Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

It seems to me we are always linked with Wingers.....Ballers are great, but you can't have a team full of them.

We need some resillience in midfield, some tenacity and vision, someone who can stay on the ball, more than he loses it.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

Just now, alreadyexists said:

This I want , we spoke and speculated about this here on VT after the season ended, I wonder if the press are just looking at VillaTalk to create links 😂 anyhow the Buendia one came true so lets hope it’s the case with this one to

• Like 1

As it appears that our current policy of keeping negotiations quiet and behind closed doors then it is the right way to do business

I bet everyone involved at transfers etc at the Villa are laughing at all these rumours - perhaps they spread them deliberately to see how far the rumour goes !.....I would 🙂

Regards to all

Derek

15 minutes ago, est1874 said:

I'm worried how open we're leaving ourselves in a few key positions currently.

GK - we've let go 2 goalkeepers and brought in none. This is concerning. Imagine an injury to Emi - not worth thinking about. An injury to Jed, who is injury-prone, would also be problematic as we would have no established Cup Keeper to come in.

CB - this is a huge concern for me. We were already thin on the ground last season and we've sent Engels packing without a replacement. Notwithstanding the fact that Smith had no intention of playing him, it still means we're very short in this area. We arguably got very lucky with Mings and Konsa staying fit for 90% of games last season despite one or two small injuries. I don't think we should just assume this is the norm - other clubs had horrific injuries in that position which really affected their fortunes throughout the season. There is always the chance of something happening in pre-season which then leaves us desperate. IMO it's not good enough to aim for bargain options who can do a job as cover - we need to go with the mindset that a first-team CB option is required, and recruit accordingly. Hause is fine but not good enough. In a nightmare scenario where both Mings and Konsa are out, we are completely screwed.

LB - Targett was fantastic last season and deserves to be first-choice going into this season. However, we did all have concerns about him prior to his up-turn in form. There are no guarantees he will continue his great form, and as glad as I am to have Ashley back at our club, I would have major doubts about his ability to play LB at Premier League level. Apart from any concerns about his pace and stamina etc, the Premier League full-back position has arguably again evolved since he was doing a job there for United. It's the most high-energy role on the field now, and effectively you need to be very good at both ends of the field, not just one or the other.

I know all of the above takes a slightly pessimistic slant, but I believe that you have to when you've got a squad of our size trying to break into Europe. We simply have to cover all the bases. At the moment we seem to be focused on the #10 role and potentially striker cover or #6/CDM but realistically all of the above are just as important.

Unpopular opinion, I know, but Lange needs to get a move on.

Agree your concerns - but there is loads of time left in the window - the windows shuts on Aug 31.

Plus we are seeking players much higher up the market now - these players tend to be harder to shift, with agents hanging out for the best deal. 

Contrast the above with the first season we got promoted via the play offs - we had crash landed in the prem, looking back its amazing how ill prepared we were. So we grabbed readily available players as they were better than what we had - amazingly they proved just good enough to keep us in the division by a whisker. 2021/22 we are looking at much higher calibre players.

My one concern is that we don't get carried away with our academy kids - fine prospects and exciting they are, history tells us the vast majority won't be able to cut it at prem level.

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

Interesting… how would we line up with Bailey in the side? Jack at CAM?

Or Buendia.

Bailey will not play through the middle I'd imagine as he is very much about pace. Would love this signing (as long as it's not a replacement for Jack) as we lack pace and directness and Bailey would add this in abundance.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

It seems to me we are always linked with Wingers.....Ballers are great, but you can't have a team full of them.

We need some resillience in midfield, some tenacity and vision, someone who can stay on the ball, more than he loses it.

100%.

If we’ve seen all our business this window (and I don’t think we have by any means), I would be concerned.

We’ll have a bunch of hyper talented passengers up front, but won’t be able to win the ball or get it to them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, delboy54 said:

As it appears that our current policy of keeping negotiations quiet and behind closed doors then it is the right way to do business

I bet everyone involved at transfers etc at the Villa are laughing at all these rumours - perhaps they spread them deliberately to see how far the rumour goes !.....I would 🙂

Regards to all

Derek

we are just about linked with everyone on " Aston Villa news now "

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Interesting… how would we line up with Bailey in the side? Jack at CAM?

Jack to 10 and rotating wingers is a salivating prospect with Ollie leading the charge and press