Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

I'm going to repeat myself here but it's because every time I watch them and us I think it makes more sense. 

Ivan Toney and Phil Billing would be no risk signings for us. 

If they work, they'll take us to the next level. If they don't there will always be a market for them. 

Worst case scenario lose 10m

Best case scenario we have signings to rival Ollie and Cash. 

Of course it will depend on which club wins the playoffs. 

I've been attacked in here before for wanting Cantwell. 

We would have only got him if they were not promoted. Same for these 2. One of them will be getable 

• Haha 1

Guest av1

It’s difficult with Ollie because the kid is fantastic, obviously an incredible fit lad but I just don’t see how someone that works so hard is going to be able to start week in week out over the long term. 

I don’t want to get into a KD argument in this thread, but I’m not a huge fan and I suspect Smith feels the same. On the other hand I am a fan of Wesley but we don’t know how that injury is going to effect his game. 

All things considered I think we need a striker. 

6 hours ago, messi11 said:

we dont need tammy., its not an area we need to improve right now. Spend money on wingers and midfield

Any long term injury to Mings or Konsa and how much would we need a good CB then? We’ve been lucky in that regard this season. 

7 hours ago, messi11 said:

we dont need tammy., its not an area we need to improve right now. Spend money on wingers and midfield

Watkins has done great on his own this season. His fitness levels are outstanding. With Wesley back now too, we can loan Davis to Championship until January or keep him as an impact sub. We also have a certain Louie Barry who turns 18 in June who will surely be in amongst the first team next season. Signing Tammy for all we fans would love to have him back only makes sense in a system change with Tammy and Watkins which means changing how Watkins plays and our whole system. 

We need to spend big on 2 positions. 1. Big strong defensive midfielder. Sander Berge style player. 2. Wide right forward to push Traore to the bench. That has to be the focus of the window

We need a Left back that can actually push Targett. Probably need to replace Heaton. Engles too most likely as he needs to play some football and get a player in to push Konsa/Mings. I too would like Olise a young talented versatile player to give us something different in creative midfield position. But with Chukwuemeka surely being promoted to first team we may be best served going with a midfield of Carney, JJ, Luiz, McGinn, Sanson, Nakamba, + Berge type player.

8 hours ago, messi11 said:

I think we need Tammy we also need a better winger and 2 midfielders although not Phillip billing as someone suggested. Add into that axel from united for £7 million that would make a decent start to getting depth in the squad. 

bear in mind with Ollie he could get injured burn out or lose form. If that happens we would be down to Davies and Wesley, neither of which are good enough to carry the burden of running the front line. 

• Like 1

We have to buy players that will relegate current strongest 11 starters to the bench. We have plenty of adequate back up dancers already. Signing back up is a sure sign of mediocrity.

• Like 2

I think Tammy is massively underrated. An interchanging forward line of jack, Tammy and ollie, with Anwar and Wes as back ups subs etc would be immense.

I think we are all fixed on a type of winger because of Morley Walters Daley etc I think we ll go for a more fluid forward line.

Well Mo Salah plays right forward, but he is left footed and that's what you need to get goals from that side. Watkins, Jack and Tammy all right footed so not the front three that we want. Only a formation change makes this work, a move to a diamond in midfield and with Jack at the top 

Cannot believe that we're approaching a transfer window where the expectation is that we'll be targeting a calibre of player that will enable is to potentially make a more realistic push for Europe and yet Phillip Billing is a name that still appears. Getting to the point where he'll have to join Rashica, Januzaj etc in hypothetical signing folklore based on pure suggestion alone.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Watkins is key to how we want to play. I just can't see Tammy leaving Chelsea to rotate or back up Watkins here. He's got West Ham written all over him.

West Ham or Leicester 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Well Mo Salah plays right forward, but he is left footed and that's what you need to get goals from that side. Watkins, Jack and Tammy all right footed so not the front three that we want. Only a formation change makes this work, a move to a diamond in midfield and with Jack at the top 

Yeah I think Smith would like us to play with a right footed LW and a left footed RW who cuts inside and then have the RB and LB to overlap and be the one who puts in the cross rather than to play with traditional wingers.

Think this is how we'll line up next season too.

• Like 1

No specific positions to improve on but I read a comment vyesterday that teams like Man City won't accept 6 out of 10 performances because the players know there's someone who can be brought in if your not performing.   Seems to me there are too many positions where that competition doesn't exist so the players don't have that in their minds when they step out onto the pitch.  

• Like 3

Desperately need a LW. As much as I like El ghazi he shouldn't be more than a bench option for us and frankly it is an indictment of the summer recruitment that we didn't address this glaring need.

That plus the fact Jack is clearly better in the centre cements that as key.

Aside from that we desperately need another DM/CM signing. Mcginn just isn't consistently good enough although he had his best game of the season yesterday. We haven't seen much from Sanson and although he looks good he doesn't solve how lightweight our midfield is.

Those should be our big signings. 

We then need a Depth ST, a new bench RW, depth for the full back positions and a new cb. 

All in all I'm of the opinion we need 7 signings although only 2 of them will be consistently in the first team. The rest are cover which should allow us to better compete next season despite injuries. The fact that we had to play Elmo rb for multiple games is a disgrace. 

We should just buy quality now and forget quantity. We have kids capable of coming into the team on the odd occasion they might be needed. How else are they going to get experience?

Three top signings only. Neto, Bissouma and McNeil or three suitable equivalents. Add our back 5, Luiz, Jack and Ollie to that and we would have some team. We would also have plenty in reserve with the likes of Heaton, Guilbert, Hause, McGinn, Ramsey, Sanson, Berty, Wes, AEG and Davis. Plus youngsters Carney, Louie, etc.

• Like 1