Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

31 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Will Hughes would surprise people I think, he's a very tidy player. Certainly more consistent than Luiz and McGinn IMO.

I think the problem with a player like that is he's of a similar level to what we have. Not a step up at all really.

Would I rather have Kamada? Yes. Kamara? Definitely. 

Kamada and Kamara both play in positions we require better quality (attacking mid and defensive mid), both young and are probably both players that are attainable for us. Yes to both.

Hughes would be behind McGinn, Luiz and Sanson and rightly so. We need to be looking for upgrades on those players not downgrades. It would be a huge mistake which is why I really don't think there's any truth in it at all. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

What if our coaching staff rate some of our youth players a lot higher than some internet forum posters?

Also the possibility that the coaching staff don’t rate enough or think some of our youth players are far from ready compared to some Internet forum posters.  Smith was constantly being bashed in the second half of the season for not playing some of the youngsters more often but obviously Smith and his coaching staff didn’t think it was the right move.  Interesting to see what happens in the new season and in terms of purchasing players.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I guess it's the lack of anything coming out that is concerning currently. I know we like to do things quietly but nothing seems close on in motion at the moment. 

I understand signings can take time (note the word 'can' - I also think some signings can be done very quickly - e.g. Buendia) but as I said it's lack of anything coming through that is disappointing me currently. That could just me being paranoid though and there could be things going on in the background, I don't know.

I think I've probably overreacted a bit and we need to give it 3 more weeks. If we don't have another potential first teamer in by the Watford game then I think we'd be right to be concerned - particularly as we're a club that rarely makes signings late in the window under Smith. 

spacer.png

13 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I guess it's the lack of anything coming out that is concerning currently. I know we like to do things quietly but nothing seems close on in motion at the moment. 

I understand signings can take time (note the word 'can' - I also think some signings can be done very quickly - e.g. Buendia) but as I said it's lack of anything coming through that is disappointing me currently. That could just me being paranoid though and there could be things going on in the background, I don't know.

I think I've probably overreacted a bit and we need to give it 3 more weeks. If we don't have another potential first teamer in by the Watford game then I think we'd be right to be concerned - particularly as we're a club that rarely makes signings late in the window under Smith. 

We’re such a tight ship as far as letting anything slip out publicly these days.  Whilst that’s frustrating for us lot, and the press too, it’s the right thing to do in general. 

The fact that Emi Buendia only has about 139 pages because we got his signing done so quickly and yet ESR has 121 pages and we probably won’t sign him, is a fair indication of how these things develop and how little any of us actually know. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

What if our coaching staff rate some of our youth players a lot higher than some internet forum posters?

What is this voodoo you speak of … 

You know who i'd bring in for the CB slot we need?, Gary Cahill.

I think a 1 year contract would make good sense.

He would be great to help with the youngsters, he's been there and seen it all, he might even help Mings & Konsa with some stuff (a bit like Terry has).

Obviously, i would like this idea on the contingency that a) we can afford his wages without hindering other plans, and b) he is happy that he would basically be 4th choice behind Mings, Konsa & Hause (or at least 3rd).

We have Terry on the coaching staff who is a winner, been there and done it, we now have Young who is kinda similar, Cahill would be another good addition in that vain imo, but more as backup with a view to his leadership and development assistance being the largest part of it.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Don't think that's quite right, he wasn't a regular the season before last but still played quite a lot, last season he started pretty much every game for them and when he got injured he was their star player and was brilliant when they played us at VP. Not in Jack's league though I agree. 

I think we just need to scout like Leicester do. They found Soyuncu, Fofana and Ndidi through excellent scouting (and Mahrez and Kante before that). Then signed more well known players like Pereira, Tielemans and Castagne by having ambition and pull from their owners to bring them in.

I don't doubt our owners ambition and desire but the links so far are boring and uninspiring. I'm hoping we have some exciting things going on behind the scenes (Alvarez was an exciting one but seems to have gone quiet).

I think we have scouted very well recently. Watkins, Traore, Cash, Targett, Konsa, Mings, Martinez, Mcginn, Luiz all better players with arguably a higher value for most if not all of them than what we paid. We have built a whole new team in recent times and done it extremely well in my view. 

We have now added Buendia and Ash Young to that so far and I don't doubt a couple more will come through the door. But overall I would be happy if we just continue our own path and scouting the way we have been. The way we seem to be scouting at youth level for example could well pay dividends with a little patience.

Of course we would all like players in early and it gets frustrating at times but to single out our scouting policy and change it I think would be detrimental to our journey. As ultimately thats what it is. 

Looking through Leicesters transfers recently they have definitely had a fair few that have bombed aswell. Which is the case in every club in England. Although Leicester probably one of the better ones. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Wes said:

Looks like a podcaster saying what's already been said

1 hour ago, the_eristic said:

Wonder if we're eyeballing Julian Brandt should ESR not work out, looking more and more likely he'll be moving this window for a very attractive price.

Only 3 goals and 2 assists last season? Poor for an attacking player… at 25 not a young prospect either…

I’d much prefer Kamada or De Arrascaeta…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Not expecting 6 players for £200m but we should be looking to spend more than we have especially when prices are currently very good in Europe with the pandemic etc. Kamara from Marseille for £15m (for example) is excellent value. Leicester have already taken advantage signing Soumare and Daka at very good prices too. Given we've brought in Lange and MacKenzie to look at talented players overseas, we just keep having the same uninspiring names crop up - Winks, Hughes, and to a lesser extent Tammy, McNeil, JWP (all good players but overpriced). 

I'm just a little disappointed but of course by pointing that out I get criticism. Always the way.

Lol I don’t think you can blame the club for who Joe Blow’s ITK publication has linked us to.

Not like we’ve signed them, relax.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, the_eristic said:

Wonder if we're eyeballing Julian Brandt should ESR not work out, looking more and more likely he'll be moving this window for a very attractive price.

For a reason, he disappears too often in games. Ability is there but doesn't seem to want it to progress. No for me

Edited by Zatman

8 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

8 hours ago, nick76 said:

Also the possibility that the coaching staff don’t rate enough or think some of our youth players are far from ready compared to some Internet forum posters.  Smith was constantly being bashed in the second half of the season for not playing some of the youngsters more often but obviously Smith and his coaching staff didn’t think it was the right move.  Interesting to see what happens in the new season and in terms of purchasing players.

And bashed for playing the youngster that he did play... 

• Like 1

at the very least i think its a reasonable explanation as to why things have slowed down in terms of transfers, we've put everyone together for pre season training and we're looking at what we've got already first, who's close to ready, give them a couple of friendlies too, then make the final assessment and jump back in to the transfers

they know better than us, thats the reality, those who say we cant go in to the season just with ollie, wes, keinan, barry and young, lets wait and see what the staff who spend the next 4 weeks watching them every day think about that, young might surprise everyone and blitz pre season...i know from his insta barry spent the summer with a PT trying to get in better shape for the PL, there might be some surprises 

• Like 1