The Race for Europe 20/21

GingerCollins29

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I have no idea what this new competition is or how you qualify. 

The Europa league was fine, it just needed to be less intense and more of a knockout vibe. 

Yep. Return it to the old 2 legged knock out format of the UEFA cup and it will be a decent tournament again. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Yep. Return it to the old 2 legged knock out format of the UEFA cup and it will be a decent tournament again. 

You must be joking. TV companies love round robin formats followed by a long knockout stages, it guarantees regular matches. You can also sell the rights in different parcels, thereby increasing your revenues.  The Europa does well when the 3rd place teams from the Champions League drops in as some of them might be big names.

They don't  like randomness that a traditional cup format offers. Its all about the money.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I have no idea what this new competition is or how you qualify. 

The Europa league was fine, it just needed to be less intense and more of a knockout vibe. 

It wasn't fine but that was because of UEFAs own doing, the financial disparity of the CL and then the 3rd place dropping in to it guff undermined the competition making it distinctly 2nd tier and unable to fight through the noise 

So the answer was obviously to dilute it further and add a 3rd tier with less prize money and less esteem 

Chicago Bulls What GIF by NBA

They should have diluted the CL in to the EL or at least spread some of the love but instead they're moving to increase the disparity further, if this new CL structure goes ahead with more teams the the EL2 will be the dregs, it'll be the inter toto reborn 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

You must be joking. TV companies love round robin formats followed by a long knockout stages, it guarantees regular matches. You can also sell the rights in different parcels, thereby increasing your revenues.  The Europa does well when the 3rd place teams from the Champions League drops in as some of them might be big names.

They don't  like randomness that a traditional cup format offers. Its all about the money.

Agree but the EL doesn't make money because no one cares 

The EL2 will be even worse 

• Like 1

As it stands these are our March games:

Home to Wolves

Away to Newcastle

Away to Sheffield United

Home to Fulham

Given we'd always mess up in March under MON which put us on backfoot for top 4 finishes then it would be brilliant to get 10 points from those which would put us in a real strong position.

Would be happy with 5 points from our next 3 games to keep ticking along.

• Like 1

Just now, ender4 said:

Any ideas what the likely dates are for the rearranged Everton & Spurs matches? 🤷‍♂️

I get the feeling the premier league will step in if Spurs get knocked out of the cup in midweek and request we play them on FA cup 6th round weekend (we're playing Sheffield United that weekend).

Will be pretty easy to arrange if Sheffield beat Bristol City but if they don't I can still see premier league wanting it as no way would they risk it going into May given Spurs could be in europa still.

Everton and Sheffield United can be any midweek really.

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Wednesday 24th February looks free for both us and Everton.

Would be a good time to play them as they've got Man. City and Liverpool in the 7 days before that game so surely would be a bit burnt out by the third game.

However think I'd rather have a free week  as we'd have a 7 day run of Leicester-Everton-leeds and Leeds usually run us out of the ground so wouldn't fancy us going into it with energy levels low v West Ham.

Not that we'll get them, but 8 out of next 10 games could be winnable if we're performing at a high level and get a little luck - this season has been a surprise all the way through, I see that trend possibly  continuing and goodness me we could be set for one of the best seasons of our lives.

10 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Agree but the EL doesn't make money because no one cares 

The EL2 will be even worse 

It does make money. It just makes not that much money in comparison to PL revenue, hence English clubs being half heartened about it. Especially as they have to build up their squad once they qualify.  For any other league  outside the big 4 it is still decent bunce.

20 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

It does make money. It just makes not that much money in comparison to PL revenue, hence English clubs being half heartened about it. Especially as they have to build up their squad once they qualify.  For any other league  outside the big 4 it is still decent bunce.

the winner gets around £20m

the CL winner gets around £100m...the english clubs get circa £40m just for turning up to the group stages of the CL

you cant have that kind of disparity and then still claim that the EL is a meaningful tournament 

if you get 3 far flung eastern european teams in the EL group stage then you can lose money in the EL, im sure either boro of fulham when they had a decent run in the competition said they just about broke even

Edited by villa4europe

13 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

the winner gets around £20m

the CL winner gets around £100m...the english clubs get circa £40m just for turning up to the group stages of the CL

you cant have that kind of disparity and then still claim that the EL is a meaningful tournament 

if you get 3 far flung eastern european teams in the EL group stage then you can lose money in the EL, im sure either boro of fulham when they had a decent run in the competition said they just about broke even

It depends on your perspective. For the english teams no not really. For most european leagues it matters.

In perspective the FA winner gets £1.8m, and the League Cup £100,000. Yes really.

16 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Remember the Intertoto Cup? We qualified to the Uefa once via this. I remember watching the Odense game in July at Villa Park and it was absolutely boiling!

I think that was when Freddy Bouma got that horrible injury. Ouch.

Didn’t Merse come back about two stone overweight as well