Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

8 minutes ago, Wes said:

Repubblica in Italy reporting that Spurs have made a bid of 20m Euros for Damsgaard. Sampdoria want closer to 40m Euros.

Not considered a super reliable outlet but thought I'd mention it as his name has appeared a few times here.

Someone needs to coffer up the money for Damsgaard. 

Bit of a tangent this, but I’m wondering if failing to keep Jack has given our owners reason to rethink their approach? 

Up to now they clearly felt the academy was the way to go long term. As Deano said at the start of this window, they wanted to fine tune the team this summer, but nothing massive in transfer terms.

They may now have realised that every team outside the Manchester clubs, Chelsea and Liverpool gets cannibalised by that group on their way up, so breaking into it requires a sprint, not a marathon - Leicester’s flukey season aside. 

I still expect the academy to be a core part of the project, but does the FFP latitude from the Grealish sale mean we’re going to have a real push now, this summer, rather than nearly make Europe, get picked apart again next summer and be that ‘nearly’ team season after season? 

I don’t know, but if so we might still have 2 or 3 more big (for us) signings to come. 

Just now, Awol said:

Bit of a tangent this, but I’m wondering if failing to keep Jack has given our owners reason to rethink their approach? 

Up to now they clearly felt the academy was the way to go long term. As Deano said at the start of this window, they wanted to fine tune the team this summer, but nothing massive in transfer terms.

They may now have realised that every team outside the Manchester clubs, Chelsea and Liverpool gets cannibalised by that group on their way up, so breaking into it requires a sprint, not a marathon - Leicester’s flukey season aside. 

I still expect the academy to be a core part of the project, but does the FFP latitude from the Grealish sale mean we’re going to have a real push now, this summer, rather than nearly make Europe, get picked apart again next summer and be that ‘nearly’ team season after season? 

I don’t know, but if so we might still have 2 or 3 more big (for us) signings to come. 

That's exactly what I think we'll do. I fully expect them to reinvest that cash (if Ings fee wasn't part of it) and get in a couple of big profile, instant starter level players. They want Europe, and I think they want it this season, to stop this becoming a regular occurance.

2 minutes ago, Awol said:

We had 2 plans this summer. With Jack and without Jack 

With Jack was Beundia / Bailey. Without Jack is another wide left player (Cantwell?) and Ings 

4 minutes ago, Awol said:

Was thinking the same myself.

I don't think we'll go mental, the base philosophy will still apply, just with some tweaking and alteration.

I reckon this will have been a shot up the arm for them, and made them more determined.

3 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

We had 2 plans this summer. With Jack and without Jack 

With Jack was Beundia / Bailey. Without Jack is another wide left player (Cantwell?) and Ings 

This^ they had plans for both scenarios. Especially if it’s true that Grealish has wanted to go for the past few years they will have had multiple plans in place every summer.

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I reckon this will have been a shot up the arm for them, and made them more determined.

That’s the hope, a proper Hulk smash attitude. Nas particularly will be raging that the UAE mob got the better of him, but I can’t see Edens being best pleased either. 

15 minutes ago, Awol said:

Having 2 years in the prem and having more freedom in the FFP changes the strategy. The first summer back was really tought due to that and the fact we had to buy half a new team and were not really offering top pl wages. Thats why we came 17th.

4 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Having 2 years in the prem and having more freedom in the FFP changes the strategy. The first summer back was really tought due to that and the fact we had to buy half a new team and were not really offering top pl wages. Thats why we came 17th.

Yep, it's a complicated business, but it seems we've been right on the brink of what's acceptable for FFP every summer since NSWE came in. £100m of pure profit (and the wage budget allocation Jack leaving frees up) should allow us to take the shackles off more. Obviously we can't go out and sign a load of ludicrous players, but it should realistically allow us to bring in another 2 or 3 quality players whilst comfortably staying within the limits. Those players could make all the difference in a European push.

Edited by RichiBoi11

Martinez (Steer)

Cash (Guilbert)

Mings & Konsa (Hause)

Targett (Young)

Luiz (Nakamba)

McGinn /Sanson

Bailey (El Ghazi)

Buendia (Ramsey)

Traore (Ings?)

Watkins / Ings? (Wesley)

Is that basically our team how it currently stands if we ignore the youth players breaking through? 

4 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Hope our next signing is a top midfielder. Not too fussed about LW we have plenty of options going forward for the moment. I won't feel at ease until midfield is sorted. 

I'd hope we're targeting an attacking and holding player tbh, as it looks like Tuanzebe is virtually a done deal. A couple more top quality midfielders could really make the difference.