Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

Just now, VillaFaninLondon said:

If that's it then we're in trouble. I really can't see the club being that stupid but who knows.............

This is ridiculous negativity. We improved last season on the previous, made great additions who have a season under their belt with the team and Buendia and Young are excellent signings

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

This is ridiculous negativity. We improved last season on the previous, made great additions who have a season under their belt with the team and Buendia and Young are excellent signings

So you'd be happy with just those 2 signings and no more?

4 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

If we improved again then yes I think so... 

And then next summer we sign 2 more and improve again

As much as we want everything now, 6 players for £200m and a jump in to the EL next season, this is going to be a long term thing, will take ages to crack it, I personally think chuk and Barry will be first team regulars when we challenge for 4th so I'm talking 3 to 4 years away still

Edit - with that in mind I still think we could explore the loan market in mid August, get some bodies in that long term will be overtaken by our youngsters 

Edited by villa4europe

3 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I would like a couple more cover signings at worst. I'm not going to have a strop about it now. Didn't MON finish 17th and 14th before 3x 6th and several of our players are much better than that squad. Martinez Targett Cash Konsa Watkins 

It's not 'ridiculous negativity' to ask why we're being slow to get deals done. We all want the club to succeed, to succeed they will need to strengthen the team further than they have done already. We have a long term injury (Trez), a first team player off at the Olympics who won't be up to speed for several weeks after the season starts, 3 first team players who got to a final who will be struggling to be fit and firing for the first game of the season too. Several squad players have left the club as their contracts have ended.

Clubs don't progress that stand still. You always have to be looking to strengthen and improve, Smith has said this himself. We've improved our first team with Buendia but that's it. Last season when Jack was out our form was very poor which was proof we needed more quality this summer. So far we haven't done enough to address that lack of quality in midfield and the final third. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

It's not 'ridiculous negativity' to ask why we're being slow to get deals done. We all want the club to succeed, to succeed they will need to strengthen the team further than they have done already. We have a long term injury (Trez), a first team player off at the Olympics who won't be up to speed for several weeks after the season starts, 3 first team players who got to a final who will be struggling to be fit and firing for the first game of the season too. Several squad players have left the club as their contracts have ended.

Clubs don't progress that stand still. You always have to be looking to strengthen and improve, Smith has said this himself. We've improved our first team with Buendia but that's it. Last season when Jack was out our form was very poor which was proof we needed more quality this summer. So far we haven't done enough to address that lack of quality in midfield and the final third. 

I think it was the "we are in trouble" comment that comes across as negative. Clearly we still have a good squad with some great talent. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I would like a couple more cover signings at worst. I'm not going to have a strop about it now. Didn't MON finish 17th and 14th before 3x 6th and several of our players are much better than that squad. Martinez Targett Cash Konsa Watkins 

We finished 11th and then 3x6th and then Signed the bringer of the apocalypse himself, Stephen Ireland. The rest is history up to the point where it's the present and at that point the rest is the future

4 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

No he finished 11th before three 6th placed finishes. But MON was overrated and not exactly smart in the transfer window. I like our team but there are weaknesses in it and I feel we should be addressing them. That's what all successful teams do. 

1-2 cover players + 1-2 first team players. That will be a reasonable expectation, especially with clubs who finished above us starting to drive up their business now. 

5 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Also I think Young is going to get utilised a lot and to be fair to him, he looks in fabulous condition and still hungry to do well. I’m excited to see how he gets on.

We sit pretty low in the pecking order of the transfer system. It is highly likely any targets we have as first choice either have other options that are being looked at first before us, or that otter transfers need to fall into place before we can get who we want. 

Buendia was easy in that Norwich would sell for a value, we met it. Done. The rest, not so simple. 

Have some freaking patience people!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Pissflaps said:

We sit pretty low in the pecking order of the transfer system. It is highly likely any targets we have as first choice either have other options that are being looked at first before us, or that otter transfers need to fall into place before we can get who we want. 

Buendia was easy in that Norwich would sell for a value, we met it. Done. The rest, not so simple. 

Have some freaking patience people!

Someone's trying to start a new trend, I see.

4 minutes ago, dappadan said:

I think it was the "we are in trouble" comment that comes across as negative. Clearly we still have a good squad with some great talent. 

Fair point, I can use over the top language. 

I didn't mean we'd be in trouble as in fighting relegation, but in trouble as in potentially standing still. And you can't do that in football. 

We've clearly got good players and a good team, but just adding Buendia isn't improving the team enough to make great progress again next season. We'll be in and around where we finished last season. 

I think we will sign a goalkeeper, defender, a DM a ACM, and potentially another forward, so that's five players and wouldn't be surprised to see us sign a few youngsters with potential like Caleb Chukwuemeka, Iroegbunam and so on, then maybe one or two more for the U18s, Thierry Small linked if not him perhaps another left back, and we're kind of short on strikers at academy level as well, especially if Young goes out on loan and Barry becomes more involved with the first team.

• Like 1

It’s very possible that the staff have seen the shape Chuk and Barry, perhaps Bradley Young too have come back in after the summer and have readjusted the transfer plans a bit.

I’m okay with that, they’re all talented young players and if Smith and the rest of the brain trust think they’re ready to play a part in the first team then I’m all for it.

All fans love to see players coming through from the academy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Also I think Young is going to get utilised a lot and to be fair to him, he looks in fabulous condition and still hungry to do well. I’m excited to see how he gets on.

Young still looks decent and clearly is having played a big part for Inter last season. But at 36 and with his best days for us behind him (when he was fantastic), I don't think he's going to suddenly turn us into a top team. very good squad signing though.

• Like 1