Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

4 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

What we have essentially done is split Grealish up into 3 players instead of one. Obviously we will likely miss him and there are no guarantees Bailey, Buendia and Ings will all be successes, but the risk is spread out. All their combined threats are now spread out too which benefits us hugely if it pays off and all hit the ground running for us. Add to that that we still have our threats from last season in Watkins, AEG and Traore and I think it starts to look really good. Maybe it's only enough to add 1 or to places in the final league table or we don't really move. But I think the most important thing here is that we do not regress after the loss of arguably our best ever player. You could do a lot worse than that. I'm personally pretty optimistic and think that we will have come out of this summer stronger than last year. I still believe Sanson will surprise a lot of people and give us more solidity and tenacity in the center of the pitch. Things aren't looking too bad really imo.

We've signed 3 Top, Top forwards, as well as strengthened in other areas. The notion that the squad/first 11 is weaker, must be purely down to people having Grealish withdrawal syndrome or something., and borderline farcical.

Jacks makes Man City's squad incrementally stronger. The players we have signed make us stronger by a much larger increment than having Jack alone.

Unless they ALL flop, and in that case, their would be deeper issues than the players.

• Like 2

https://www.avfc.co.uk/news/2021/august/The-Presser-Smith-on-Watford-opener/

On whether he’s still hoping to bring some new faces in…

“I think we’re quite satisfied where we’re at at the moment, we’ve got a really healthy squad. Some good numbers in there and there will be some outgoings on loan before the window closes.”

5 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

So no more signings by the sound of it. Is everyone confident in the central midfield?

Have you heard something? He didn’t say that at the presser, he just said he’s quite satisfied where the squad is at the moment which generally means if we get no more then we’ll be ok but doesn’t mean we don’t have more irons in the fire.

We signed Tuanzebe after Purslow's comments. One could tell that Smith was being coy, for example he was also asked about Ward Prowse, and just said that he doesn't talk about other teams players.

Quite right to send a signal to other (potential selling) clubs that we’re happy with where we are.  Doesn’t mean there won’t be more in, but we’re not desperate and are not going to be stitched up on price.  Wouldn’t be the end of the world for us to go with what we have and strengthen in January if really necessary.

• Like 1

Sounded like a standard Dean answer, we'll try for one more big name, he quickly followed with the outgoings on loan and was coy when asked about JWP.

Even if we don't sign anyone, we look stronger than last season across the board and if the existing players continue to improve as we've seen before, there's no reason we can't challenge for Europe.

Dean and his coaching team have shown they can improve players and that in itself is very exciting.

33 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I disagree. 

Grealish is great but he's not better than having Buendia, Bailey and Ings on the pitch at the same time. 

We're a better team, we just need to be patient as it clicks.

Well they don’t all get to play in place of Grealish. You have to drop 2 other players from last season’s 11 as well 😁

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He said he is happy with the squad. That doesn’t mean no more signings.

Yeah I'm certain we are still in the market for improvements but at the same time it's not a Brewster's Millions scenario where we have to spend all the money this window.

Would be stupid for Smith to say we are unhappy with the squad and desperate for signings.

• Like 1