Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

1 minute ago, jacketspuds said:

I think we are one top midfielder away from having a team that could finish Top 6.

Although probably not quite as bad, it'll be like the MON era where we were one top striker away from a Top 4 finish, but brought in Heskey.

With Mon, we started losing players beginning with Barry then Milner, the rest is history. This time we had a setback by Jack going. But at the same time we were ahead of the whole board plan. We were on rush to keep Jack. Under Mon we stayed 6th three seasons. This time we have not been a top 10 yet. I don’t think we shall rush the whole plan if we think prices are not right, or the choices are not the longer term ones. 
That said, I think we shall get a quality DM, but as a proper upgrade on Nakamba. Nakamba didn’t have any bad game last season. I don’t think he’s a bad player at all. Also without Grealish we were less creative with or without Nakamba. 
I don’t think there is any guarantee that any player would get us top 6, yet we can’t say with this team we won’t get it aswell. I just want us to get the best target. Not to get ones and start to offload then with losses next season.

13 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

Saying 'we're looking for players in x or y position' would send out the wrong signals: a) to other clubs seeking to inflate prices etc. And b) to our current players who play in those positions - feeling unloved ahead of the season opener isn't good man management. 

Nothing to see here other than Dean's usual professional demeanour. 

With football agents I really dont think that matters any more. Had jack stayed I don't think we would have got Ings + Bailey cheaper for example.

Just now, hippo said:

With football agents I really dont think that matters any more. Had jack stayed I don't think we would have got Ings + Bailey cheaper for example.

Interesting. I really don’t understand what agents do, but it’d make sense that they’d work in the background. 

I suppose it depends on if the manager has told the player in question that we’re looking to buy someone else in for their position. 

I’d love to be a fly on the wall at BMH. 

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think our stats with and without Jack last season are a little misleading. We were struggling with form even before Jack got injured and leading up to his return we were starting to look a bit better.

Jack made us better this is undeniable. However this is doing a bit of disservice to the rest of the team too. With the new additions I think we look stronger overall on paper and more fluid since we're less reliant on one player for creativity. I think Buendia will have us asking ourselves "Jack who?" in a couple of months' time.

6 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

With Mon, we started losing players beginning with Barry then Milner, the rest is history. This time we had a setback by Jack going. But at the same time we were ahead of the whole board plan. We were on rush to keep Jack. Under Mon we stayed 6th three seasons. This time we have not been a top 10 yet. I don’t think we shall rush the whole plan if we think prices are not right, or the choices are not the longer term ones. 
That said, I think we shall get a quality DM, but as a proper upgrade on Nakamba. Nakamba didn’t have any bad game last season. I don’t think he’s a bad player at all. Also without Grealish we were less creative with or without Nakamba. 
I don’t think there is any guarantee that any player would get us top 6, yet we can’t say with this team we won’t get it aswell. I just want us to get the best target. Not to get ones and start to offload then with losses next season.

I think some people at the time must have thought the signing of Downing and Delph was sufficient to cover the loss of Barry, and that the club was still moving forward.

9 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

I think the route to the top six depends on the progression of the likes Louie Barry, Chuck, JPB - 2 of those 3 cutting it in the prem we would take some stopping. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Doesn’t really make a whole lot of sense though considering Buendia played on the right or in the middle this preseason. And has usually been on the right for every other game in his career. I believe he’s only played on the left side in approximately 10% of his games throughout his career. Between Bailey and Buendia, it will most likely be Bailey move to the left.

Was Buendia playing under Deano for the bulk of his career??

Nope.

Smith likes the inverted wingers - we had Traore on the right and Jack on the left.

Norwich played a different system - Bailey will be on the right, and unless he’s central Buendia will spend most of his time on the left.

• Like 1

Just listened to the love of mcgrath podcast talking about Doucoure. Sounds like Bissouma but with added extras. Starting to really want this lad from Lens as the more i hear the better his fit would be. Would free up Luiz and also give Luiz someone to trust that he will be there clearing up behind him

This is my argument about a weaker 11 but stronger squad.

Jack used to occupy 2 defenders. Creating space for the rest of the team. Giving everyone else that extra yard on the ball. Our current players aren't quite that that level (yet).

We'll be more direct and attack with a faster tempo than before with Captain slow tempo Jack gone. For us to use our new direct players we need to be better at retaining possession with better, quicker, faster, direct passing in the midfield area.  Buendia will do this but to get the ball to him McGinns lapse of concentration or Nakambas lack of passing ability will hamper us doing so. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

So you think Jack, can occupy more defenders than 3 players?

Leon Bailey doesn't really occupy players to be fair, he just blows past them 😎

|If the combo of Buendia, Bailey, Ings, and Watkins can't cause more chaos than Jack Grealish, we need to start over.

I could even argue that he sometimes slowed it down TOO much and held it too long.

I can't get on board with this .

To be honest more often then not he would get fouled or buy a free kick and we’d do f all with it.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

So you think Jack, can occupy more defenders than 3 players?

Leon Bailey doesn't really occupy players to be fair, he just blows past them 😎

|If the combo of Buendia, Bailey, Ings, and Watkins can't cause more chaos than Jack Grealish, we need to start over.

I could even argue that he sometimes slowed it down TOO much and held it too long.

I can't get on board with this .

Agreed and made a similar point earlier. Jack never occupied 3 players and has been replaced with 3 players. We're in a much better place I think.

19 minutes ago, hippo said:

Our finishing position I reckon will be 10-12th. Which perhaps doesn't sound that exciting.

I think that's damm decent considering where were a few seasons back.

I think if we look like finishing 10-12th then Dean Smith will get sacked.

Im pretty certain that the owners are looking for European qualification this season, so 7th as a minimum.

That means improving by 7 (?) points from last season.

Yeah, it won't be acceptable to be outside the top 10 this year, I wouldn't have thought. 

Big year for Dean. I love him as our manager but this is probably his biggest year pressure wise.