very good CM at minimum.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Agreed, not that he necessarily did anything outstanding, but you could just see that, with some confidence and development, he could go on to be a very good CM at minimum.

you could see flashes his assist to Traore vs Bristol the way he manoeuvred in tight and his close control and the fact he had no errors leading to goals a stat every midfielder and defender at the club has, add growing up a bit and gaining confidence and good coaching it was only a matter of time, now his next step get that first goal! 

• Like 1

Deano is going to push Targett/Young and Cash forward no matter the formation. He's done it in a 4-2-3-1 and a 4-3-3. The 3-5-2 just gives them more freedom.

As I've said before, looking at who we bought, I don't think that he intends to play 3-5-2 as his first choice against most teams. He will not necessarily play 3-5-2 against all the Big Four sides either. They all play differently.

Against Man U...Pogba can hurt you from deep. Fernandes can hurt you from a more advanced position. Ronaldo still has it and can hurt you from anywhere. But they don't have much steel in midfield.

I think you go either 3-5-2 or 4-2-3-1 because they both essentially involve 5 midfielders. Don't give those three space to play. Crowd the midfield. Starve Ronaldo and Fernandes for service. Make them defend and try to pin them back. The danger in this match is Pogba, because even if you press hard and pin them back, he can open you up with the long pass. Defending against the long pass means not pushing your backs too far forward. That means more distance between your forward players and your backs. That means 4-2-3-1, with more depth (at the expensive of width, which their 4-2-3-1 won't have, either.)

But hey, what do I know. I've been wrong every match since the first one.

17 hours ago, villalad21 said:

No one could foresee Ramsey's massive strides. 

Fixed our midfield issues. 

Speak for yourself. Multiple posters were on here last season pointing out his growth and how those minutes he got would be huge for his development. 

• Like 1

I have no problem admitting I was unsure of Ramsey after last season. So what. However, of course I am glad he has started this season well. I mean who wouldn't be if it benefits the team. 

I'm not going to get ahead of myself either after only 5 games but he's definitely looking much better this season.

I like the look of the formation. You’ve to be extremely fit to play it and certainly have to have that buy in from each and every player. I do think it’s still horses for courses, we’ll adjust to the opposition we are playing. Do we really need to see 3 centre backs occupying an albeit deadly but not as much mobile as he once was, Ronaldo, next weekend. Not so sure. 

Edited by Johnnyp

8 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

The people who think we changed formation just because Leon Bailey came on probably were watching Puss in boots with the chuckle brothers 

Wellllll I only thought we changed when Bertie came on tbh, looked like Konsa moved to rb and Ashley lb and Ramsey played off the left with ings dropping in to the hole (McCarthy gif) but hey maybe I’m wrong

• Like 2

1 minute ago, StewieGriffin said:

A bit concerned with the amount of clear chances we've created for Watkins and Ings so far. I get the intention (and the need) to spread goals around, but you still need to make chances for your striker(s)

Doesn't matter who scores the goals so long we win.

• Like 1

The formation yesterday choked Everton half to death, and created the conditions for a player like Bailey to come in and strike the fatal blow. So whilst the attacking guile may have been missing for much of the first half in particular, the old adage that games are 90 minutes long has rarely been more clear. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, StewieGriffin said:

A bit concerned with the amount of clear chances we've created for Watkins and Ings so far. I get the intention (and the need) to spread goals around, but you still need to make chances for your striker(s)

Watkins had decent chances against Chelsea.

Edited by Rolta

It’s interesting that we beat a ‘depleted’ Everton side at the weekend, yet I feel we now have a squad capable of coping with a few injuries and still being able to win games like that one. You would argue that it’s only the GK position where we are significantly weaker.

Â