Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

46 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Desperately need a LW. As much as I like El ghazi he shouldn't be more than a bench option for us and frankly it is an indictment of the summer recruitment that we didn't address this glaring need.

That plus the fact Jack is clearly better in the centre cements that as key.

Aside from that we desperately need another DM/CM signing. Mcginn just isn't consistently good enough although he had his best game of the season yesterday. We haven't seen much from Sanson and although he looks good he doesn't solve how lightweight our midfield is.

Those should be our big signings. 

We then need a Depth ST, a new bench RW, depth for the full back positions and a new cb. 

All in all I'm of the opinion we need 7 signings although only 2 of them will be consistently in the first team. The rest are cover which should allow us to better compete next season despite injuries. The fact that we had to play Elmo rb for multiple games is a disgrace. 

Are you for real?

Just now, M_Afro said:

We should just buy quality now and forget quantity. We have kids capable of coming into the team on the odd occasion they might be needed. How else are they going to get experience?

Three top signings only. Neto, Bissouma and McNeil or three suitable equivalents. Add our back 5, Luiz, Jack and Ollie to that and we would have some team. We would also have plenty in reserve with the likes of Heaton, Guilbert, Hause, McGinn, Ramsey, Sanson, Berty, Wes, AEG and Davis. Plus youngsters Carney, Louie, etc.

That's shit depth and you know it. Neto and Mcneil are less productive than AEG or Traore. There's no reason to spunk 40 mil on them. Bissouma is great though would love him. 

We need 2 big signings that are worth 80 mil to improve the first team quality but after that the key is depth. This season our first 11 can beat anyone but our depth is so poor if our players get tired we don't have a valid way to change up the game that will make us more likely to score a goal. We need an attacking player on par with grealish someone like Oyarzabal would be massive and would make us a dark horse for CL spots. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

We should just buy quality now and forget quantity. We have kids capable of coming into the team on the odd occasion they might be needed. How else are they going to get experience?

Three top signings only. Neto, Bissouma and McNeil or three suitable equivalents. Add our back 5, Luiz, Jack and Ollie to that and we would have some team. We would also have plenty in reserve with the likes of Heaton, Guilbert, Hause, McGinn, Ramsey, Sanson, Berty, Wes, AEG and Davis. Plus youngsters Carney, Louie, etc.

Heaton and Guilbert will most likely be off at the end of the season so we lose a bit of depth there. 

3 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

Are you for real?

Obviously out first 11 can hang with anyone. It is the 13th and 14th men which are the issue. We don't have players who can come on and improve us. We need a little bit more quality in the first 11 which is why we should spend 75-100 mil on a DM and LW.

But then any of the rest of the budget including from player sales should go to depth pieces because we cannot play Taylor or Elmo and expect to get results. Or have Jacob Ramsey as our only attacking minded midfielder off the bench. 

2 minutes ago, dubbs said:

Heaton and Guilbert will most likely be off at the end of the season so we lose a bit of depth there. 

Exactly. As much as I like Guilbert he is almost certainly gone. With his suggestions our team would almost certainly look like this. 

Martinez/Steer/Youth

Cash/elmo/Kessler

Konsa/Engels

Mings/Hause

Targett/Taylor

Luiz/Mcginn

Bissouma/Nakamba

Grealish/Sanson/Ramsey

Neto/ El Ghazi/Trez

Mcneil/Traore

Watkins/Wesley/KD

That's the backups to our back 5 who I wouldn't want near the pitch. Barely Upgrades over Traore and El Ghazi (we should spunk most of our money in 2 players rather than 3 to get as good as we can get then the rest goes to depth). No depth for watkins again as we can't be sure about wesley and who knows with KD.

Still no true creative players in the bench and no one who can keep us afloat if grealish is out. 

It’s going to be difficult window, we need quality but also need depth, the fullback position with Target and Cash are nailed on positions I can’t see us signing 2 fullbacks as backup to them might sign one, but Elmo might be here another season or Guilbert will fill in as second choice  can’t see the point in selling Guilbert for £3m - £5m and having to replace him it would probably cost £15m to get someone half decent, I’d rather us concentrate on finding a quality midfielder and winger

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

That's shit depth and you know it. Neto and Mcneil are less productive than AEG or Traore. There's no reason to spunk 40 mil on them. Bissouma is great though would love him. 

We need 2 big signings that are worth 80 mil to improve the first team quality but after that the key is depth. This season our first 11 can beat anyone but our depth is so poor if our players get tired we don't have a valid way to change up the game that will make us more likely to score a goal. We need an attacking player on par with grealish someone like Oyarzabal would be massive and would make us a dark horse for CL spots. 

Neto would be our second best player. The kid is class. I don’t think we are at the stage to have amazing depth. That will come in time by continuing to invest in the youth set up. Until then there is always going to be a need for some fire fighting now and then.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Neto would be our second best player. The kid is class. I don’t think we are at the stage to have amazing depth. That will come in time by continuing to invest in the youth set up. Until then there is always going to be a need for some fire fighting now and then.

