Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

I’m still hoping that Connor gets loaned out and it enables us to sign another centre mid (defensive). There’s still time for it to happen. I doubt Connor fancies a season of not even making the match day squad. 

6 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

I agree with most of what you’ve but there are things which we’ll wait for an answer for before going into conclusions.

How did we lost? And whom too?

How many times we looked clueless without Jack? 

Actually how many games did DS looked good with us without Jack? 2 wins out of 15 or 17 in the Championship, then out of 14 in the PL.

In the Championship we had a good for until Jack injured, so it’s not as if the team didn’t gel.

So until we see how would DS react, it would still be a worry. 

All of witnessed Lerner’s days, as much as it’s different but the feeling of the setback after a player is gone was really bad. If we found ourselves in relegation places, it won’t help. We can’t afford to be in a relegation battle. For me I think midtable would be fantastic but I’m always hopeful for more.

I like DS and wish he improves with us, I’m just saying that he needs to show what would make us calm down. 

Dean had to accommodate JG and rely on him to an extent due to him being our only exceptional player at the time (initially), there has always been too much focus, limelight and reliance on one player.

It overshadowed the club imo… I also don’t like the feeling that we were having to pander to the guy to keep him happy… it was all about him and ended up being all about him (which is why he was desperate to move), that’s what he was most concerned with. I doubt he ever really loved or supported the club has much as he made out. Anyway, sod him.

Now that he’s gone, we can look forward to a more balanced side with multiple threats that will entertain and excite us…

I have faith in Dean, he’s always shown what a good manager he is and how he endorses attacking football…

Let’s not forget how we had our arses handed to us when we had to face his Brentford teams… he has managed without JG in the past…

I’m looking forward to this “new era” rather than feeling like disaster is ensuing… we just need to be a bit patient, it’s a time of transition… let’s try to understand that.

We are going to sign more players, whether that’s in this window or future ones, that are going to continue to improve us and raise our levels. We won’t stand still or accept mediocrity… but there’s no shortcut or quick fix either.

You also have to have a little faith in your existing players and allow them to improve, to prove themselves, rather than discarding or replacing them so quickly or writing them off as many of us do e.g. Sanson.

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

He'll always have a special place in Villa fans hearts for that.

I think he’s tarnished that, I think a lot won’t remember him like that now. Most of the Villa fans I know don’t have a high opinion of him now, whether that will fade who knows but I think that sentiment you are suggesting may not be as widespread throughout the fan base as you might think even after people have calmed down.  Like a great girlfriend for years who cheats on you once, you never look at her in the same way every again.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, TRO said:

Yeah, I get that and that business looks ok, if we can get them all rocking and rolling.

but I still have a doubt about our defensive capability, particularly from midfield.

100% agree central midfield is a concern.  And if we can spot it then hopefully DS and co see it too.   Problem they'll have is everyone knows we have the "he who shall not be named" money. 

2 minutes ago, macandally said:

I don’t think we have a problem beyond a lack of fitness.  Three points today and a good performance and the world will be a better place.

The nagging concern is after today and Brentford we have some difficult games to come.  As Sheffield United will testify, the longer you go without a win, the harder it gets to get out of that slump.  Watched them against the baggies the other night and arguably they are still in that slump.

Imperative we get up to match fitness soon and get some wins on the board.

Not having a go but I just don’t buy the match fitness argument. We were much the better team in the final quarter of the game last week which would suggest that our fitness was fine. 

I agree that we need to get three points on the board though. Watford was a disaster but it’s done. Back to back wins would give us a nice boost to take on some more difficult fixtures. We simply have to find some consistent performances quickly.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, dubbs said:

100% agree central midfield is a concern.  And if we can spot it then hopefully DS and co see it too.   Problem they'll have is everyone knows we have the "he who shall not be named" money. 

I don't believe Dean can't see it....His answer though is to just out score the opposition....when that doesn't happen, the emphasis fall back on defence.

