Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

In Jack we have a player that we wouldn't be able to buy - irrespective of how much money we have. Therefore, there's no better opportunity to build a European-chasing team for the upcoming season.

We have genuine quality in goal, in defence and in our forwards (hopefully with Bailey added to the mix). I think we're lacking similar qualities in the centre of the park, but I also think we'll address that too. 

Exciting stuff, and hopefully Wes is in the mood to taste some success with both his teams.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Can't see it happening myself anyway. Norwich have just been promoted, are they really going to sell both Buendia and Cantwell to the same club in the same window? Definitely baity nonsense

yeah they are the kings of transfer nonsense, i quite like Cantwell but it would be odd for Norwich to flog him and Buendia

17 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Can't see it happening myself anyway. Norwich have just been promoted, are they really going to sell both Buendia and Cantwell to the same club in the same window? Definitely baity nonsense

cantwell does sound like he's going somewhere though. 1 year left of contract and sounds like he's not signing a new one

If Bettinelli and Bailey come in, by my maths we will be left with up-to 3 spaces left to register for players over the age of 21. The limit is 25.

1. Martinez
  2. Steer
  3. Bettinelli (rumoured)
  4. Cash
  5. Konsa
  6. Mings
  7. Targett
  8. Guilbert
  9. Hause
  10. Young
  11. McGinn
  12. Douglas Luiz
  13. Sanson
  14. Nakamba
  15. Grealish
  16. Buendia
  17. Bailey (rumoured)
  18. Traore
  19. El Ghazi
  20. Trezeguet (even injured, would likely still be registered)
  21. Watkins
  22. Wesley

I'm assuming Hourihane is on his way out and Davis goes on loan.

Julian Alvarez would be classified as an under-21 due to being born in late January player so wouldn't count towards the 25.

I think one of those three remaining spots (and we don't have to fill up all of them of course) will be on a fourth Centre Back as we lack cover there since Engels departure earlier this window.

Also if we are getting another central midfielder, and it's not Pape Sarr, keep an eye on Getafe's Arambarri. More news today his agent is trying to get him a move to the Premier League.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Jack would have to play CAM if Bailey is LW, therefore Buendia RW.

Unless Bailey is better or just as good on the right?

Oooh.. decisions decisions 🤣

He is. But Buendia is just as good on the left and in most of the training stuff he seems to be playing there as well. 

4 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Jack will not play on the right, will be less effective. LW or CAM.

Either Buendia plays on the right (his usual position) or Bailey will…

Buendia can thrive as a CAM too…

Or as a LW. 

5 minutes ago, hippo said:

I wonder if there will be a surprise departure ? - not Jack - but I wonder if someone we thought was here for the long haul makes a surprise exit. 

2 years left on El Ghazi’s contract, 1 year left on Cantwell’s.  Seems sensible to sell El Ghazi and bring in Cantwell, I’d expect that exchange to be relatively cost neutral, in terms of fee, given the contract situations, although we’d have to pay Cantwell more than El Ghazi.

The Bailey news also included a comment that we were looking to off-load El Ghazi.

1 minute ago, Villaphil said:

2 years left on El Ghazi’s contract, 1 year left on Cantwell’s.  Seems sensible to sell El Ghazi and bring in Cantwell, I’d expect that exchange to be relatively cost neutral, in terms of fee, given the contract situations, although we’d have to pay Cantwell more than El Ghazi.

The Bailey news also included a comment that we were looking to off-load El Ghazi.

In the nicest possible way - El-Ghazi 's stats make him look a better than he is (IMO) - his stats would also means he would command a hefty fee. Then again goals win matches ! 

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

In the nicest possible way - El-Ghazi 's stats make him look a better than he is (IMO) - his stats would also means he would command a hefty fee. Then again goals win matches ! 

With Trez out for a large chunk of the season, even with the addition of Bailey I think AEG stays, unless we really trust some of the kids to come through fairly quickly or we make another wide forward addition. You’re right though, now could be the optimism to sell him. 

2 hours ago, StanBalaban said:

In Jack we have a player that we wouldn't be able to buy - irrespective of how much money we have. Therefore, there's no better opportunity to build a European-chasing team for the upcoming season.

We have genuine quality in goal, in defence and in our forwards (hopefully with Bailey added to the mix). I think we're lacking similar qualities in the centre of the park, but I also think we'll address that too. 

Exciting stuff, and hopefully Wes is in the mood to taste some success with both his teams.

I agree and i think we need to get rid of one Wes and bring in Alvarez, get rid of sanson too

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

With Trez out for a large chunk of the season, even with the addition of Bailey I think AEG stays, unless we really trust some of the kids to come through fairly quickly or we make another wide forward addition. You’re right though, now could be the optimism to sell him. 

Trez will not play for us again.. those inconsistent players will be now a thing of the past 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, hippo said:

I wonder if there will be a surprise departure ? - not Jack - but I wonder if someone we thought was here for the long haul makes a surprise exit. 

Prime candidate would appear to be El Ghazi.

I don’t really want him to leave, we need squad depth after all.

But his stock and value is unlikely to get any higher (a shame he didn’t get to play in the Euros) while he’s with us so we could bring in a good fee to help boost the coffers…

I don’t think we need to sell anyone really…

Maybe Nakamba if we bring in a new, top class DM. We need him right now though and hopefully he shows further improvement.

Davis if he’s not going out on loan.

Hourihane, don’t think we’d get much of a fee. Apparently Sheff Utd are interested, part ex for Berge?

The squad has been well condensed and we don’t really have any passengers. A CB and probably another GK are required.

Other than that, we only need to add genuine quality or enhancements going forwards…

• Like 1