The Race for Europe 20/21

GingerCollins29

it's definitely possible we can get a european place.

but it's incredibly depressing that no european tours will be happening as i highly doubt we will see a full stadium in europe before the end of the year

• Sad 1

Its great to dream and Europe is certainly doing that.

I am forever reminded, that we just escaped relegation last season and here we are raising the bar....and forgetting all that...However, i do believe in looking forward and not backwards.....but its a tough call.

We have done very well to avoid injuries to key players, so far, and that ,would need that to continue.....i still don't think the squad is quite strong enough, for this dream, but would be happy to be proved wrong.

22 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

it's definitely possible we can get a european place.

but it's incredibly depressing that no european tours will be happening as i highly doubt we will see a full stadium in europe before the end of the year

We better get to the final of said competition then!

• Like 1

I think a top 7 is very very doable and would mean Europe of some kind.  Any higher needs a bit of a change to ours or others form,  but still possible. 

Even if we dont, I'd be happy with any top half finish as a massive progression. It is rapdily getting to the point where not qualifying for Europe would be a missed opportunity.

Love it!

• Like 2

Exciting times. A genuine shot to challenge for a European place. Next weekend could be a good set of fixtures for us, as Leicester play Liverpool at the KP and Man City have Spurs at home. A chance to leapfrog Spurs if we can beat Brighton, and close the gap to Liverpool. 

Edited by villan-scott
  • Like 1

I am still pinching myself that we are seriously talking about qualifying for Europe and people are not busting out loud laughing.

Barely two years ago  we were floundering around mid table in the Championship and seriously looking at a fourth season in the Championship and yet another year of watching Quest.

Our progression since then has been ridiculous. 

• Like 1

I think our only genuine chance of a European finish is if both additional European places are applied to the league via Cups.

As follows:

a) If the FA Cup winners finish in the top five of the Premier League, their UEL group stage place will go to the next-highest ranked team not qualified for UEFA competitions in the Premier League.

b) If the EFL Cup winners finish in the top five of the Premier League (or top six if (a) happens), their UEL second qualifying round place will go to the next-highest ranked team not qualified for UEFA competitions in the Premier League.

EFL Cup - Final is in April between Spurs and Man City, so hopefully Man City will win it, or Spurs is also ok to win it if they finish top 5/6 (depending on scenario).

FA Cup - Various top 4/6 teams are still in the FA Cup, so hopefully one of them win the FA Cup.

If both happen, Top 7 in the PL would provide European places.

Even with top 7 places applying to European qualification, i think to achieve top 7 would be an absolute miracle for us, so unlikely that i dont even want to hope!

For Reference:

1) Villa's current Avg. PPG is : 1.7

2) Avg. PPG for 7th over the last 6 years is 1.6, 1.5, 1.4, 1.6, 1.6, 1.6.

3) Actual points required over last 6 years to finish 7th is, 59, 57, 54, 61, 62, 60.

However....this season is so strange, and the results so spread, i can imagine the points required to finish top 7 will be as high, or higher than any previous year (of the last 6), for example, all teams currently in the top 8 are averaging at least 1.6 avg. PPG, and all but one are avg. 1.7 PPG or higher.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, yayoboy said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54133192

"Carabao Cup: Uefa Europa Conference League place awaits winners

Last updated on15 September 202015 September 2020.From the sectionEuropean Football"

how strange....wonder what the justification is for an entirely different european competition???

Just now, MaVilla said:

how strange....wonder what the justification is for an entirely different european competition???

It was muted that it was to reduce the number of teams in the Europa League, but it's also a belief that it's to satisfy the European 'elite' clubs, by keeping the CL more exclusive.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

There really is no need for this new competition. At least make it knock out football. 

I have no idea what this new competition is or how you qualify. 

The Europa league was fine, it just needed to be less intense and more of a knockout vibe. 

• Like 2