Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

I don't think people realise the statement made in signing Leon Bailey.

Don’t get me wrong I think Bailey is a brilliant signing, basically Sancho but for half the cash. 

When I mean statement I mean get someone that isn’t looking for a move as I believe Bailey was being touted for, someone who is a rising star, a future superstar that little old Aston Villa go and get and make people go wow, didn’t expect that. Wishful thinking on my part I know. 

-----------------------Ings-------------------
Cantwell---------------------------Bailey
--------------------Buendia-----------------
--------McGinn----------------JWP------

Watkins
Traore
Nakamba
Luiz

as options off the bench.
Decent?

21 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

-----------------------Ings-------------------
Cantwell---------------------------Bailey
--------------------Buendia-----------------
--------McGinn----------------JWP------

Watkins
Traore
Nakamba
Luiz

as options off the bench.
Decent?

You would choose cantwell to replace grealish?

....then play him over Watkins?

Edited by Nigel
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, burchy said:

Watkins first 11, Ings as support is how I would have it personally. Ings also gives us the option to rest Watkins now again.

Agreed, I don't see Smith not using Watkins as his first choice. But it's nice he's finally got some real and reliable competition. Plus Ings could come in when Watkins is suspended/injured/out of form, and we have the option of playing Watkins wide left. I certainly wouldn't start games that way, but it's an option during them to switch things up.

Edited by RichiBoi11

Just can’t see Ings joining to be on the bench as cover/rotation. I think it’s Ollie with Ings and Bailey either side, Buendia at 10. We’ve signed Ings for goals, we weren’t clinical enough last season even with Jack.

27 minutes ago, thabucks said:

What about Sanson ? 

I must admit I have my doubts about him.

But he is a very experienced player. He needs to hold that midfield together and help the new guys settle.

I would love a proper, dynamic central midfielder - that near-mythical 'prime Pogba' type player. Someone that can quarter-back our approach, but also with the ability to carry the ball forwards too. Maybe Dougie could be that guy?

1 minute ago, Troglodyte said:

Bailey's got a lot of talent but he's not at Sancho's level. 

In my original post I did put Sancho esque but stupid predictive text kept wanting to add Raphael or something stupid so deleted it.

I agree Bailey’s not there yet but Sancho played in a team with better possession stats than Leverkusen so he was going to get and see more of the ball. Despite this Bailey wasn’t a million miles off him.

Happy days we’ve got him and his crazy step dad. 

Apparently Betis are willing to let Guido Rodriquez go for as little as €10m this summer. He was €50m in January so no idea what changed.

There is someone who could help our defensive part of the midfield, been great for Betis whenever I've seen them and he's a full Argentina international so we have that connection. He played every game for them in the Copa.

Bit of a late bloomer who only moved to Europe last year but I think he's ace. Liverpool are linked but who cares, get agents Emi & Emi on the case. I did mention him in January as someone to look at but the price then was too high.

Edited by sne

so....

Which left field, out of the twilight zone, from a fever dream signing(s) are we gonna make today VT????

has plastic left yet?

Edited by MaVilla

I think the Ings signing makes the most sense if we're deciding to play with 2 up top from now on as our primary formation. Lets be honest, we don't really have any traditional attacking midfielders in our squad and whilst we've chased one in the past, the sudden signing of Ings may mean we've changed gears. People have been saying Buendia in that role but he hasn't really played a lot there.

El Ghazi and Buendia/Bayley on the left and Traore and Buendia/Bayley on the right means we've got enough in terms of wing options. If one of our strikers up top gets injured we can revert back to having only one striker and another player and an extra central/attacking midfielder rather easily. But the 2 up top formation is imo the best way to maximize the amount of quality we can have on the pitch at full strength.

I just don't think moving Watkins to the wing after his season up top is sensible at all yet dropping one of him or Ings from the starting lineup doesn't really make sense either. So the only other option is a change in formation.

Edited by Laughable Chimp