Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

6 minutes ago, useless said:

I think we will sign a goalkeeper, defender, a DM a ACM, and potentially another forward, so that's five players and wouldn't be surprised to see us sign a few youngsters with potential like Caleb Chukwuemeka, Iroegbunam and so on, then maybe one or two more for the U18s, Thierry Small linked if not him perhaps another left back, and we're kind of short on strikers at academy level as well, especially if Young goes out on loan and Barry becomes more involved with the first team.

🙌 And will probably be a bunch of players that haven't or have hardly been linked with us thus far.

21 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

If we improved again then yes I think so... 

And then next summer we sign 2 more and improve again

As much as we want everything now, 6 players for £200m and a jump in to the EL next season, this is going to be a long term thing, will take ages to crack it, I personally think chuk and Barry will be first team regulars when we challenge for 4th so I'm talking 3 to 4 years away still

Edit - with that in mind I still think we could explore the loan market in mid August, get some bodies in that long term will be overtaken by our youngsters 

Not expecting 6 players for £200m but we should be looking to spend more than we have especially when prices are currently very good in Europe with the pandemic etc. Kamara from Marseille for £15m (for example) is excellent value. Leicester have already taken advantage signing Soumare and Daka at very good prices too. Given we've brought in Lange and MacKenzie to look at talented players overseas, we just keep having the same uninspiring names crop up - Winks, Hughes, and to a lesser extent Tammy, McNeil, JWP (all good players but overpriced). 

I'm just a little disappointed but of course by pointing that out I get criticism. Always the way.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Not expecting 6 players for £200m but we should be looking to spend more than we have especially when prices are currently very good in Europe with the pandemic etc. Kamara from Marseille for £15m (for example) is excellent value. Leicester have already taken advantage signing Soumare and Daka at very good prices too. Given we've brought in Lange and MacKenzie to look at talented players overseas, we just keep having the same uninspiring names crop up - Winks, Hughes, and to a lesser extent Tammy, McNeil, JWP (all good players but overpriced). 

I'm just a little disappointed but of course by pointing that out I get criticism. Always the way.

How many players have Leicester signed out of interest? 

2 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

So because we haven’t made more than two signings with six weeks left in the window you’re assuming we won’t sign anymore and so you’re disappointed? 

2 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

How many players have Leicester signed out of interest? 

Three I believe - Daka, Soumare and Bertrand. But Kabak looks like he's going there which will be four (another player we should have been looking at).

Leicester have less work to do than us though. They missed out on CL but only just and didn't fall apart when a key player (Barnes) got injured unlike us when Jack was out. Plus didn't have four players involved in a final for their national teams either. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

So because we haven’t made more than two signings with six weeks left in the window you’re assuming we won’t sign anymore and so you’re disappointed? 

I'm not assuming anything, do you like putting words in people's mouths. I'm disappointed that so far we haven't addressed the shortcomings in our team enough. Of course that could all change and I hope it will.

Maybe you should question the people saying they'd be happy with going into the season with what we've got. Based on that they're assuming we won't sign anyone else either. 

We should make a move for Kamada…

and, yes, again, Kamara.

Woah, those names are eerily similar… 👀🤣

I really hope we’re not frightened to sign players from abroad as there is some serious talent and excellent value to be had…

I don’t see the need for concern or negativity, there hasn’t been much activity at any club so far and things are going to heat up soon…

It’s the same story every window, fans and clubs hope that they can compete deals early but there are so many factors to take into account and delays, it’s not often the case and most usually go down to the wire or are completed on deadline day… selling clubs need to line up replacements too…

There is still time… I’m sure we will see more signings and I’m not worried, not at this point…

Edited by Jas10
  • Haha 1

Just now, Jas10 said:

We should make move for Kamada…

and, yes, again, Kamara.

Woah, those names are eerily similar… 👀🤣

I really hope we’re not frightened to sign players from abroad as there is some serious talent and excellent value to be had…

I don’t see the need for concern or negativity, there hasn’t been much activity at any club so far and things are going to heat up soon…

It’s the same story every window, fans and clubs hope that they can compete deals early but there are so many factors to take into account, it’s not often the case and most usually go down to the wire or are completed on deadline day… selling clubs need to line up replacements too…

There is still time… I’m sure we will see more signings and I’m not worries, not at this point…

If we got those two it would be our best window in 30 years 

6 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

We sit pretty low in the pecking order of the transfer system. It is highly likely any targets we have as first choice either have other options that are being looked at first before us, or that otter transfers need to fall into place before we can get who we want. 

Buendia was easy in that Norwich would sell for a value, we met it. Done. The rest, not so simple. 

Have some freaking patience people!

Exactly. The likes of Hughes and the Dutch fella at Bournemouth seem like plan C type targets, if real at all.

We’ve probably (almost certaibly) made enquiries about a whole raft of potential options from plan A to plan C, which will involve agents. Those agents will know their clients are not first picks but can use the link with Villa to raise their profiles and potentially engineer other moves. 

As others have said, aside from ESR and maybe JWP, it’s quite possible our plan A targets are players we’ve had no public links to at all. 

