Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

Just now, Jas10 said:

Heaton linked to Man Poo.

Swap for Tuanzebe?

Heaton is out of contract I think so won't be worth anything in the summer.

Oh right, yeah there are a few out of contract. Be great to bring the squad age down even further - exciting to have a young(est?), bright squad and we can add better quality players with more longevity in their place.

1 hour ago, Indigo said:

Marcus Thuram was always one I loved the idea of but with us nearly getting relegated and Gladbach being a CL team was total dreamland stuff. Can now possibly wish for it with more realism but he'll almost certainly be linked with more established sides if he were to even leave. Cracking young player though, can cover a few positions quite naturally and has all the physical attributes you'd need to settle into the PL easier than other imports might.

Him and Zakaria would be amazing. Would instantly put us in the mix for top 4 imo. 

41 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Whilst I agree that strength in depth is our most glaring weakness I don’t agree with the principle of buying back up players. We should where possible buy players who are better or at least as good as our current first team are. They should be able to push them for a place and be able to step in when required without weakening us. 

OK that’s setting the bar pretty high or probably impossible. I think only Man City have a squad that’s capable of even approaching that. Nevertheless it should at least be an aim when setting out a broad approach to recruitment.

I do believe that our current development strategy does at least add future strength to that aim. We certainly have invested heavily in that department in regards to young players, coaches and behind the scenes facilities. Lots of joined up thinking in developing a style of play right throughout the club from the young kids to the first team. 

If we do that we spend 130 mil on 3 players. Instead of 100 mil on 2 and then 30 mil on understudies for instance. Where our first 11 is at right now it needs a little bit more quality in midfield and some in the final third but we lack serviceable backups for 6 or 7 positions (depending on if wesley comes back fully fit by the summer). We desperately need reinforcements across the backline, for a GK (Steer might be fine but is so injury prone we for sure need a 3rd keeper), and for RW - trez maybe put until December and if he isn't fully fit his running will be gone.

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

My priority would be the best number 10 we can find - Barkley worked an absolute treat right up until he didn't... We need an AMC to play in the space given up by doubling up on Jack, playing off Jack and ollie, the role is right the player was wrong, get that player right and we'll be a better team

Then another winger but that depends on how much confidence the club has in traore finding consistency in his 2nd season, personally I don't think he will 

starting CM pushing mcginn on to the bench, back up LB and CB with engels and Taylor leaving 

5 players, 3 of them key big signings 2 of them squad players 

We already have the best 10 in the world. We just need a better winger to out on his left. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

We already have the best 10 in the world. We just need a better winger to out on his left. 

What makes you believe Jack is a 10? Has he really ever played as a 10? He's a LW and a bloody good one at that!

2 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

1 more season. 

Source? Transfermarkt and any other source I've seen has it ending in the summer but that Villa are interested in giving him a new contract.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Indigo said:

Cannot believe that we're approaching a transfer window where the expectation is that we'll be targeting a calibre of player that will enable is to potentially make a more realistic push for Europe and yet Phillip Billing is a name that still appears. Getting to the point where he'll have to join Rashica, Januzaj etc in hypothetical signing folklore based on pure suggestion alone.

It's bizarre as he's not even a DM which is the point people are spectacularly missing. Read an interview in the Times yesterday with Solanke and apparently Woodgate has moved Billing up to number 10 positon to press a bit more so we'd be effectively spending 15m on someone who hasn't played DM for ages and would just be another box to box midfielder and we have loads of those already.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sne said:

Source? Transfermarkt and any other source I've seen has it ending in the summer but that Villa are interested in giving him a new contract.

Would be odd for us to sign him for 7m and just give him a two year deal.

I can see him moving on as Steer is more of a number 2 at this point. Heaton left exact situation he was in at Burnley to join us so he'll want to play some games somewhere.

On 30/04/2021 at 10:22, WooJung said:

Am I alone in not wanting us to splash the reported 40 million pounds on Tammy? I do want us to buy a back up striker but I think there's a lot to be bought for much less money, I'm happy with Watkins starting so even if they are marginally worse than Tammy but come say for half the price (I don't think that would be unrealistic) that would allow us to better invest in areas where we desperately need improvement (wings and central midfield above all). We'll also need to replace Taylor an probably Engels too. 

I'm slightly in the same boat. I really like Tammy and think he would be good for us, but I think it would be a big outlay when there are really other priorities. I'm wondering if we wouldn't do well to find someone who can play both centrally and out wide to kill two birds. I've got Timo Weah from Lille in mind, specifically, as someone who brings pace, energy, and skill to the team and can fit in anywhere along the front line.

We're going to need a dynamic midfielder, and if we go big, I feel like that should be where we go big.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, thabucks said:

I do not want us to spunk £75mill on McNeil & Tammy and I could not rationally tell You why. It’s weird. 

i agree with regard to Tammy, we dont need a new first choice striker this summer.

However, McNeil is a very good and young player, exactly the position we do need to upgrade (right wing), i would 100% take McNeil.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

i agree with regard to Tammy, we dont need a new first choice striker this summer.

However, McNeil is a very good and young player, exactly the position we do need to upgrade (right wing), i would 100% take McNeil.

I think he plays on the left. 

McNeill is improving every season and is still only 21 he doesn't score enough but he creates chances.

Six assists last season and five this season in the Premier League.

If they wanted £50 million for Tarkowski I'd imagine they'll want more for McNeill which is why it's unlikely.

I think we'll get more value for money elsewhere...

McNeil does play on the left for Burnley but I think that's largely due to Dyche playing meat and two veg football with a more old-fashioned centre forward in Wood who thrives on crosses.  I'm sure he could easily transfer to the right wing if needed in a Dean team.

16 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I think he plays on the left. 

hmm, my bad then, even so, i would move Grealish to a no.10 and have McNeil on the left and a new RW also then :P

McNeil is left footed though, so i would imagine he could play as a right inside winger??

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, daggy_333 said:

What makes you believe Jack is a 10? Has he really ever played as a 10? He's a LW and a bloody good one at that!

Pretty sure that amazing run we had in December (when Barkley was injured) Jack was playing at 10. Have I misremembered that?