Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

33 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Squad has improved but the first 11 hasnt

agree

and now we get to see if smiths subs policy really is due to lack of confidence in his bench, he will have talent on there this year for sure

edit - he still wont be making 3 subs at half time whilst drawing 0-0 and looking ok tomorrow so cant wait for that suggestion in the match thread

Edited by villa4europe

9 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

Quote from Deano in his press conference....

Obviously Jack going was a big loss - we wanted to keep him but we would have added more creativity and have added more creativity with Buendia whether Jack stayed or not

So - Buendia might be part of the Jack replacement plan - but he was also part of the plan if we kept him. So he's not bought using the Jack money.

Doesn't mean we're gonna spend another £40m - in the current financial climate, having money available so that we can take advantage of bargains is always wise. I trust the owners.

Don't think there's much doubt Buendia was brought in to play with Grealish. Fixed the overrealiance on Grealish and playing to one side of the pitch straight away.

I think Bailey signed either way as well. We could afford him without the Grealish money it would seem, and would have also allowed Grealish to move to his preferred 10 role.

Front line of Bailey, Watkins, Buendia and Grealish would've been silly. Shame.

• Like 1

Jack is an unbelievable player, but everything was setup to go through him. I believe we have a better "team" now and another addition in the middle will strengthen that further.

JWP would be a perfect signing, it would allow us even more flexibility to play Buendia and Bailey wide, Tuanzabe gives us the flexibility to play 5 at the back and Ollie and Ings up front too.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Emi                         emi

Cash                       cash

Targett                  targett

Konsa                    konsa

Mings                     mings

Doug                       doug

Mcginn                  mcginn

Traore                    bailey

Barkley                   buendia

Grealish                  ollie

Ollie                          ings 

We could rob Fort knox with that line up, we couldn't last year.

Think it's difficult to compare the strength of the starting 11's until we learn how we are in fact intending to line up when everyone is fit and available. On paper, even after losing Grealish I'd say this years 11 looks stronger and especially more direct. But, I'm not 100% certain on how we will fit Ings, Buendia, Bailey and Watkins into the same 11 while allowing them all to play to their strengths. We will see. Looking forward to finding out thou.

And the window is still open...

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, VillaJay said:

Jack is an unbelievable player, but everything was setup to go through him. I believe we have a better "team" now and another addition in the middle will strengthen that further.

JWP would be a perfect signing, it would allow us even more flexibility to play Buendia and Bailey wide, Tuanzabe gives us the flexibility to play 5 at the back and Ollie and Ings up front too.

I also think one of *he who must not be named's* faults is that he could slow play down unnecessarily at times, and this made it possible for teams to regroup at the back 
We are set up for pace, and I think we'll see that more this season, with Buendia showing vs Walsall how he will thread passes through a defence, which wasn't really *his* strength. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

This would be an interesting one in that I'm unsure if it would be an Under 23 signing, or a first team squad one. Obviously he's very young, but is older than his brother and older than all our youth team forwards like Barry and Young. I wonder if he'd be essentially taking the spot Wesley or Davis currnetly occupy if one leaves on loan.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RichiBoi11 said:

This would be an interesting one in that I'm unsure if it would be an Under 23 signing, or a first team squad one. Obviously he's very young, but is older than his brother and older than all our youth team forwards like Barry and Young. I wonder if he'd be essentially taking the spot Wesley or Davis currnetly occupy if one leaves on loan.

Surely couldn’t be anything more than a sweetener to get Carney on a long term contract 

1 hour ago, Lord Willard said:

Squad has improved but the first 11 hasnt

I disagree. 

Grealish is great but he's not better than having Buendia, Bailey and Ings on the pitch at the same time. 

We're a better team, we just need to be patient as it clicks.

Edited by DCJonah
  • Like 4

45 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

agree

and now we get to see if smiths subs policy really is due to lack of confidence in his bench, he will have talent on there this year for sure

edit - he still wont be making 3 subs at half time whilst drawing 0-0 and looking ok tomorrow so cant wait for that suggestion in the match thread

Now we have good players on the bench, the fifa/fm crew will be screaming for changes the first time we lose possession.

I've only seen highlights of Caleb but looks a good player... If he does sign it will be the second set of brothers that we've signed from Northampton, we've got the McWilliams brothers in the lower age groups, their elder brother Shaun McWilliams is still at Northampton and a first team player, and there's also another McWilliams brother who plays for Cardiff U23s, he also started at Northampton.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Anel Ahmedhodzic move to Atalanta still hasn't materialized and now Lokomotiv Moscow and Rubin Kazan are sniffing around. Maintain he'd be an excellent signing for us as a long term CB option.

I'd be very much up for paying the £6m-£6.5m Malmö are asking and then loaning him back for the rest of the year or season to them considering they will be playing in either the CL or the Europa League group stages during the winter. We have Axel as cover now anyway. 

• Like 1

What we have essentially done is split Grealish up into 3 players instead of one. Obviously we will likely miss him and there are no guarantees Bailey, Buendia and Ings will all be successes, but the risk is spread out. All their combined threats are now spread out too which benefits us hugely if it pays off and all hit the ground running for us. Add to that that we still have our threats from last season in Watkins, AEG and Traore and I think it starts to look really good. Maybe it's only enough to add 1 or to places in the final league table or we don't really move. But I think the most important thing here is that we do not regress after the loss of arguably our best ever player. You could do a lot worse than that. I'm personally pretty optimistic and think that we will have come out of this summer stronger than last year. I still believe Sanson will surprise a lot of people and give us more solidity and tenacity in the center of the pitch. Things aren't looking too bad really imo.

• Like 2