13 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

we just keep having the same uninspiring names crop up - Winks, Hughes, and to a lesser extent Tammy, McNeil, JWP (all good players but overpriced). 

I don't think we're interested in any of those. I think all are invented click bait rumours 

9 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I don't think we're interested in any of those. I think all are invented click bait rumours 

Guess we'll find out if/when we sign an absolute worldie from Europe that we haven't been linked with yet.

• Like 1

Will Hughes would surprise people I think, he's a very tidy player. Certainly more consistent than Luiz and McGinn IMO.

I think the problem with a player like that is he's of a similar level to what we have. Not a step up at all really.

Would I rather have Kamada? Yes. Kamara? Definitely. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

I say would Angel Gomes be a good alternative to Smith Rowe, seems to be of a similar profile, young attacking midfielder, presumably looking to get into the England team something that Smith has said we can use to attract players to us. Although not sure if it would be easy to get from Lille.

23 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

They missed out on CL but only just and didn't fall apart when a key player (Barnes) got injured unlike us when Jack was out

I have no beef in this discussion and agree Leicester are a few years ahead of us but I don’t think you can quite compare Barnes, who wasn’t a regular starter before this season and was still far from a certain name on the teamsheet any week despite his talent (and I personally think he’s class), with Jack Grealish who has been our unquestioned star player for multiple seasons.

But yeah agree Leicester are the model we need to aspire to, weird as that still sounds to say.

7 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I'm not assuming anything, do you like putting words in people's mouths. I'm disappointed that so far we haven't addressed the shortcomings in our team enough. Of course that could all change and I hope it will.

Maybe you should question the people saying they'd be happy with going into the season with what we've got. Based on that they're assuming we won't sign anyone else either. 

You said you were disappointed. I’m not sure  why you expect all our business to be concluded when the window has weeks left to run? I’d be a bit disappointed if we didn’t make more signings and would agree that there are areas in the squad that needs improvement. 

However signings  take time, we’re asking humans to make decisions that impact on their professional careers as well as their lives and the lives of their families. Some we maybe asking to move thousands of miles from a different country or even continent. There are probably wives and/or children to consider and of course parents. These are young men, would you not expect to have a chat with your Mom and Dad before you make such a huge decision or expect your kids to want to talk to you? 

I’m not knocking your aspirations for the team and of course I’m sure the club would love everything to be in place as quickly as possible. But for the reasons I’ve mentioned and I’m sure many more, I haven’t even mentioned agents and lawyers, it takes time. I’m sure the club, in it’s present form, are doing everything they can to get the squad together as soon as possible. Frustrating though the process may be at times for them and us. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

I have no beef in this discussion and agree Leicester are a few years ahead of us but I don’t think you can quite compare Barnes, who wasn’t a regular starter before this season and was still far from a certain name on the teamsheet any week despite his talent (and I personally think he’s class), with Jack Grealish who has been our unquestioned star player for multiple seasons.

But yeah agree Leicester are the model we need to aspire to, weird as that still sounds to say.

Don't think that's quite right, he wasn't a regular the season before last but still played quite a lot, last season he started pretty much every game for them and when he got injured he was their star player and was brilliant when they played us at VP. Not in Jack's league though I agree. 

I think we just need to scout like Leicester do. They found Soyuncu, Fofana and Ndidi through excellent scouting (and Mahrez and Kante before that). Then signed more well known players like Pereira, Tielemans and Castagne by having ambition and pull from their owners to bring them in.

I don't doubt our owners ambition and desire but the links so far are boring and uninspiring. I'm hoping we have some exciting things going on behind the scenes (Alvarez was an exciting one but seems to have gone quiet).

7 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

You said you were disappointed. I’m not sure  why you expect all our business to be concluded when the window has weeks left to run? I’d be a bit disappointed if we didn’t make more signings and would agree that there are areas in the squad that needs improvement. 

However signings  take time, we’re asking humans to make decisions that impact on their professional careers as well as their lives and the lives of their families. Some we maybe asking to move thousands of miles from a different country or even continent. There are probably wives and/or children to consider and of course parents. These are young men, would you not expect to have a chat with your Mom and Dad before you make such a huge decision or expect your kids to want to talk to you? 

I’m not knocking your aspirations for the team and of course I’m sure the club would love everything to be in place as quickly as possible. But for the reasons I’ve mentioned and I’m sure many more, I haven’t even mentioned agents and lawyers, it takes time. I’m sure the club, in it’s present form, are doing everything they can to get the squad together as soon as possible. Frustrating though the process may be at times for them and us. 

I guess it's the lack of anything coming out that is concerning currently. I know we like to do things quietly but nothing seems close on in motion at the moment. 

I understand signings can take time (note the word 'can' - I also think some signings can be done very quickly - e.g. Buendia) but as I said it's lack of anything coming through that is disappointing me currently. That could just me being paranoid though and there could be things going on in the background, I don't know.

I think I've probably overreacted a bit and we need to give it 3 more weeks. If we don't have another potential first teamer in by the Watford game then I think we'd be right to be concerned - particularly as we're a club that rarely makes signings late in the window under Smith. 

• Like 1