Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

so what would I do....make sure the formidable forward line is fed with the ball....not necessarily a goal scoring midfielder.....We have the firepower, we need them fed and not have to keep coming back to look for the ball.

A player who can dominate the ball and start sorties.

We need a deep lying playmaker...Fabien Ruiz from Napoli would nearly make us a Top 6 team.

Last season everybody knew exactly where everyone was playing and how. Especially the opposition. Sometimes the opposition couldn't do anything about it, too often, they could. The one thing I wanted this summer is the chance to be more flexible. Less predictable. If it works we could be lethal. It's down to the coaching team to prepare the team to be able to adapt. I'm looking forward to seeing how it pans out.

• Like 2

The club have probably done enough to stand still and perhaps finish 1 or 2 places higher than last season with the transfer business we’ve done to date. 

No chance we challenge for Europe with this squad and I have a feeling the Grealish loss and the failure to improve on last seasons team will hit home around 5pm tomorrow. 

There are still three weeks of the window left so plenty of time to sign a couple more players. Will reserve judgement until then. 

6 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

The club have probably done enough to stand still and perhaps finish 1 or 2 places higher than last season with the transfer business we’ve done to date. 

No chance we challenge for Europe with this squad and I have a feeling the Grealish loss and the failure to improve on last seasons team will hit home around 5pm tomorrow. 

There are still three weeks of the window left so plenty of time to sign a couple more players. Will reserve judgement until then. 

That’s kind of how I feel. Cannot believe we’re starting the new season without an improved midfield considering it was our weakest area last season.

4 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

That’s kind of how I feel. Cannot believe we’re starting the new season without an improved midfield considering it was our weakest area last season.

If Bailey doesn’t come in and play very well from the off, we’ll be very reliant on Buendia, just like we were with Grealish.

I just don’t buy into the idea that we’ve improved all that much. We’ve probably done enough to replace Grealish’ output but how much have we actually improved? 

We still need a couple more players - DMC and AMC with Sanson and McGinn fighting it out to play as the 8. That’s the way I see it anyway. 

Edited by Delphinho123
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

If we've done enough to stand still in terms of points, we've definitely got a chance of European qualification. 55 points would've got us 7th six times in the previous 20 seasons.

• Like 4

Just now, tomsky_11 said:

If we've done enough to stand still in terms of points, we've definitely got a chance of European qualification. 55 points would've got us 7th six times in the previous 20 seasons.

I think the league has changed slightly and the gap between the top and bottom has widened. Teams like Watford, Newcastle, Norwich, Brentford, Southampton, Burnley will all struggle this season and therefore teams will take more points from them. 

I don’t see us getting anywhere near Europe with our current side tbh. Hopefully I’m proven wrong!

Central Midfield is the issue still. But if we can see that then Dean can see that. Irons will be in the fire. Lange will be all over it. 

Would love a left mid / am as well to finish it off . But i think Deano is expecting Bidace to be that man. They obviously really rate him 

• Like 1

Just now, MWARLEY2 said:

Central Midfield is the issue still. But if we can see that then Dean can see that. Irons will be in the fire. Lange will be all over it. 

Would love a left mid / am as well to finish it off . But i think Deano is expecting Bidace to be that man. They obviously really rate him 

Bidace and Chuk should really be out on loan for me. No need to rush them through. 

Hopefully I’m completely wrong and they’re both ready now! 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I'm definitely not as pessimistic as that!  The Grealish loss is huge, but with Buendia and Bailey coming in, we actually have a threat across the whole of the attacking line rather than attempting to play everything down the left.  I know we vary on where we think those players may play but, whatever the setup, the same remains true.  Add in Danny Ings - and remember that we've still got Traore and El Ghazi as squad players - and we've actually got a much more potent attacking threat in the side.

Elsewhere, nothing has changed.  The back 4 are still there and more settled after a first full season together and the midfield (whilst we'd all like to see a 'solid base' brought in) is, again, much the same with Sanson hopefully able to be slotted in.

We fell 8 points short (given the GD) of European football qualification last season.  The test will be exactly how much Grealish is missed - he's a fantastic player after all - and how quickly our new signings settle, but the squad feels stronger already, to me, and I think we're very much on par with the likes of Everton/West Ham/Leeds potentially even Arsenal on paper.  Do you honestly think there's "no chance" we compete with them?

• Like 2

Just now, bobzy said:

I'm definitely not as pessimistic as that!  The Grealish loss is huge, but with Buendia and Bailey coming in, we actually have a threat across the whole of the attacking line rather than attempting to play everything down the left.  I know we vary on where we think those players may play but, whatever the setup, the same remains true.  Add in Danny Ings - and remember that we've still got Traore and El Ghazi as squad players - and we've actually got a much more potent attacking threat in the side.

Elsewhere, nothing has changed.  The back 4 are still there and more settled after a first full season together and the midfield (whilst we'd all like to see a 'solid base' brought in) is, again, much the same with Sanson hopefully able to be slotted in.

We fell 8 points short (given the GD) of European football qualification last season.  The test will be exactly how much Grealish is missed - he's a fantastic player after all - and how quickly our new signings settle, but the squad feels stronger already, to me, and I think we're very much on par with the likes of Everton/West Ham/Leeds potentially even Arsenal on paper.  Do you honestly think there's "no chance" we compete with them?

Perhaps ‘no chance’ is a tad strong but no, I don’t think we’re quite there yet tbh. 

We’re very close, I’ll just be very confused if we don’t add another 2 starters to this side, especially as we’re currently in net profit this Summer. 

I don’t rate players like El Ghazi or Traore so mentioning them as squad players is fine but they’re both largely poor in most of the games they play.