Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

13 hours ago, Villa 59 said:

Good old Sammy. Remember him battering Bob Wilson at Highbury

Yes, I was there and at the replay as one of the 47,821 at Villa Park that night, when we cheered Sammy on each time he came within 10 yards of Bob (who was visibly unnerved, he was their only player wearing brown shorts that night wasn't he?) Armstrong, Ball, Kennedy and Radford, couldn't stop us that evening. Happy Days! Six foot two, eyes of blue, Sammy Morgan's after you....

arsenal-goalkeeper-bob-wilson-and-villa-striker-sammy-morgan-go-head-to-head-at-villa-park-138884976.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm a little worried we might not sign a midfielder this window. We need Anguissa, Doucoure or even better if we could land Sarr or JWP 

We need some new additions there. We've the same bodies as we had starting our first season back in the Prem. 

If we are done this window .........any theories as to why ?

Most logical would be that for some reason the financial brakes have gone on.

Ashley Preece has quoted DS as saying that we wouldn't have signed Ings and Bailey had Grealish not been sold.

It was glaringly obvious The midfield needed upgrading last season. They must have high hopes for Sanson if no one comes in in these remaining weeks of the window. We are stacked but mainly with samey samey types who arent likely to dominate games. Maybe Dougie improves, maybe Sanson stays fit and has a top season, but its a big gamble imo.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, hippo said:

Ashley Preece has quoted DS as saying that we wouldn't have signed Ings and Bailey had Grealish not been sold.

Is that what he said, or was that Preece’s insightful interpretation of what he said? 

12 minutes ago, hippo said:

I think it might be a case of we tried to get all our business done before Jack went so we're not paying ridiculous money. 

I think we want JWP but it would need a silly offer in order for Southampton to take it. 

Could be a case that we wait till next summer to try again. I don't think we're desperate and therefore won't just sign a midfield player for the sake of it. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, hippo said:

Bailey was always coming in. Ings was Jack money.

Only reason we won't sign another player is if they join other clubs instead of us, or if the selling club is asking stupid money over the odds of the players value to us in signing this window. 

I'm still hopeful we'll sign that additional midfielder.

18 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

It was glaringly obvious The midfield needed upgrading last season. They must have high hopes for Sanson if no one comes in in these remaining weeks of the window. We are stacked but mainly with samey samey types who arent likely to dominate games. Maybe Dougie improves, maybe Sanson stays fit and has a top season, but its a big gamble imo.

agreed it's a bit of a gamble. personally I'm hoping that a midfield with Sanson, Douggie and McGinn can kick off and that we sacrifice some attacking players in a 4 3 3.

17 minutes ago, hippo said:

I take Preece with a pinch of salt.

We have from Deans own mouth that there were exciting names on the wish list at the beginning of the window, so then to only bring Buendia in doesn’t fit.

As for not getting anybody else if that what eventuates then I don’t think it’s financial breaks but more we couldn’t get the players we wanted and this crew don’t want second best.  They have a plan, they have their stats and recruitment models and they will bide their time.

18 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Clearly forgot about Sanson. Again. IF we get improved McGinn and Luiz performances and Sanson is an upgrade on them then we're ok. But we really need the upgrade on Nakamba to have the right mix of options for midfield.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Is that what he said, or was that Preece’s insightful interpretation of what he said? 

I’ve seen it quoted elsewhere too. Gregg Evans article in the Athletic. Saying, from Smith,  Buendia signed to play with Grealish but once they got wind that the City move was happening, they acted quickly to get Bailey and Ings in (although interestingly, and slightly concerning, it was made out like it was more to soften the blow than any great analysis and thought out plan).

Here is the quote from the Athletic article today:

Scratch Emiliano Buendia off the list, as he was signed initially from Norwich in June to play alongside Grealish, but throw both Leon Bailey and Danny Ings — who cost £55 million combined at the start of this month — into the mix as players signed on the back of the former captain’s record departure.

Would those latter two players be in claret and blue today if Grealish had decided to turn down the champions?

“Probably not,” admits Villa head coach Dean Smith. “We got early news that Jack might be going to Manchester City so we moved very quickly to make that loss less visible, if that’s at all possible.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-transfers-sawiris-lukaku-21333320

but, last week, head coach Smith insisted that £60million wouldn't have been spent on Leon Bailey and Danny Ings had Grealish stayed. The club-record arrival of Emi Buendia, according to Smith, was always meant to happen with Villa set to pay up to £38million for the Argentinian if add-ons are triggered.

14 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Scratch Emiliano Buendia off the list, as he was signed initially from Norwich in June to play alongside Grealish, but throw both Leon Bailey and Danny Ings — who cost £55 million combined at the start of this month — into the mix as players signed on the back of the former captain’s record departure.

Would those latter two players be in claret and blue today if Grealish had decided to turn down the champions?

“Probably not,” admits Villa head coach Dean Smith. “We got early news that Jack might be going to Manchester City so we moved very quickly to make that loss less visible, if that’s at all possible.”

So Grealish left and we replaced him. I’d imagine that the recruitment team do pretty detailed research in to loads of players, most of whom we never sign. However unplanned situations can always arise, generally stuff like injuries, but whilst we held on to the hope Grealish may stay, we could hardly have thought that it was never going to happen. I’d imagine that the negotiations happened very quickly, but doubt very much that the research into the signings were any less thorough than any other signing. 

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-transfers-sawiris-lukaku-21333320

but, last week, head coach Smith insisted that £60million wouldn't have been spent on Leon Bailey and Danny Ings had Grealish stayed. The club-record arrival of Emi Buendia, according to Smith, was always meant to happen with Villa set to pay up to £38million for the Argentinian if add-ons are triggered.

Grealish left, targets changed. Surely that would be pretty logical? 

17 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

So they signed Buendia to play with Jack and then replaced Jack with Ings and Bailey. That is my takeaway from the quote. 

If this is the case, were the club only looking to sign Buendia then this Summer if Jack stayed? Really? No chance. The club must have been looking at Buendia and at least one more - a better central midfielder. They have to have been. 
If the board genuinely want to improve on our position last season, then they must realise that we don't have enough to do that - or at best, we may finish 9th/10th. 

NSWE are the best thing to happen to this club in a long time and if they want to take a year to consolidate after the Grealish exit then that's fine by me. They owe us nothing and we shouldn't be entitled enough to demand European football so soon after almost being declared bankrupt! I just hope they know the risks of not pushing on and trying to qualify for Europe this season  - the bigger teams cherry pick our players again. Baileys dad was quite clear when he signed that he'll move on if the club doesn't match his ambition of playing in Europe very soon. This is just one example. 

I'm 100% of the mindset that if we don't sign at least one central midfielder, we'll be scrambling around in midtable again this season. Smith might also be a little concerned because if the expectation is to improve on last years 11th place finish, he might be out of a job before the season is over. 

Let's see what happens in the next 2 weeks. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

I was in the Trinity Road with my Dad and I heard his leg break. Andy Gray, I think it was ran up and pushed Roberton over. 

Fast forward a few years and I was selling to pubs. One week I was in Edinburgh and saw a pub called Cropley’s, I went in and framed on the wall there was a Scotland shirt, an Arsenal shirt and of course a Villa shirt. The landlord was indeed Alex himself. We had a great chat and his Mom even made us a cup of tea. A lovely man with a lovely Mom. 

Yep i was in the Trinity with my dad and the sound of the break was audible.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I really should stop checking this thread this thing in the morning ahead of my work emails.

There will be time enough for checking work emails after the transfer window closes.

• Haha 2