Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

15 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Yes hes a much better finisher. Watkins can get there though! If I had to pick who to play out of the two it would be Watkins every time though

Yeh I’m with you, Paul. I’d still like Watkins to play with Buendia just in behind. 

I don’t think Watkins and Ings have really clicked at all yet but that’s not to say either are bad players - I certainly rate both individually. 

30 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Yeh I’m with you, Paul. I’d still like Watkins to play with Buendia just in behind. 

I don’t think Watkins and Ings have really clicked at all yet but that’s not to say either are bad players - I certainly rate both individually. 

As a pairing they havent clicked with very little passing between the 2 . From listening to a PGR podcast earlier the most they have interacted in a game is 4 times so far. 

What was said though was their pressing is key to why Dougie Ramsey and McGinn are getting so forward and having a big influence on games . Thats football for you. 

They are playing for the team at the moment although Danny looks the far happier of the two. Ollie just seems very reserved although thats his personality i guess. Not exactly the most emotional of players when someone else scores. 

4 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

As a pairing they havent clicked with very little passing between the 2 . From listening to a PGR podcast earlier the most they have interacted in a game is 4 times so far. 

What was said though was their pressing is key to why Dougie Ramsey and McGinn are getting so forward and having a big influence on games . Thats football for you. 

They are playing for the team at the moment although Danny looks the far happier of the two. Ollie just seems very reserved although thats his personality i guess. Not exactly the most emotional of players when someone else scores. 

Yeh, I definitely think they’re contributing but there will come a time I think when they’ll have to link up more. Buendia is our record signing and right now i think id rather him replace one of Ings or Watkins than the midfield 3.

• Like 1

Question for you lot. It seems Deano will persist  in playing Ollie and Ings up top with a 3 5 2 . Probably until we come unstuck.

So could we play Buendia as one of the central 3 , probably on the right. 

Watkins      Ings

Targett  Mcginn       Luiz       Buendia    Cash

Been trying to work out how we can get games for him and Bailey without screwing up our tactics . And thats without even thinking about Bidace and Traore . 

13 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Yeh, I definitely think they’re contributing but there will come a time I think when they’ll have to link up more. Buendia is our record signing and right now i think id rather him replace one of Ings or Watkins than the midfield 3.

Competition is good though isn't it! I didn't think Ollie was at it last time out, although it's clearly just cos he's not been back long. I would have considered dropping him for Buendia to give him a bit more time, but with Bailey out I would expect us to accommodate both. 

Tottenham is a big big game for Buendia, if he wants to keep a shirt. 

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

I thought this, then he did change it, and it got even worse :D

Yeah he put Buendia in the wrong position. 

He isn't a cam. Norwich fans told us this. 

Edited by villalad21

2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Its time he scrapped the 3-5-2.  Yes we have got a couple of good results with it but today was awful 

Yeah, the fixtures are getting easier so it's time for it to go, I never really like it as a formation anyway. 

If we absolutely must have three central midfielders, you can still do so in a 4-3-3. 

• Like 1

Well, you'd have to say the 352 worked well when we played sides that came at us (Chelsea, United), it wasn't great for an hour against Everton but they were poor and when we scored we ran riot. 

Today, with Spurs sitting back, it just didn't work. Poor individual performances didn't help but we didn't really look like we had the discipline and were constantly caught out at the back.

Time to go back to 4 at the back with wingers - which sadly probably means Ings on the bench, but we can't start them all. Hopefully Bailey is back but even if he isn't I'd still go 433/4231.

• Like 1

If Bailey could not be injured 24/7 we'd have probably moved away from the back 3 already.

Fingers crossed he can finally stay fit after the international break and start games, what Smith decides to do with Ings and Watkins though I've not a clue because I think it's clear they aren't working together for whatever reason. Buendia not looking good is probably another big reason we haven't moved back to wingers. 

• Like 1

playing zero creative players in the first 11 is criminal.

Not playing Bailey (when fit), Bunedia or Traore, none of them!, in the first 11, is criminal, when we are playing literally nobody with creativity.....

Watching Villa today was just hoof ball and hope, shocking to watch, we could string 2 passes together.

I know we are a "work in progress", but this is our third year back in the PL, we have spent the best part of 325m on players in 2.5 years, its unacceptable to not be able to string 2 passes together or look more cohesive.

Im not worried about the "loss" to Spurs, but the manner of it, it was pure amateur Sunday league stuff (again).

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

I would defo go back to 4-3-3 for the next game. 3-5-2 for certain games but its not the players we have the formation for all the time. 

• Like 2

Just now, villalad21 said:

When was the last time we won a game when finding ourselves in a losing position?

It seem to be score first and win or concede first and lose. 

ironically enough it was this fixture last year at the end of May

7 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

playing zero creative players in the first 11 is criminal.

Not playing Bailey (when fit), Bunedia or Traore, none of them!, in the first 11, is criminal, when we are playing literally nobody with creativity.....

Watching Villa today was just hoof ball and hope, shocking to watch, we could string 2 passes together.

I know we are a "work in progress", but this is our third year back in the PL, we have spent the best part of 325m on players in 2.5 years, its unacceptable to not be able to string 2 passes together or look more cohesive.

Im not worried about the "loss" to Spurs, but the manner of it, it was pure amateur Sunday league stuff (again).

Yes its not the fact we lost to Spurs, its the lack of football we are playing. Its like Burnley or Wimbledon from the past. shocking to watch 

• Haha 1

Â