Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

9 minutes ago, Awol said:

Pretty sure that amazing run we had in December (when Barkley was injured) Jack was playing at 10. Have I misremembered that? 

Was 5 games, 2 wins (Brom and Palace) 2 draws (Burnley and Chelsea) and a loss to Man U 

In the 10 games before that we won 6 and lost 4.

And in the 7 games following those 5 games in ACM we won 3 lost 3 and drew 1 with him back at LW.

Then he got injured.

Edited by sne

This summer is such a big opportunity for us with a lot of the other clubs being affected more to COVID than us, not just in the PL but around Europe too.

I think we'll have to be patient though as teams will start panicking towards the end of the window and will start slashing the prices of their players.

Edited by villarule123

16 hours ago, messi11 said:

we dont need tammy., its not an area we need to improve right now. Spend money on wingers and midfield

Depends a lot on how Wesley comes back. 

Imagine if Ollie breaks a leg and Wesley is a shadow of his former self (the former self which hadn't even proved himself before he got injured anway) 

Then we've got ro rely on Davis and are just 1 more injury away from playing wingers as strikers. 

I don't think it's a priority but we've still got to think about another striker I feel. 

12 minutes ago, Awol said:

Pretty sure that amazing run we had in December (when Barkley was injured) Jack was playing at 10. Have I misremembered that? 

1 hour ago, daggy_333 said:

What makes you believe Jack is a 10? Has he really ever played as a 10? He's a LW and a bloody good one at that!

Grealish himself has said he prefers playing as a 10, i think he only really started playing on the left in the PL since we got promoted and our wingers just werent very good and Grealish was....well......world class?

If we can get a top level no.10 this summer i would have no issues keeping Grealish on the left, but i would be tempted to buy two new top draw wingers and move Grealish to no.10, where he said himself he prefers to play.

38 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

If we can get a top level no.10 this summer i would have no issues keeping Grealish on the left, but i would be tempted to buy two new top draw wingers and move Grealish to no.10, where he said himself he prefers to play.

Agree, when we aren’t so one dimensional in terms of attacking output Smith can afford to bring him a little bit deeper and central - especially as that’s where he wants to play. 

46 minutes ago, sne said:

Was 5 games, 2 wins (Brom and Palace) 2 draws (Burnley and Chelsea) and a loss to Man U 

In Villa-land that’s excellent form! (And Utd cheated..) 

Point is with Ollie in front of him and better players either side I think he’d thrive in the 10 role. Also gives him more room to roam instead of being pinned up against the touch line by two right backs. 

• Like 2

If we are really serious about building a squad for Europe we need quality in depth then i think we should be signing proven players alongside young players with huge potentials that are nearing their best years. I would love for us to sign someone like say, Nabil Fekir (27) in midfield and Sander Berge (23 ) for DM. For the flanks, we should sign Emi Buendia (24) and Leon Bailey (23). Both of them are comfortable playing on either sides so we can swap them around depending on the opposition. Im not sure who to add for left back maybe that brentford kid, Rico Henry (23) that the gaffer used to manage. 

All of them are quality footballers full of creativity & end product and would start in any top 10 PL sides. Im not suggesting we buy all of them but any 3 out of those options and we look a much better side. We need these type of players so that we can finally rotate the squad without looking clueless when Jack inevitably gets injured. 

4 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

No point then. We’ve got too many decent, run of the mill, slightly inconsistent midfielders. Whatever your opinion on McGinn, Nakamba, Luiz, Sanson, Barkley and Ramsey, I think it’s fair to say none are as good in their position as our back 5, Grealish and Watkins. We don’t need to add depth in central midfield, what we need is top quality. I don’t mind if we only sign one central midfielder in the Summer as long as they’re top class and command a starting position. 

Completely agree. It's not exactly going to be easy or cheap to improve the central midfield. 

Didn't Sheffield United pay 20m for Berge?

Just checked, 22m. So unless he's got a relegation release clause for about 15m it's going to be around that price.

That's the issue for me, paying 20m + for someone I don't feel will be a difference maker to our first 11. At least Nakamba was about 12m so you have to accept that's the sort of fee nowadays for run of the mill squad players but anything from 20m or near to it should significantly improve our first 11 as Emi, Watkins and Cash all have done. I just don't get the same feeling from Berge from what I've sene of him at Sheffield United.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

I hope the club are looking to bring in three 30-35m players. Concentrate on quality over quantity. 

Im more than happy for Hause to cover for Targett if it means we get to sign a quality winger or central midfielder. 

• Like 3

I recall Berge was very highly rated before he signed for Sheff Utd and it was considered a coup when they got him.

To be fair, no one has performed well at Utd this year so would be willing to give him a chance here.