In the championship its easier to take that view, because the defenders are not so good, so goals are easier to come by....... in the Prem if you can't defend you are toast.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, macandally said:

I don’t think we have a problem beyond a lack of fitness.  Three points today and a good performance and the world will be a better place.

The nagging concern is after today and Brentford we have some difficult games to come.  As Sheffield United will testify, the longer you go without a win, the harder it gets to get out of that slump.  Watched them against the baggies the other night and arguably they are still in that slump.

Imperative we get up to match fitness soon and get some wins on the board.

THIS

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Not having a go but I just don’t buy the match fitness argument. We were much the better team in the final quarter of the game last week which would suggest that our fitness was fine. 

I agree that we need to get three points on the board though. Watford was a disaster but it’s done. Back to back wins would give us a nice boost to take on some more difficult fixtures. We simply have to find some consistent performances quickly.

or did Watford, just feel job done, just contain them, and our better quality just shone through....John McGinn/Leon Bailey goal was class and Berties dribble was magic......but its the mundane stuff we struggle with.

being 3 goals down doesn't give much scope for a revival, their job was done.

personally, I could count on one hand where I think our intensity has been off the charts, I don't think its ever been class leading in recent times....We haven't got the Leeds levels.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I would suggest there is a difference between physical fitness and match fitness.  The fact we got better the longer the game went on supports we started to find some of that match fitness and tempo

56 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Dean had to accommodate JG and rely on him to an extent due to him being our only exceptional player at the time (initially), there has always been too much focus, limelight and reliance on one player.

It overshadowed the club imo… I also don’t like the feeling that we were having to pander to the guy to keep him happy… it was all about him and ended up being all about him (which is why he was desperate to move), that’s what he was most concerned with. I doubt he ever really loved or supported the club has much as he made out. Anyway, sod him.

Now that he’s gone, we can look forward to a more balanced side with multiple threats that will entertain and excite us…

I have faith in Dean, he’s always shown what a good manager he is and how he endorses attacking football…

Let’s not forget how we had our arses handed to us when we had to face his Brentford teams… he has managed without JG in the past…

I’m looking forward to this “new era” rather than feeling like disaster is ensuing… we just need to be a bit patient, it’s a time of transition… let’s try to understand that.

We are going to sign more players, whether that’s in this window or future ones, that are going to continue to improve us and raise our levels. We won’t stand still or accept mediocrity… but there’s no shortcut or quick fix either.

You also have to have a little faith in your existing players and allow them to improve, to prove themselves, rather than discarding or replacing them so quickly or writing them off as many of us do e.g. Sanson.

I'd taking unearthing another Grealish over a balanced side tbh (unlikely as that is)

36 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

So opinions on potential signings and discussions on solid players is all good but do we have any credible links?

It seems not. No news is good news, or is it? ;)

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, KangarooVillan said:

I couldn’t agree more, it’s hard to find a single thread at the moment that hasn’t been overtaken by manic, hysterical and irrational doomsdayers.

2 years ago we were playing in the championship and in the space of 2 months many on here have lost faith in the project, the owners, the coach, the recruiting and a significant percentage of the players. It’s insane jumping at shadows type paranoia.

I can only assume it’s some kind of bizarre Stockholm Syndrome induced attachment anxiety from the Lerner years, but hopefully it passes soon.

People go on line when they want to moan ! Hence poor feedback for example has to be taken in context that people who are happy often don't bother with a review.

Obviously massive strides in the past 3 years - and another mid table finish would be fine by me.

My concern, anxiety, Stockholm thingy , fear call it whatever is that from now on - the money invested will yield much smaller gains and people may think we'll what's point throwing another £100m at players to only get 7th (for example) 

I think know it maybe a waiting game until some of the youth prospects bloom into the real deal.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Here’s a couple:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Just adding to my fellow posters offering on a link or two. 

Letter L Varsity Lettering Vinyl Decal | Etsy237 Cartoon Of Ink Pot Illustrations & Clip Art - iStock

Seems things have dried up here a little transfer wise...

Edited by Steero113