Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

6 minutes ago, sne said:

I've said this before, we don't play with the same intensity that some other teams do, and we conserve our energy.  Probably also a reason why we don't have players dropping with injury.  Our injuries have nothing to do with our style of play, 3 ACL injuries is just bad luck, and JJ injured with England U21.

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Very interesting stats there. We do seem to play specific game plans to conserve energy especially when we are in control of the game. 

You could see it back in the autumn. When we beat the likes of Luton with barely getting a sweat on.  Slowly playing when we could have gone to town . 

This is what happens when u have 16 seasons in Europe consecutively. You learn about how to avoid loading the players too much.  Look at Howe at Newcastle. He played the Chumps league like the Prem. All out running . And i am convinced thats what killed all their players and contributed to the injuries. 

All of this experience leads to us winning 7 and drawing 3 of the 12 games following Euro competition. He knows. He just knows..

• Like 2

We have only three senior midfielders healthy: McGinn, Doug, Rogers. We're missing Buendia, JJ, Kamara, Tielemans, Zaniolo. The first three are definitely gone for the season. We don't know how long the latter two are out. Assuming none of the 5 are ready for the next few matches, what do you do?

Play both Bailey and Diaby? That got us overrun in midfield against Chelsea. Yes, I know, Unai has played Bailey in midfield in the 4-4-2 many times this season, but almost always with McGinn or Tielemans as the second "forward," so you still had a 4th midfielder on the pitch who could move back if needed.

Start Tim? High stakes point in the season to rely on a youngster.

I suppose you have to play both Bailey and Diaby and somehow adjust tactically...

5 minutes ago, TomC said:

We have only three senior midfielders healthy: McGinn, Doug, Rogers. We're missing Buendia, JJ, Kamara, Tielemans, Zaniolo. The first three are definitely gone for the season. We don't know how long the latter two are out. Assuming none of the 5 are ready for the next few matches, what do you do?

Play both Bailey and Diaby? That got us overrun in midfield against Chelsea. Yes, I know, Unai has played Bailey in midfield in the 4-4-2 many times this season, but almost always with McGinn or Tielemans as the second "forward," so you still had a 4th midfielder on the pitch who could move back if needed.

Start Tim? High stakes point in the season to rely on a youngster.

I suppose you have to play both Bailey and Diaby and somehow adjust tactically...

Could we see the midfield three you mentioned, with Watkins left, Bailey right, and Duran through the middle at some point?  It gives us the long ball target man option from the off to take the pressure off Olsen. From what I remember we’ve ended the last few games with Watkins moving out left.

Â