Mings and martinez would still be better. And yes neto would be an upgrade but not enough of an upgrade to warrant spending that much money on him. Especially since we desperately need a right footed LW rather than a leftie. 

Someone like oyarzabal (14g, 9a, 45m) or Diaby (10 goals 15 assists 40 matches ) would be massive but if they are out of reach someone like thuram (10g, 13a 40m) or Rebic (7g, 9a 32m) would be preferable. And if we are going for a Left footed player Leon Bailey would be my choice given he has refound his from and has scored 15 goals and got 12 assists in 41 appearances. 

Compared to neto 6g, 7a, 38m. Although he is the youngest of the players he would also be the most expensive aside from oyarzabal because he is younger and better than Jota and wolves sold him for 35 mil. So he'd cost at least 40 most likely 50 mil. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Mings and martinez would still be better. And yes neto would be an upgrade but not enough of an upgrade to warrant spending that much money on him. Especially since we desperately need a right footed LW rather than a leftie. 

Someone like oyarzabal (14g, 9a, 45m) or Diaby (10 goals 15 assists 40 matches ) would be massive but if they are out of reach someone like thuram (10g, 13a 40m) or Rebic (7g, 9a 32m) would be preferable. And if we are going for a Left footed player Leon Bailey would be my choice given he has refound his from and has scored 15 goals and got 12 assists in 41 appearances. 

Compared to neto 6g, 7a, 38m. Although he is the youngest of the players he would also be the most expensive aside from oyarzabal because he is younger and better than Jota and wolves sold him for 35 mil. So he'd cost at least 40 most likely 50 mil. 

Lots of YouTube homework for me there. I will enjoy checking out some of those guys.

I agree about Emi. He is world class. Maybe the best gk in the league. I still can’t believe we got him for so little. He is also a world class bloke.

My priorities this summer would be.

Spend big on...
- LW/LF
- RW/RF
- CDM

Then try and sign a young LB to be an understudy to Targett. 

I'd also be bringing Freddie back to be backup RB when Elmo leaves. 

Then depending on who we sign, we could setup in a 4-2-3-1 with Jack either playing LW or through the middle. 

• Like 4

Marcus Thuram was always one I loved the idea of but with us nearly getting relegated and Gladbach being a CL team was total dreamland stuff. Can now possibly wish for it with more realism but he'll almost certainly be linked with more established sides if he were to even leave. Cracking young player though, can cover a few positions quite naturally and has all the physical attributes you'd need to settle into the PL easier than other imports might.

My priority would be the best number 10 we can find - Barkley worked an absolute treat right up until he didn't... We need an AMC to play in the space given up by doubling up on Jack, playing off Jack and ollie, the role is right the player was wrong, get that player right and we'll be a better team

Then another winger but that depends on how much confidence the club has in traore finding consistency in his 2nd season, personally I don't think he will 

starting CM pushing mcginn on to the bench, back up LB and CB with engels and Taylor leaving 

5 players, 3 of them key big signings 2 of them squad players 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Marcus Thuram was always one I loved the idea of but with us nearly getting relegated and Gladbach being a CL team was total dreamland stuff. Can now possibly wish for it with more realism but he'll almost certainly be linked with more established sides if he were to even leave. Cracking young player though, can cover a few positions quite naturally and has all the physical attributes you'd need to settle into the PL easier than other imports might.

I dont want him at Villa for his disgusting red card he got recently for spitting, absolute scumbag especially in a time of Covid

10 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I dont want him at Villa for his disgusting red card he got recently for spitting, absolute scumbag especially in a time of Covid

Aye that was a shame alright. As I say I don't think we'd even get him anyway for that moral dilemma to even be an issue.

1 hour ago, MotoMkali said:

Obviously out first 11 can hang with anyone. It is the 13th and 14th men which are the issue. We don't have players who can come on and improve us. We need a little bit more quality in the first 11 which is why we should spend 75-100 mil on a DM and LW.

But then any of the rest of the budget including from player sales should go to depth pieces because we cannot play Taylor or Elmo and expect to get results. Or have Jacob Ramsey as our only attacking minded midfielder off the bench. 

Whilst I agree that strength in depth is our most glaring weakness I don’t agree with the principle of buying back up players. We should where possible buy players who are better or at least as good as our current first team are. They should be able to push them for a place and be able to step in when required without weakening us. 

OK that’s setting the bar pretty high or probably impossible. I think only Man City have a squad that’s capable of even approaching that. Nevertheless it should at least be an aim when setting out a broad approach to recruitment.

I do believe that our current development strategy does at least add future strength to that aim. We certainly have invested heavily in that department in regards to young players, coaches and behind the scenes facilities. Lots of joined up thinking in developing a style of play right throughout the club from the young kids to the first team.